New Thread - Same booster / vacuum issue

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM

New Thread - Same booster / vacuum issue

I re-bled all the lines, have good flow to all the brake pistons and while slightly improved, I still have a very stiff pedal, especially at idle. I put a vacuum gauge on the booster vac line and at idle have about 15 to 16 inches. It flickers a bit, but I think that is a function of the cam overlap. Spoke with the cam supplier and that is about what he expected with the new cam. I can rev the engine and get a much better pedal, but obviously that won't work on the road. The vacuum seems to be able to build up to a fuctional level, but won't sustain at a high enough level to work correctly. I also have read that boosters work best with a minimum of 17 inches, and prefer more. I am thinking of a vacuum reservoir tank that would hold the higher vacuum and have it available for braking. I have tested the booster and it holds vacuum after shutdown, and if I remove the MC, the pushrod move out easily like it should. Any thoughts, please?
I went through about an extra quart of brake fluid making sure the lines are bled and essentially flushed with the new stuff. Has anyone used one of these reservoir tanks? I think they are mostly used on radical, big cam engines that don't generate much vacuum on their own. Summit and Jegs have them, with the fittings for around $40.00. Thanks for your time.
Lem C.