New Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:08 PM

New Brake Lines

I am replacing the brake lines from front to back on my 68 Olds Cutlass Convertable. I have found them for $ 155.00 at a place called In Line Tube. Is this a good price for complete 9 pc brake line kit?
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by bently68
I am replacing the brake lines from front to back on my 68 Olds Cutlass Convertable. I have found them for $ 155.00 at a place called In Line Tube. Is this a good price for complete 9 pc brake line kit?
I'd shop around

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocatalog/part.asp?VID=4&YearList=1968&Search_Keyword=brake+line

BTW I have a used but in very good condition complete disc brake front brake line set if you're interested. These don't include the front to back lines.

I flared my own front to rear lines and the two rear's off the differential to the drums for about $25

Last edited by allyolds68; June 25th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:42 PM

Would anyone happen to know where I could find brake lines for an "83 delta 88?
I tried classic tube and inline tube but they don't carry them. Inline tube had the delta 88 brake lines up to 1982. I was under the impression the 82 and 83 were identical but apparently there is some difference underneath?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Rob
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's where my brake line kit came from at about the same cost. The quality is very good. I don't know what the quality is at PP. Are your brakes drums or discs?

Mike knows 68's very well and can offer you great advice. Do you have the tools to bend and flare your own lines?
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rob delta
I was under the impression the 82 and 83 were identical but apparently there is some difference underneath?
Yeah, you got me there. I thought they were the same too. Don't recall much in the way of change on those cars till partway into the 85 model year.

What kind of problems are you running into? And, is there a wrecker near you that you could find donor lines from?
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Well with any of these companies the help is only as good as the person you are speaking to, so who knows if those lines wouldn't fit.
As far as my problem, the front to rear brake line is rusting out along the frame rail, as are the two fuel lines and vapor line. They aren't leaking yet but are pretty rusty and flaking off in some spots. I've been painting the frame sections at a time starting from the front of the car. That's when I came across the bad lines. They seem to far gone to just be painted over and forgotten about.
On the subject of the fuel and vapor lines: Is it possible to replace the hard lines with fuel hose, maybe braided fuel hose if available? I know the pressure is not that great in these lines and they are tucked away inside the frame rail. would the only issue be in the event of an accident they might be easily ruptured?
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Got my lines from them , very good fit.
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rob delta
As far as my problem, the front to rear brake line is rusting out along the frame rail, as are the two fuel lines and vapor line. They aren't leaking yet but are pretty rusty and flaking off in some spots
Rob, I'd keep them metal - maybe go with stainless tubing. You can cut rusted out sections of the brake line out, flare and union in a new piece. Brake line is actually pretty cheap and even if you're using the car for a DD, normal steel lines should last a long time. It's an 83 and still ok? that's almost 30 years of service without a problem.

Fuel lines? I don't think you're going to give yourself any advantage replacing them with more expensive braid. You planning to go into demo derby or something? If you decide to replace the fuel lines the same way, just remember not to use a hacksaw or torch to cut them.....and you're going to get gas all over the place so make sure you're in a vented area.