The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

just bought an olds 69 98 ls any idea what it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2017, 07:24 PM

Exclamation just bought an olds 69 98 ls any idea what it's worth?

My names Robert I'm new here, just bought my first classic car. It's a 69 olds 98 luxury sedan. It's seriously mint 61k miles original everything besides tires and fuel pump interior is like brand new there is some minor sun spots on the back trunk very little though. I paid 8k for it I think I got a good price but there was nothing on the market to compare it to and non of the price guides had that model available to check. It's light greenish with black interior. Also how do I check the hp on the 455? The gentleman was not sure how many horses it had. Appreciate any feedback or answers thanks! By the way I love this car it is extremely beautiful.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Collector Car Market Review gives the value as $1,525 in #4 condition and $4,300 in #3 condition.
It is highly unlikely that it is in #2 condition, but we would need some photos and more information to actually speculate about the value.

The engine is rated at 365 SAE Gross HP / 510 ft/lbs if it's original.

There's no question it's a great car.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

Oh, did I mention... Photos?

- Eric
Old April 14th, 2017, 08:13 PM

I posted pics in my album just posted more now... I'm not any classic car expert but I know 1000% this car is not only worth $4300. Nada estimated the base 98 way more then that. As for the condition of the car it's in way better shape then my newer Audi.. interior looks like it just came off a showroom floor and the body does not have 1 dink on it besides the sun spot which I don't know if I should fix cause I don't want to mess with the original paint. Not sure how your 3 2 1 rating works but this car is a solid 90/100
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:35 PM

Your car looks very nice.

As far as pricing, keep in mind that THREE things determine the value of an old car. Rarity, condition, and, most importantly, desirability. The full-size cars are just not as sought-after as the A-body cars, and that tends to keep values down no matter how nice the car is or how few of them are out there.

Also, keep in mind that body style matters, too. Your car is a four-door. Those are less desirable than two-doors for any model, Cutlass or full-size. Convertibles are worth still more.

The Olds Cars Price Guide, and Collector Car Market Review, generally use a 6-level condition scale.

1 = better than showroom condition (over-restored trailer queen that is never driven)
2 = showroom condition
3 = "car show" condition (clean and detailed and looks great but shows signs of wear and use)
4 = runs and drives but needs complete restoration
5 = doesn't run but in too good shape to be parted out
6 = parts car only

There's a lot of wiggle room here, especially between #4 and #3, so the numbers provided are just general guidelines and don't in any way try to indicate what any particular car is worth.

For the record, the January/February 2017 issue of the OCPG lists the value of a 1969 Ninety-Eight Luxury Sedan at the above six condition levels as follows:

1 = $12,600
2 = $8,800
3 = $5,700
4 = $2,500
5 = $1,500
6 = $500

Just as another example, add 50% or more to each of these values for a '69 Ninety-Eight convertible. That puts the value of a showroom-condition convertible in the mid-teens range.

There are many people who say that any car is worth simply what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller and leave it at that. You paid what you paid for your car, so that's what it's worth. You can drive yourself crazy trying to justify what you paid for the car after the fact because you'll only get upset if you hear that your car isn't worth what you paid for it. You've bought it, so that part of the process is over and behind you now. Get on with life and enjoy the car.
Old April 14th, 2017, 09:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

edit: Jaunty and I were typing at the same time.
His condition descriptions are more succinct, and I think a bit better.
These are from Collector Car Market Review:

Standard #1-#5 conditions are:

"#1 Excellent: A close to perfect original or a very well restored vehicle. Generally a body-off restoration, but a well done body-on restoration that has been extensively detailed may qualify. The vehicle is stunning to look at and any flaws are trivial and not readily apparent. Everything works as new. All equipment is original, NOS, or excellent quality reproductions. Note: cost no object concours restorations should be considered 1+ condition.

#2 Very Good: An extremely presentable vehicle showing minimal wear, or a well restored vehicle. Runs and drives smooth and tight. Needs no mechanical or cosmetic work. All areas (chassis not required) have been fully detailed. Beautiful to look at but clearly below a #1 vehicle.

