67 Cutlass Supreme Disc Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2014, 08:42 AM

67 Cutlass Supreme Disc Conversion Question

I posted the following on my build thread but felt it would be more appropriate here:

I was out in the garage yesterday and was looking over the brake system. This car was originally drum/drum. At some point someone was kind enough to upgrade the front to disc. . They installed an SSBC master cylinder, unnamed single calipers, unnamed caliper brackets and what I believe to be GM disc spindles. The brake lines are looking a little cruddy so I figured now is the time to swamp them out for a nose new SS set from Inline Tube. All the reading I have done on this conversion indicates that if you originally had the drum/drum system you need to install a proportioning valve directly under the master if you do not have a hold back valve installed in the line. I looked over the entire line and all I have is the D block bolted to the frame under the master cylinder. My question is:
#1 how did the brake system work without the hold back valve? (I thought the back brakes would have been blown out because of this set up)

#2 As I have read, I will be required to either install a proportioning valve or install a new D block with a hold back valve in the system, correct?

My instincts tell me to buy a proportioning valve and the SS conversion break line set and be done but I am curious what I got going on over here! As always I appreciate anyone's and everyone's feedback/insight!

Last edited by DLaz70OLDS98; February 10th, 2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

[QUOTE=DLaz70OLDS98;652772]
#1 how did the break system work without the hold back valve? (I thought the back breaks would have been blown out because of this set up)
The BRAKE system probably worked fine - under normal braking activity. Keep in mind that the factory designed the system to work under the extremes of light load/heavy load and light braking/heavy braking. I've unfortunately seen numerous cases of poorly executed disk conversions where the person who did the swap was clueless and did not install a prop valve or metering valve. The previous owner may have just been lucky, or perhaps just learned to live with the brakes locking up prematurely.

#2 As I have read, I will be required to either install a proportioning valve or install a new D block with a hold back valve in the system, correct?
Almost. If you have a stock distribution block, you don't need a new one, just the metering valve. Alternately, replace the distribution block with a newer combo valve and kill two birds with one stone.
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Joe,
Thank you for the clarification and the grammar lesson. Real brain fart on that one

I think I will just get the combo valve and the conversion brake lines. Thanks again.