Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Price to sell question

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2015, 09:21 PM

Price to sell question

Hi my name is Tom! I'm getting close to finishing up body and paint on my 1941 model 96 sedan and I'm gonna put it up for sale and I'm trying to find out a price to put it up for. It's all original exept paint exept dash and exterior. Interior is super nice exept passenger door panel. Not a rip in anything else. Runs and drives. Does leak tranny flued. It's a Deluxe with a hydramatic so I know there wasn't many made but not sure if that means much.thanks for your help!
Old February 18th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. I moved your post to the cars for sale section to get you a wider view point. Please include some detailed pictures and a location. Good luck.
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Photos needed to give any kind of price estimate

Originally Posted by Tvalente
Hi my name is Tom! I'm getting close to finishing up body and paint on my 1941 model 96 sedan and I'm gonna put it up for sale and I'm trying to find out a price to put it up for. It's all original exept paint exept dash and exterior. Interior is super nice exept passenger door panel. Not a rip in anything else. Runs and drives. Does leak tranny flued. It's a Deluxe with a hydramatic so I know there wasn't many made but not sure if that means much.thanks for your help!
You really need photos, front, back, each side, dash, upholstery, trunk and underside if you can get a camera under it. A good repaint in a factory color is not going to hurt the price but it may not be as much of a boost as you think as many people value leaving them exactly as found.

Sedans don't bring what coupes and convertibles bring. Well detailed under the hood also helps price a bit but like a lot of improvements it may mean a quicker sale at a given price rather than the ability to get more money out of it.

Check out for sale ads on ebay and in Hemmings magazine and Hemmings on line to see what others are asking. I'd say to look at ads for 1940, 1941 and 1942 Oldsmobiles, but more importantly try to find completed sales on eBay and possibly other sites to see what they actually sold for. There is a big difference usually.

All that said, take a look at this nice 37 Sedan with a ton of $ invested that only got to a bid of $17,000 and change. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-O...71903#viTabs_0

I can guess what the guy has in that 37 as I've built a few cars and the bid he got is probably about 20-25% of his investment.

It is really a SWAG and I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but $ 6-10k might be a value range for yours given what you've described. The leaking tranny is going to hurt you on price. The 30s and early 40s Oldsmobiles are not much in demand.
As a rule of thumb you are lucky to get 50% of what you put into an old car. 25-40% is more typical. I'm not in the market for another car so have no axe to grind by lowballing the value. Just trying to be realistic.

Restoring or building them is a labor of love and you have to justify what you spend with the satisfaction of keeping old iron on the road, not getting any return on your cost of buying and building.
Old February 18th, 2015, 02:17 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice! I'll post pics in a few weeks when I'm done. Thanks again! !