Drums versus Discs

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Drums versus Discs

My 72 Cutlass has front power drums at this time. Being old school and driving many drum setups with no problems other than brake fade which was normal in my day and you just learned how to handel it, Is it worth doing a disc brake conversion on a weekend driver? What do you think??
I am just asking for opinions on this subject.
Thanks
Kevin
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM

I want disks for my 68 but I want to set this puppy up for some serious go, and may need the whoa. If you are cool with the drums and it isn't a safety issue, why spend the time or money? IMO it all comes down to what makes you grin. Do what you like. Please do it with a car that isn't a rare numbers matching piece of rolling history though.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:31 PM

i have a 70 cutlass supreme with power drums, i definitly want more stopping power and i am going to buy a disc conversion, just don't know which one yet, gettiing out of a new car then driving my 70, there is no stopping power, i'm gonna go with drilled rotors, braided lines.
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:22 PM
same but different

Looking back at the modifications I have done to my car, I'd say its my smartest move yet.

It has more of a solid, safer feel to it now.

I don't have any regrets and I don't know why I waited so long to do it.

BTW, I got all the important parts from a salvaged car. I then took the calipers and master as cores in exchange for new ones.

Last edited by don71; September 26th, 2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: more info
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Okay, maybe I will just put the discs on. I already have a new delco booster and (by mis-ordering) a delco master cylinder for disc/drum. So basicly I should just need the disc brake kit and proportioning valve right? What about the distribution block on my frame? Is that still used? I know that I will also need the lines etc.
Thanks for your opinions and help!
Kevin
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:33 AM

I am thinking about the same thing for this 72' supreme. I have already put $40 in bearings, and $25 one new cylinder for drums, because I just could not make up my mind. High in sight is 20/20.

Joe P. has a post on disk the less expensive way - part here and there. Which is good, but I am thinking local so I would have someone guide me. Although only place recommended is across town. And that would be if they know anything about it. Not just ording parts.

Abody, Post a better photo of that "Smooth Blue Supreme."
Old September 27th, 2008, 05:59 AM

This website has popped up before. He might have some good information for you even though he doesn't list your specific year and model.

http://www.discbrakemike.com/
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Registered

Inline tube has the metering blocks for discs. The frame brackets at the connection to the the flex lines had to be changed on my goat. They have a special shaped hole to accept the same shaped fitting on the flex line for discs, not sure if Olds is the same.

The difference in braking is obvious when you get discs, especially when it's wet or coming down a long hill or freeway ramp to stop. If everybody still had drums then all would be even, but everybody else can stop faster now.

Allan

http://www.inlinetube.com/
Old September 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM
same but different

Originally Posted by amh555
Inline tube has the metering blocks for discs. The frame brackets at the connection to the the flex lines had to be changed on my goat. They have a special shaped hole to accept the same shaped fitting on the flex line for discs, not sure if Olds is the same.

Allan

http://www.inlinetube.com/
Thats a good point Allan. Olds is different also between drum/disc. The brake hose brackets are one of the "important" parts.

The metering block is one also. In my case its different. 1971 used a combo valve. The 72 I believe? used two seperate blocks. My salvage part was bad, so I ordered a new one from the guys below.

You can check this out as another option to getting the right stuff. They have kits.

www.mpbrakes.com

The important parts as I see them:
spindles/dust sheilds
brake hose brackets and new hoses to match
metering valve
calipers/rotors
master cylinder
Edit: caliper mounting brackets
wheel bearings

As mentioned earlier, I purchased an entire parts car (for other parts), so my swap was very cheap. Under $300 with me doing the work. The kits are substainally more $

Have fun guys...

Last edited by don71; September 27th, 2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: more info
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM

anyone know who makes the best kit for the money, i seen in jegs/summit etc, for around $699 or so, and has anyone got any from them.
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM

i ordered parts from fusick, quarters/wheel well, i am picking them up on saturday at carlisle swap meet, maybe i will find some kind of parts to do the disc brake swap.
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Joe Padavano has recently posted a tech discussion on how to do the conversion for around $400. For $300 savings I would look up his post and make the extra couple calls. He is one of the tech gurus on the board. I'm not sure how to hyperlink it to this post so you will just have to go look for it. Seriously I would track it down and make the calls, and save the extra three bills for gas or something.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sk-brakes.html

Also, check this out and let us know what you think.

http://www.leadfootrodparts.com/fram...in_stockf.html
DBK6472 $349.00

Last edited by hamm36; September 27th, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM

I found this on evelbay for My 57 Olds. because of my MSD ignition I needed a smaller Power Booster cannister then I could find in a wrecking yard to make everything fit. The one I bought comes with the dual master disc/drum cylinder. I am putting disc breaks on the front and hopfully fully adjustable drums on back if I can find a setup ths fits. $92.00 for the booster and master cylinder.
Old September 28th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Whoops the link did not show up
Old September 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM

Talking

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-STR...-BOOSTER-FORD-

Found ths is evelbay, I bought one for $92.66 with the Disc?drum dual master cylinder. On my 57 olds I needed the smaller dia, to fit both my MSD ignition and the booster in the same location.

While there I noticed this conversion kit. thopught I would post it as well

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/64-72...mZ230293785308