Brake line blues (part II)

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2014, 08:33 AM

Brake line blues (part II)

Scrapped trying to splice in a new section of line between proportioning valve and rear brake line. I ended up getting a new front to rear line. 6 hour job removing old and installing new. What took the longest was getting the bolt out on that clamp near the rear. You know, that one where the bolt head is sandwiched between the body and the frame, where you might as well be blind to try and get the wrench on it, while prying between the body and frame to even get the wrench in there? Yeah, that one. Why oh why, Mr. General Motors? Isn't crawling under the car with a 1/2 century plus body agony enough? Oh, that little plug in the body right above the bolt head. But that would mean taking the rear seat out to get to the plug. Another 2 hours of otherwise unnecessary labor. If only you were thinking 40 years out about the poor car guys who love working on these machines, but who have limited resources and anatomies older than the cars themselves. And on and on. Anyway, in hind sight, maybe someone has an easier way of getting that bolt out? When I did finally get it out, it was pretty probable it was not going back in, but the car gods were forgiving that day, and it dropped straight in and I got it started on the first couple of turns. Now I just need to bleed the lines and hopefully....but wait, that's another adventure. Chumley
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Administrator

The back seat only takes a few minutes to remove, it snaps in place. Anyway glad you got it.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:12 PM

The seat was easy to remove for reupholstery, but was a bear to get back in. Took me almost an hour to get both hooks seated. ( probably the extra thickness on the frame from the POR-15 treatment) Anyway, that's all part of GM engineering.