Drums to Disc on 1965 Delta 88

Old July 4th, 2019, 08:58 AM

Drums to Disc on 1965 Delta 88

Any suggestions on conversion kits on a 65 Delta 88 front brakes? Are there models similar like a 442 that I can swap parts? Best I can find is a ssbc a129-13 kit which the rotors need to be machined to fit over the hubs. Thanks, Brian
Old July 4th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Brian 65 Delta 88
Any suggestions on conversion kits on a 65 Delta 88 front brakes? Are there models similar like a 442 that I can swap parts? Best I can find is a ssbc a129-13 kit which the rotors need to be machined to fit over the hubs. Thanks, Brian
The factory rotors on the B/C-body cars were 12" diameter by 1.25" thick. That kit uses A-body sized rotors that are only 11" diameter by 1" thick. The stock drums are 11". Is that even an improvement in braking force?

The best solution is to find a set of OEM 1969-70 Delta disc brakes and swap them spindles and all. The sliding calipers are a better choice than the fixed calipers on the 67-68 factory discs. While the 69-70 rotors are not available new, you can easily modify Cadillac CTS rotors to fit. See this thread.
Old July 4th, 2019, 10:30 AM
Phantom Phixer

1965 was a complicated year for full size cars . There were two different sizes of wheel bearings used ,
The easiest way to determine what you have is to jack it up , remove the dust cap , spindle nut and washer .
The bearing number will be on the bearing cone . If the bearing number is LM11949 you have the early '65 bearings and spindles will have to be exchanged for 66 thru 70 units . This bearing cone has an inside diameter of .750 .
If it has the later large bearings then order a 66 thru 70 Disc brake kit from Scarebird . https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=173

"A" body (Cutlass , 442 ) parts will not fit .
Old July 4th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
1965 was a complicated year for full size cars . There were two different sizes of wheel bearings used ,
The easiest way to determine what you have is to jack it up , remove the dust cap , spindle nut and washer .
The bearing number will be on the bearing cone . If the bearing number is LM11949 you have the early '65 bearings and spindles will have to be exchanged for 66 thru 70 units . This bearing cone has an inside diameter of .750 .
If it has the later large bearings then order a 66 thru 70 Disc brake kit from Scarebird . https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=173

"A" body (Cutlass , 442 ) parts will not fit .
The Scarebird kit still only uses 11" rotors.

And of course, using the factory 69-70 disc spindles eliminates the issue of which wheel bearings the car has.
Old July 4th, 2019, 10:56 AM
Phantom Phixer

Another thought ;
If your drums are in good shape ( 11.090 inside diameter or less ) . Then why even waste your effort (and money) on disc brakes ?
The 59 thru 70 Olds had some of the best drum brakes ever made . They are adequate for all but the most extreme driving conditions
( repeated panic stops , steep mountain driving , etc . )
Old July 4th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Thanks Charles and Joe. A couple more pieces of information. The car was my Dad's and been sitting for 25 years. The master cylinder needs to be replaced. Also we will be changing the engine to a 4 barrel and dual exhaust to add some more power. Finally, I have worked on cars all my life but simple things and not to this degree so I'm learning. Question, do you think drums will have sufficient braking power for cruising around town and a drive in the country? Thanks, Brian
Old July 4th, 2019, 02:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Will properly maintained factory drums stop the car safely under normal conditions? Sure. Will they feel like the brakes on a new car? No. Drums require a little forethought. Don't drive through standing water, and lightly apply the brakes to dry them if you do. Don't use the brakes continuously on a long downhill run - downshift. Don't tailgate and be aware of traffic around you to anticipate the need for emergency maneuvers. If this were a daily driver in heavy traffic (as is my situation) I'd have a different answer. For weekend use, they will be fine. I just drove 2600 miles in nine days with the drum brakes on my 62 F-85 with no issues. There were a few very winding, hilly segments in that tour.
Old July 4th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Thanks Joe, I think we will start with drums to get the car functional for weekend, cruising use and with time, experience and money we may upgrade to discs in years to come. I really appreciate both of your guys experienced answers. Brian
Old July 5th, 2019, 10:24 AM

In my experience the drums work reasonably well in most cases. However, if you have to stop from 65-70 in a short time, they can and will fade away leaving you little ability to stop towards then end of the stop. If you drive 55, leave long following distances and don't drive in an area where traffic will stop unexpectedly with little warning then you will have no problems.
Old July 5th, 2019, 09:34 PM

You can't draft like you are driving in a NASCAR race. Brake shoe materials have changed over the years. There is a different "feel" to driving an older car, but we did it everyday without thinking, "back in the day". You won't have ABS, so if you jam on the brakes, they can lock up and squeal the tires. Give yourself time to adjust.