Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1978 Toronado XS for sale

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2020, 06:21 AM

1978 Toronado XS for sale

Not Mine.

78 olds toronado xs

78 olds toronado Xs for sale. Only a few of these made. 38500 original miles. Been in storage for a few years and needs cleaned up. $4000 obo. If your interested make an offer worst I can say is no.

https://altoona.craigslist.org/pts/d...127149031.html

Old July 14th, 2020, 06:31 AM

That's a beautiful Olds! Quite rare too!

Last edited by Olds64; July 14th, 2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: DOH!
Old July 14th, 2020, 10:49 AM

I have a '78, so I keep an eye out for these. This car has been listed on craigslist since at least June 2018, two years ago, when I first spotted it. He just keeps renewing the listing whenever it expires without ever changing anything or adding to the same four lousy photos he has shown for the last two years, and without ever making the slightest effort to get it out of barn and cleaned up a bit. So these photos are at least two years old. I can never understand why someone trying to sell any car that is above the level of junk can't be bothered to take five minutes and run some soap and water on it.

The current ad, if you look at the top of the craigslist page, has been up for two months. It is a reasonably-nice car, but does have rust issues on the roof as can be seen in one of the photos. Overall it needs to be better presented as its two-years-and-counting presence on craigslist clearly demonstrates.

One photo does show the very period-correct fog lamps on the front bumper. They look awful on a car like this, and he should remove them. But that's just me.

Old July 14th, 2020, 03:00 PM

I like these Toronados, but that grille reminds me of the black Lincoln from the movie "The Car"...
Old July 14th, 2020, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
yep. speaking of barn find..............
Old July 15th, 2020, 03:22 PM

The problem with "barn storage" like this one is that the rodents get inside these vehicles and destroy the interior and electrical. Have a mouse or rat chew on wiring and pee/poop all over the interior can total out a vehicle and make it not worth repairing.
Old July 18th, 2020, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
Not Mine.

78 olds toronado xs

78 olds toronado Xs for sale. Only a few of these made. 38500 original miles. Been in storage for a few years and needs cleaned up. $4000 obo. If your interested make an offer worst I can say is no.

https://altoona.craigslist.org/pts/d...127149031.html
Great find at a good price. That can obviously turn into a great price...

Agreed, cream of the crop for 1978 Oldsmobile. You were likely walking out of the dealership back then having spent in excess of 12,000 dollars for it. Production looks to be under 2500.

Originally Posted by blakes7
that grille reminds me of the black Lincoln from the movie "The Car"...
That movie has never left me, must be 40 years now and the horn blowing still resonates.

Old July 19th, 2020, 05:03 AM

Love these but where would you get a window replacement if it ever needed one?
Old July 20th, 2020, 04:24 AM

[QUOTE=jaunty75;1264436]He just keeps renewing the listing whenever it expires without ever changing anything or adding to the same four lousy photos he has shown for the last two years, and without ever making the slightest effort to get it out of barn and cleaned up a bit. So these photos are at least two years old. I can never understand why someone trying to sell any car that is above the level of junk can't be bothered to take five minutes and run some soap and water on it.

/QUOTE]

I don't understand the excessive laziness, either.
Old July 20th, 2020, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by holidaysedan
Love these but where would you get a window replacement if it ever needed one?
You wouldn't be able to find one. Do they make rear window aftermarket replacements for the 63 Corvette? Buick Rivera and Plymouth Barracuda owners would be SOL too.
Old July 20th, 2020, 05:48 AM

Those panoramic windows are so cool.

It is very rare when a car needs a new backlite; like the sideglass they just never need replacing.

One of these popped up in a Detroit salvage yard here a few years back. One of the yard hands told me they sold the backlite for $1000.00.
Old July 20th, 2020, 09:44 AM

The gray Toro is what it is, and you can't blame the car for being offered for sale by a seller who doesn't give a crap about it.

As I said, I own one of these, and I keep an eye out for others that come along.

If you want to see a nice Toro XS for sale, here's a '77. Looks gorgeous, and the price is not unreasonable at just under $6K. This one first popped up on craigslist about a month ago, so it's on its second listing.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/r...161847381.html

Last edited by jaunty75; July 20th, 2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old July 20th, 2020, 09:59 AM

That's a beautiful Toronado!

I wonder if it has OE bumper fillers, or if they are reproductions?
Old July 20th, 2020, 10:06 AM

I wonder if it has OE bumper fillers, or if they are reproductions?
That's a great question. He doesn't say, but it seems that most of these do have problems with the fillers. If these are repros, they are very well done.