#3 Good: Presentable inside and out with some signs of wear. Not detailed but very clean. Body should be straight and solid with no apparent rust and absolutely no rust-through anywhere. Shiny, attractive paint but may have evidence of minor fading or checking or other imperfections. Runs and drives well. May need some minor mechanical or cosmetic work but is fully usable and enjoyable as is.

#4 Fair: runs and drives OK but needs work throughout the vehicle. Body shows signs of wear or previous restoration work. Any rust should be minimal and not in any structural areas. Cosmetics, body, and mechanics all need work to some degree.

#5 Poor: In need of complete restoration, but is complete and not a rust bucket beyond repair. May or may not run. Not roadworthy."

Based on your pictures, I'd say your car is a high 3, maybe even almost a 2.
It's hard to tell with pictures that are poorly lighted and of a wet car.

I will say, though, that completely original car is very rarely a 2. A 3 is a really nice car, generally, and a 4 is usually a pretty cool driver. A 2 is unusual, and a 1 pretty much has to be a trailer queen.

And as far as assigning a value to this particular car, there are so few of them sold that there is almost no data on them, so values are highly subjective. Ultimately, if you were happy and the seller was happy, then it went for what it's worth.

I will note though that similar cars have been listed for much less for a long long time without selling.

If you like the car and you drive the car and you're not looking to make a killing when you sell the car, then that's all that matters.

Personally, I'd love to get my hands on one of those in that condition. I've had a '68 88 and a '68 98, both with the same motor, and I loved them.

By the way, you're using at least 93 octane gas, and adding an octane booster or retarding the timing if it pings, right? If not, your pistons will shatter like glass sooner or later. It's quite a thing to see when it happens - you remove the pistons and they come apart in your hands.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; April 14th, 2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:38 PM

I noticed this car for sale online a couple days ago, and spent time looking at the pictures based on how beautiful the car is. It looked like there were cardboard inserts on the sides of the inside trunk. Was impressed with the original, survivor condition of the car. Owner was asking 11 or 12k, right? You got your moneys worth. What is the owner history of the car?
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies, yes I'm happy with it and plan on keeping it so not trying to resell for a profit.. I'm new to all this stuff and yes cardboard inserts still there and even original stickers the guy was second owner and the car stayed local the whole time in Rochester Minnesota til I bought it came with dealer key chain all manuals books and paperwork. Originally I think he was asking 10 and change wanted 8500 talked him down to 8000 ive been looking for a few months seen lots of cars and this one looked better in person then in the pictures unlike others I seen. Thanks for the tips I actually put 87 gas in there won't do it again. I'm gonna take it to get engine cleaned up and do oil change and do a tune up just to be safe. Guy gave me extra parts he had back ups of and belts with the purchase. He
was really nice and it was a pleasurable experience to buy it from him and like the one guy said it's worth what someone pays lol I was actually in the market for a 4 door just had a baby last year so want to cruise around with him. I really appreciate all your guys help and I'm happy I bought an Oldsmobile
Old April 15th, 2017, 02:06 AM
Administrator

There is a 4th price level and this is the most important one. It's what the car is worth to you and in essence its worth what you paid for it.

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new purchase.
Old April 15th, 2017, 07:31 AM

True and thank you sir
Old April 15th, 2017, 08:23 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There is a 4th price level and this is the most important one. It's what the car is worth to you and in essence its worth what you paid for it.
No offense, Eric, as you know that I respect you and your opinion and advice, but that was a non-answer to the OP's question of " just bought an olds 69 98 ls any idea what it's worth?"

Jaunty and I, though without great diplomacy, each suggested actual concrete answers to his question.

I agree that if one has the cash to spend, and one spends it and feels happy with one's purchase, then that is all that is needed, but there is an actual (though somewhat vague, because of a low number of data points) answer to his question, and if he didn't like it, then he should have asked it before he opened his wallet.

It's a beautiful car, I've had one much like it, and I've always got my eyes open for another.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 08:30 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Bobbyloads
... I actually put 87 gas in there won't do it again.
It doesn't still have its original gas cap, by any chance, does it?

