Brake lines and flares

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Brake lines and flares

Can someone school me on flares on hardlines? Someones comment on another post made me think I better ask about this.

We replaced two hard lines on Josh's '66 F85, the two that go from the distribution block to the front wheels. We just grabbed some line from the local parts store (the kind that has the fittings on, and are already flared)and bent it to fit. The counter guy did not ask, but just looked at our old line and pointed to his collection of replacement lines. I want to make sure for obvious reasons that the flares are the correct style.

I know there is such a thing as single and double flares, but do not know how to distinguish them nor do I know what flare style the Olds would have for the lines we replaced. Hopefully the replacement parts are correct. We have not pressurized the system yet, so no major loss if they are not correct.

Thanks,
Jim
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Colorado Olds
Can someone school me on flares on hardlines? Someones comment on another post made me think I better ask about this.

We replaced two hard lines on Josh's '66 F85, the two that go from the distribution block to the front wheels. We just grabbed some line from the local parts store (the kind that has the fittings on, and are already flared)and bent it to fit. The counter guy did not ask, but just looked at our old line and pointed to his collection of replacement lines. I want to make sure for obvious reasons that the flares are the correct style.

I know there is such a thing as single and double flares, but do not know how to distinguish them nor do I know what flare style the Olds would have for the lines we replaced. Hopefully the replacement parts are correct. We have not pressurized the system yet, so no major loss if they are not correct.

Thanks,
Jim
Any parts-store replacement steel lines will be double flare, which is the appropriate style. You can also get metric bubble flare lines, but these will be obvious.
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Thanks. What then are single flare lines, and what cars/applications are they used for?
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM

I dont recall ever seeing single flare lines used on vehicles. Single flares are commonly used in the air conditioning and refrigeration fields on soft copper tube. A single flare will have a sharper edge on it while the double flare is more rounded. It becomes more rounded because the metal is folded over so to speak, at the edge where in a single flare the edge is the edge.
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM

nice to see another olds inthusiast in colorado hows longmont treating u? hope u find what u need for brakes
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I feel better now

Tech - Longmont is a great place - I have lived here since I was a little boy. Where you at?

One of these days I will post some pics of the F85.
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:10 PM

canon city colorado about 45 min away from colorado springs