Old July 20th, 2020, 10:10 AM

Speaking of bumper filler problems, here's another '78 XS that just came up for sale two days ago (that I've seen). This car does have pretty severe bumper filler issues, and this one is more than $2K more than the one above. I think he'll be sitting on this one for a while at that price. After all, you can buy a better one for $2000 less.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d...161640248.html

Old July 20th, 2020, 10:21 AM

The 2nd one is in CA. That's why he's asking more.

It's like seeing the price for parts in CA$ on Hemmings, or the cost of a super car in £ on Top Gear.
Old July 20th, 2020, 11:07 AM

One of the yard hands told me they sold the backlite for $1000.00.
I know of a severely rusted and picked over one is, but it still had the back glass as of a couple of years ago.
I'd be terrified to try to pull one of those. I would cry if one of those broke.
Old July 20th, 2020, 11:50 AM

I saw an XS rear window for sale on ebay a year or two ago. It was an NOS piece. The seller's Buy-it-Now price was $700.
Old July 21st, 2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 77toronado
I'd be terrified to try to pull one of those. I would cry if one of those broke.
That was the first thing I asked when the guy told me they sold it; how did you pull it? He said, "We have a tool."

I know it sure changes the car.

Old July 21st, 2020, 10:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If you want to see a nice Toro XS for sale, here's a '77. Looks gorgeous, and the price is not unreasonable at just under $6K.
Much as I love the XS models, that one has the most ugly interior seating in the world. Although OEM fabric, you'd have to be on weed or drunk to love that color fabric. And yes, I know it was offered in the other high end models too, all the way from 1976 IIRC
Old July 21st, 2020, 10:30 AM

I know it sure changes the car.
Including making it easier to drive. Having one of these, I can say that being able to see the car's rear corners when backing or just driving down the freeway and wanting to know what's off your back corners is much appreciated. The non-XS style has that wide C-pillar that creates a good-sized blind spot on each side.
Old July 21st, 2020, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Much as I love the XS models, that one has the most ugly interior seating in the world. Although OEM fabric, you'd have to be on weed or drunk to love that color fabric. And yes, I know it was offered in the other high end models too, all the way from 1976 IIRC
Gotta love how soft and comfortable those pillow-top seats are, though. Especially compared to hard foam over sheet metal they put in today's luxury cars.
Old July 21st, 2020, 02:56 PM

Here's the interior on mine.

Old July 21st, 2020, 03:12 PM

Here's some photos of the exterior because someone will surely ask, right?

Here's with different wheels. Which do you like better?

Dig the license plate?

Old July 21st, 2020, 07:47 PM

Nice car, looks very comfortable! Beautiful color, too. Why can't one get a new car with a comfortable interior, and in nice colors instead of just tan, gray, and black?
Old July 21st, 2020, 09:09 PM

Had to open the link after reading your comments. Such a nice car then you get inside and see that material. It hit me almost immediately that I had seen a similar color and pattern combo before but not in a car. So I googled "striped 60s bell bottoms" and voila there it is !

jaunty75 great looking car in and out.

Here's with different wheels. Which do you like better?
White walls with full size hubcaps.

Dig the license plate?
Very much.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 02:44 AM

I'm more partial to the tan version.

Here's my '77's passenger seat, with the Salvation Army store boom box that kept me company driving it home when I bought it.

I must be drunk and stoned, I kind of like it. I refer to it as the "Disco Gold Metallic" option.
Side note - I found someone on ebay that had a 10 yard roll of this OEM material. I bought it for any eventual seat recovering, because when would you ever find that again? Yeah yeah, I know, why would I want to find it again?
Old July 22nd, 2020, 04:56 AM

Oldsguy had the red pin stripe cloth interior in the 76 and 77 Cutlii he owned. It's definitely "groovy."

Jaunty, I like the red wheels with hubcaps. That wasn't an option from the factory, was it?

I was actually looking at tires online yesterday and there are very few suppliers of white wall tires. It seems that Coker has some viable options for 70s cars. These caught my eye.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/p225...wall-tire.html
Old July 22nd, 2020, 08:15 AM

Definitely prefer full cover caps instead of the 1st gen cap.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 08:35 AM

Jaunty, I like the red wheels with hubcaps. That wasn't an option from the factory, was it?
No, those are definitely home made.