They're actually kind of rare.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:40 AM

It does have that one the red looks faded though
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:46 AM

Just put some better pics up in my album you can see the condition better
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Interior is honestly 100% brand new looking

Old April 15th, 2017, 09:53 AM

Quick question it does not have a passenger side mirror is that normal no holes or signs that it ever did I didn't even notice it when I bought the car.

Old April 15th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Quick question it does not have a passenger side mirror is that normal no holes or signs that it ever did I didn't even notice it when I bought the car.
Nope. No cars had mirrors on the right back then, unless you special ordered them or installed them yourself.

We never missed them back then, but then again, we never looked behind us.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:05 AM

Ok cool I freaked out a little I was like wtf, like I said I'm new to all this especially oldsmobiles , took my son for a ride today he loved it. Was even singing to the wireless Bluetooth speaker I'm driving around with til get a stereo put in.
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Things I would say so far:

1. That's a really nice car.

2. Be CAREFUL with those seats. The fabric tears at the seams sooner or later.
Don't flop onto them too hard or place anything on them that might concentrate force in one spot. And don't let kids stand on them.
It's hard to find them in such nice condition.

3. Take your time, and lots of it, considering installing a stereo. If you aren't doing it yourself, you want to be absolutely sure that the person installing it understands the value of originality and is an obsessive compulsive neat freak.
That car is too nice to risk minor damage from someone who thinks that "good enough" is good enough.

4. We need more full size pictures like this so we can really see this car.

5. We need pictures of the trunk lid from different angles so that we can really see the spot in the paint, so that we can give you good advice on what to do about it.

6. That's the gas cap. They're actually a bit valuable. It's a shame I sent one to the junkyard.

7. Those original Oldsmobile rubber mats are hard to find in that condition (near-perfect).
Protect them.

8. The radio may just be disconnected, but if it's broken, it can be fixed. There are a number of people out there who specialize in that. With a car so original, it's worth it.

9. You did get a Chassis Service Manual and a Fisher Body Manual with it, right?
If not, go on eBay and buy originals (not copies or disks). You will be glad you did.

10. You do know that pinging / detonation / pre-ignition sounds like, right?
If you hear it, you've got to lay off the gas, then increase the octane or decrease the ignition timing as soon as possible. That car has too nice an engine to wreck.

11. Have the A/C serviced with R-12. Do not convert it to R134. R12 will work better, and is actually not much more expensive these days.

12. Don't smoke in that car.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... and 13. Do not put big shiny wheels on that car. We will come and take it away if you do.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Lol no shiny big wheels sir, your almost making want to take outnhe seats laminate them in plastic and but cheap ones in while I drive only think is I'm a smoker it's hard not to smoke in it but I do it out the window with it all the way open
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:32 AM

Old April 15th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Depending on your level of obsessiveness, motivation, and income, you could always buy a new set of high-quality seat covers.
Legendary doesn't list them for full-size, but may be able to make them, and there is a company in the northwest (I forget the name) that has a stockpile of original old material, and can make up phenomenal reproduction seat covers.

It might actually be a good idea, because the seat foam decays over time, regardless of how it is stored, and now that you are sitting on the seats, the foam may lose its shape, so removing the covers and re-doing the seat foam could be a good preventative.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The paint on that trunk lid looks thin to me. I'd be interested in what others see.

If so, your best bet is to have the color matched by someone who knows what he's doing (he'll use a color meter, mix the paint, then keep adding tiny drops of pigment by hand until the color is perfect), and have the whole trunk lid painted.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Cool so it won't mess up the original status of the car if I'm like hey the trunk was painted?
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Well... There's that fine line between "original but messed up" and "almost original but near perfect."
Everybody will see it differently.

