1957 Olds 98 chassis swap - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM

1957 Olds 98 chassis swap - any suggestions?

I want to put my '57 98 4 door body on a different frame that is more modern.Has anybody here done this and what did you use as a donor car? How about a 4x4 frame?I'm open to that too.
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by blood sweat and oil
How about a 4x4 frame?
I needed a good laugh today and that was it.. Anyway why do you want to convert to a more modern frame anyway? Is it to use disc brakes in the front? Somebody already sells the kit. Do you want to convert to a more modern engine? Or does your frame look like swiss cheese from the rust and rot on it?
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

I would have to agree. Getting a later model chassis to fit your body will be much more work than adding disk brakes to your current frame.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Past Administrator

Or just using the front clip from a later A body car, people have done that and get the whole package, suspension, engine w/mount, steering, etc. There is a 1947 Olds Model 76 Slantback with a front clip from a Cutlass or maybe a Buick, it has a 455 transplanted with all the suspension goodies. If you want to see it go on over to the H.A.M.B. Very sweet car. I think I'll try to find a picture to add here. Ow, sorry, the picture is too big, but here is the link.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
I needed a good laugh today and that was it.. Anyway why do you want to convert to a more modern frame anyway? Is it to use disc brakes in the front? Somebody already sells the kit. Do you want to convert to a more modern engine? Or does your frame look like swiss cheese from the rust and rot on it?
I agree with all of the after market parts available today you can do anything you want with the existing frame. I am just about finished with installing a 455 and turbo 400 in my 57 super 88
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM

Im not here to amuse you, I asked a straight forward question directed towards those who had done this swap or were considering it.My Olds isn't worth **** other than having good sheet metal,needs everything.If it was a well kept j2car with lots of potential I would feel obligated to restore it as a matter of principal, but it's not.I'm not into the trailer queen scene, more of a rat guy.Sooo... now I'm gonna put it on a put it on a Dodge 4x4 frame with a ford motor, paint it pink,put a plow on the front and drive it all winter in Minnesota just to **** you off Mr. 595959!LOL
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks, good links and info.I've got a 455/400 ready if I need it but I was checking wheelbase measurements of other cars and it looks like a Cadillac Eldorado 71-79 also has a 126 in wheelbase.(and it's gm with a giganto motor)There must be more to consider such as width,etc. I buy a hundred cars a year,thats how I make money. For me it would be cheaper and make more sense to put my 98 on something else and it's done.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM

I want to put my '57 98 4 door body on a different frame that is more modern.Has anybody here done this and what did you use as a donor car? How about a 4x4 frame?I'm open to that too.
There is another thread in this forum were a guy installed his 57 on a 70's model olds frame. It required lengthing the frame and changing the body mounts. Look and you will find it. The eldo's are front wheel drive and won't work for you.
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM

I would look at a 1978-96 GM B-Body chassis. I am not sure how close it is to the '57 Olds body, but I have heard of a guy who put a this chassis under a '56 Chevy. Just an idea. I would look for a '94-'96 Caprice 9C1 (police package), as this has the LT1, reinforced frame, 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS, and other goodies. Best of luck.
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Past Administrator

Now that is a good idea.
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:41 AM

Smile Plow

Western makes a really good plow and I think you can get a plastic blade for weight savings...
Im not here to amuse you, I asked a straight forward question directed towards those who had done this swap or were considering it.My Olds isn't worth **** other than having good sheet metal,needs everything.If it was a well kept j2car with lots of potential I would feel obligated to restore it as a matter of principal, but it's not.I'm not into the trailer queen scene, more of a rat guy.Sooo... now I'm gonna put it on a put it on a Dodge 4x4 frame with a ford motor, paint it pink,put a plow on the front and drive it all winter in Minnesota just to **** you off Mr. 595959!LOL
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Question 57

WHY WOULD ANY ONE WANT TO CUT UP A GOOD CAR ,I AM SORRY BUT MY,MY WITH ALL THE AFTER MARKET STUFF OUT THERE ,YOU CAN UP GRADE BRAKES AND STEERING WITH OUT MESSING UP A GOOD CAR
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:55 AM

About 20 years ago I bought a bunch of sheetmetal from a 1970 Vista Cruiser wagon. The person selling it stripped the body off the chassis and put a late 1950's 2 door Buick on the chassis. From what I remember he said the wheelbase was right, width was right and even the steering column came through in the correct location. He said all he needed to do was fabricate body to frame mounting points on the Buick body. The Vista Cruiser has a fully boxed frame like the convertible too. So that or a Buick Sport Wagon may be a good candidate for you to measure and check for possible use. John
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

We're getting better. This thread was only nine months old...