When I bought the car three years ago, it came with the wheels shown in this photo. The wheels were chrome-plated, and a dog-dish center hubcap, which can be removed separately (and are shown in the photos with the red wheels), covers the lug nuts.

I don't think these wheels are correct for 1978. I'm guessing they're from a '60s Toro originally.

Thee problem with these wheels was that, in spite of how relatively nice the one in the photo above might look, the chrome was pitted and scratched on all of them. Rather than try to have that repaired, if it was even possible to do, I made the decision to have them all sand-blasted to remove the chrome plating so I could paint them. I decided to paint them with a red to try to match the car.

Here's a full, side-on view with those wheels, and, while I agree that they can definitely be an acquired taste, they grow on me a little more every time I look at them. The tires have a white stripe, but I had them mounted so the stripe was facing inward. Of course, I had to use the dog-dish covers for the centers.

But I also decided to buy a second set of wheels and have a set of white-wall tires mounted on them with the white-walls facing out, so I could have that look with the full wheelcovers when I wanted it. The car came with a set of full wheelcovers that weren't in too bad a shape, but I found on ebay a set of NOS full wheelcovers for the '78 Toros (which I don't think are much different from other second-generation model years), so I bought those. I can switch one set of wheels for the other whenever I feel like driving a different car!

Old July 22nd, 2020, 05:03 PM

Oldsguy had the red pin stripe cloth interior in the 76 and 77 Cutlii he owned. It's definitely "groovy."

Originally Posted by 77toronado
I'm more partial to the tan version.

I must be drunk and stoned, I kind of like it. I refer to it as the "Disco Gold Metallic" option.
Side note - I found someone on ebay that had a 10 yard roll of this OEM material. I bought it for any eventual seat recovering, because when would you ever find that again? Yeah yeah, I know, why would I want to find it again?
Tan / beige / muted gold, works much better IMHO.

Good score on the material, if I had your car and was a stickler for originality I would of scooped it up also.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC

Tan / beige / muted gold, works much better IMHO.

Good score on the material, if I had your car and was a stickler for originality I would of scooped it up also.
My fear was I would pull the old "I forgot I had that sticking out of my pocket" and accidentally rip the seat. At least this way, I can get it fixed sooner, without having to have all of them done at the same time. Yeah, I know the rest are faded, but you know what I mean.

I told my wife she needs to make me a three piece suit out of the left over material
Old August 17th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Olds Collector

78 Toro XS

Hi Jaunty75: Just my .02 cents, but there may well be $2,000 difference between the Altoona, PA car and the California car with original plates. If the PA car was driven at all years ago in the salt, parts of the frame could easily be rusting away. We don't know the details of the top side even and no photos on the bottom. The CA car likely has a very clean frame and could be a better deal because it could last longer without rust issues. Just my .02 cents.... These are clearly nice rides. Regards, Trent in Los Angeles.
Old August 19th, 2020, 06:44 PM

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...19092919479414 heres one with 5700 actual miles.kinda steep on price
Old August 19th, 2020, 07:09 PM

Not a bad-looking car. Too bad he couldn't back it out of the garage for some better photos. At $30,000, I think he'll be owning it for a while.

Old August 19th, 2020, 07:38 PM

Yea that ain’t gonna happen. There’s another 78 I know for sale with a fraction of this cars miles but it’s not an XS. It’s been for sale several years without taker. Funny though the asking price keeps escalating with no interest. Started about the same as this but it’s well over 40 K now.
Old August 20th, 2020, 04:38 AM

That Olds is straight but I'm not convinced it has 5700 miles. I've seen plenty of 42 year old vehicles that are just as nice or nicer with 105XXX miles.
Old August 20th, 2020, 04:43 PM

This car has been listed on craigslist since at least June 2018, two years ago, when I first spotted it.
The car was the original purpose of this thread has disappeared from craigslist. It did so about two or three weeks ago after being on craigslist continuously for over two years. I wonder if he finally sold or if he just gave up.
Old August 20th, 2020, 07:21 PM

I was emailing back and forth and offered a decent amount but he said he had a better offer. I told him to take that offer as mine was pretty good. He said while its not paid for, a guy was going to flip it at whatever the offer was. So I guess it may show up on ebay?
Old August 21st, 2020, 07:28 AM

I wonder if the owner of the silver Toronado XS included all the grime and pigeon poo in the selling price?

At least he "sold" it. We'll have to keep our eyes peeled for it on Ebay or CL again. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up on CL with the same pics again.