But, if the job is done right, nobody will see it at all.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 10:54 AM

Hey Robert, some guys want to know what There car is worth to resell or to fell better of thier purchase but a car is like a house, you will always be throwing money at it (and this should not 2discourage you because it's a given) and if you want to resell it for alot of money than you sometime have to throw money at it you will never get back. Thats why I Just get my cars the cheapest price I can , in the future when buying a car that you are concerned of its worth you should buy a two door and the hardtop version preferably because this is what buyer in the market want, shoot even a two door wagon would go for more $ than a traditional wagon. Also buy models that are sought after, a quick search will let you know the "popular" models. Find out what cars are people paying big bucks for. To answer your question I think your car is worth 3,000, don't shoot me. It's just because from what I said above this is not that "it" model.
I'm not trying to discourage you and i do like your car alot, in fact your model year with the 4 doors is the reason I got into Oldsmobile.
Old April 15th, 2017, 11:09 AM

I don't get upset easy, but I don't believe it's worth $3k I just actually had a guy at the grocery store offer me $9k said he would pay me $1k over for my troubles but unfortunately I'm keeping this one. I did my research before making a decision and a regular 98 is worth way more then that. Plus in the condition it's in and the low mileage I felt good with 8k. Anybody that keeps saying these low numbers would never sell their car that's not even in close to condition as mine. Find me this car for 3k and I will give you $1k cash and buy that one even if it's 70% in the condition mines in.
Old April 15th, 2017, 11:28 AM

I don't get upset easy, but I don't believe it's worth $3k I just actually had a guy at the grocery store offer me $9k said he would pay me $1k over for my troubles but unfortunately I'm keeping this one. I did my research before making a decision and a regular 98 is worth way more then that. Plus in the condition it's in and the low mileage I felt good with 8k. Anybody that keeps saying these low numbers would never sell their car that's not even in close to condition as mine. Find me this car for 3k and I will give you $1k cash and buy that one even if it's 70% in the condition mines in.
I found this in 30 seconds

Old April 15th, 2017, 11:33 AM

That is a 71 not an ls and no pictures of the inside so it's probably beat to crap, and how many miles in it? Mine has 61k. I know I got a good car that's all that matters and I looked for months what people say on adds and what it actually is is 2 whole different things I'm sure you can find this car for cheaper but by the time you put money in to make it look as good as this one our gonna be over 8k for sure.
Old April 15th, 2017, 11:43 AM

Finally found it... mine is definitely above average with ac this thing is pretty accurate so $9600 plus
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:00 PM

Bobby, don't listen to lowballers and don't go by the book values. There is always someone out there who will just have to have a car like yours. The fact that it's the Luxury Sedan is better then if it was a coupe or a Holiday. To me, the Luxury Sedan is even nicer than the convertible. I own both. Your car is worth every penny of the 8000 you paid. I have been looking for a sable brown with a brown top, 69 Luxury Sedan with the black interior for years but none exist anymore. It's for personal reasons. I even offered a 1000 reward as a finders fee if I find and buy one.
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Finally found it... mine is definitely above average with ac this thing is pretty accurate so $9600 plus
Bobby, I'm not trying to get into the price argument - I gave my opinion there - but I would not recommend using NADA as a guide for antique auto prices, except in cases of fully restored perfect cars. NADA seems to get their comparisons from auctions, where the prices are badly inflated.
If you want to confirm this, find an old car whose value you know, maybe something a buddy or a relative owns, or select a car you can easily find a lot of ads for, and check the NADA value on it. They're always high.

- Eric
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Look Bobby you asked. Take into consideration that when some post on a subject it's time out of there day, and it's because they know and want to help you out. If you read the ad it says it has got the interior re done, clearly the car in the ad should not be looked down on. Black over green any day plus it's got upgrades in the engine. If I go to that man's house with 3,000 I'm pretty sure I'll be driving it home. And I'm not even going to ask for that 1000 dollars you offered me because I already know you won't come through with it. I used to drive a nice tuff car up and down these ways and people through me offers all the time, but they were all full of BS. 3/4 had no money and the rest just wanted somebody to talk to. If your gonna be in love with your car (like I am) don't worry about the price, imho my cars are priceless, and if one day I overpay I'll just get that money back doing donuts and pealing off on milenials.
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM

