Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Potential owner: 68 98 (worth it?)

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2022, 11:14 AM

Potential owner: 68 98 (worth it?)

Hi CO members, a short-time lurker who just registered to get a better perspective from the community itself on a potential purchase from a nearby dealer. Quick detals; on air suspension, disk brakes all around, FiTech electronic fuel

Video:

For sale ad: https://www.garyjacksonmotors.com/vd...rlton-MA-01507

Looks like they marked it up to $24.5, dropped to $21.995, and now it sits at $14.911 which either shows something wrong that they want to get rid of the car or it's just not selling like they expected. What's a fair estimated value on these cars? Seeing past for sale ads here, they seemed to range from $2500-$5k.Given the state of today's used (classic) car market, is this a good deal or should I expect to offer less (ie. $11k)

Would love thoughts and opinions before I make the drive to check it out, thanks!
Old September 16th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Oldsdruid

If you like the car, ask yourself if you could duplicate what's been done for the same money.

Then, and this is important, make sure you know who did the work, what parts were used, and if the work was done to accepted standards or if it was cobbled together. Documentation is everything on a build like this.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I've been in this game for more than 50 years and I've seen way more half-assed work than I have quality builds.
Old September 16th, 2022, 02:53 PM
Administrator

I would go over and look at it in person. Doubt you can duplicate it at the asking price, but you may be able to negotiate it lower in person. They've probably had it for a while, and it's time to find it a home.
Old September 16th, 2022, 03:37 PM

I agree that if the body and brightwork are as nice as they appear in the photos you probably could not build one for that price. Plan on buying new front tires. Also, if you buy it get it aligned at RIDE HIEGHT before or at the same time the new front tires are installed. The inner tread wear comes from driving the car around lower than its original ride hieght. It most likely has not been aligned since the air ride was installed.
Old September 20th, 2022, 06:03 AM

Those are DRUMS in the rear. And that exhaust, really?
Old September 20th, 2022, 06:22 AM

It's probably a fair price, just make sure it runs good and is mechanically sound.
Old September 20th, 2022, 08:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

The fact that they ran that goofy dual exhaust setup rather than just getting the correct driver side exhaust manifold tells me that they don't know the details of working on these 1965-70 Olds full size cars. be very careful to evaluate all the aftermarket stuff. I've seen too many cars like this where only half the fasteners got put back in. The solid metal ball joint bushings on the rear lower control arms will not make for a comfortable ride. Power steering leaks. They couldn't ever be bothered to run the exhaust pipes to the end of the car. The wiring in the interior doesn't instill confidence, and what's with those seats. Your money, your call, but I'm always skeptical of other people's work when it appears that they don't understand that the car isn't a Chevy.

Old September 20th, 2022, 10:25 AM
72Cutlass S

They probably tucked the tailpipes under the car like that to keep them from dragging when you lay the *** end down.