That is a nice car and I'm certain worth to you what you paid. Does really make an difference if you paid $5K or $8K? The fact is you have a nice car and if you take as good care of it as the previous owner it will continue to keep it's value. If you bought a newer car for the same money it would be worth much less than this one will be in a few years. The trick will be not to do anything stupid with it and baby it. You will also appreciate the car more as you care for it. Cars will last a long time if people don't give up on them. Good luck and enjoy!
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
Look Bobby you asked. Take into consideration that when some post on a subject it's time out of there day, and it's because they know and want to help you out. If you read the ad it says it has got the interior re done, clearly the car in the ad should not be looked down on. Black over green any day plus it's got upgrades in the engine. If I go to that man's house with 3,000 I'm pretty sure I'll be driving it home. And I'm not even going to ask for that 1000 dollars you offered me because I already know you won't come through with it. I used to drive a nice tuff car up and down these ways and people through me offers all the time, but they were all full of BS. 3/4 had no money and the rest just wanted somebody to talk to. If your gonna be in love with your car (like I am) don't worry about the price, imho my cars are priceless, and if one day I overpay I'll just get that money back doing donuts and pealing off on milenials.
Nah, I have to jump in here a minute. You can not put that black 71 up against this guy's original 69. A redone interior is never going to be as desired as an excellent original interior. More 71 and up body styles were built and more survive today. An original unrestored car is always going to be better than a car that has been either upgraded or even restored. Just look at this guy's car, then look at that 71.
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:27 PM

Thanks herbie, and if I actually owed you the 1k I would pay it but what you said is honestly ridicoulas 3k for this car like dude said there is none around even if nada say 10k it's off by 2k that's still 8k I appreciate all he feedback but buddy that's not even a reasonable estimate you have there for 3k you can't buy anything decent now a days. Like I'm not even mad or upset it's just that me telling you I'm gonna give you 3k for our car and it's in prestige condition and a hard to find model just makes no sense. On top you comparing it to a 71 non ls did body style car. Like herbie said here is not a lot of them I personally looked all over the country to get a comparison car and seem like only one beat up one for almost the same price.... I don't even know what to say anymore on this subject I love the car most of the feedback I got bad extremely postive especially from herbie made me feel really good about the buy thanks
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:30 PM

If a car has extremely low mileage or extremely high mileage the price guide values go out the window. Your car has very low mileage and appears to be in exceptional condition. Good luck trying to find mint condition cardboard trunk inserts like your car has. All the little things that your car has original and correct makes it worth more than a run of the mill car. You said you looked for months, and obviously you educated yourself regarding reasonable values. You did your due diligence; now enjoy the car.

Last edited by Ctls442; April 15th, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:31 PM

RROLD yes 3k makes a huge difference lol money is money I could of put in kids college fund could of updated kitchen floors yeah 3k I a nice chunk of change let alone the knowledge of being scammed if I over paid that much
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie
Nah, I have to jump in here a minute. You can not put that black 71 up against this guy's original 69. A redone interior is never going to be as desired as an excellent original interior. More 71 and up body styles were built and more survive today. An original unrestored car is always going to be better than a car that has been either upgraded or even restored. Just look at this guy's car, then look at that 71.
Ok, I get you. But all I did was run a check in my ads and this is the 1st one that came up. If I put my energy into (and I'm not) I'll find something. And sometime re done is better than unmolested in my book. The back seats in my cutlass look so nice ,white leather but the material is weak and fragile and I'm going to redo them. As old as our cars they need the refreshment.
Old April 15th, 2017, 12:36 PM

Thanks ctls442 and yes I learned over he years do your homework and don't waste money and do not make spontaneous stupid decisions I drove to Green Bay to look at cars locally looked almost went to Cali and finally flew to Minneapolis and once I seen this car my gut just told me this is the one... originally I wanted to buy a half project car but I'm no mechanic would out source the work so when I seen this car and it pretty much needed nothing why spend a few grand less and have a car I will dump a lot of money into especially the black interior I needed black interior and wanted a 4 door luxury version not sporty

Quick Reply: just bought an olds 69 98 ls any idea what it's worth?