Proportioning valve question

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2013, 09:45 PM

Proportioning valve question

I have all the parts needed to start the disk brake swap on a 70 chevelle ( yeah i know :\... its a 71/72 disk set up. the car is a manual drum car currently. i have the factory lines down to the prop valve. my question is will the lines that currently run to the metering block go right in to the prop valve? or will i need new lines to each caliper? thanks
Old December 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fear Reborn
I have all the parts needed to start the disk brake swap on a 70 chevelle ( yeah i know :\... its a 71/72 disk set up. the car is a manual drum car currently. i have the factory lines down to the prop valve. my question is will the lines that currently run to the metering block go right in to the prop valve? or will i need new lines to each caliper? thanks
When you say "metering block", do you mean the drum brake distribution block? The lines will need to be rebent to fit, as the combo valve has the outlet ports to the front wheels at different angles than on the distribution block.
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:44 PM

yep thats the piece. so are the fittings the same also? all my original pieces are nice so trying not to replace unless i have too.
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fear Reborn
yep thats the piece. so are the fittings the same also? all my original pieces are nice so trying not to replace unless i have too.
The flare nuts for the front lines should be the same for drum and disk. If I remember correctly the rear port is a different size and will require an adapter fitting or replacement of the flare nut on the tube.
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:42 AM

thanks alot joe, exactly what i needed to know.
Old February 19th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Adapter fitting

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The flare nuts for the front lines should be the same for drum and disk. If I remember correctly the rear port is a different size and will require an adapter fitting or replacement of the flare nut on the tube.
Joe, can you tell me where I can find an adapter fitting? I've looked everywhere I know and have had no luck. Thanks , Raymond
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rfmoody
Joe, can you tell me where I can find an adapter fitting? I've looked everywhere I know and have had no luck. Thanks , Raymond
Summit, NAPA, etc. Type "master cylinder adapter fitting" into Google and you'll get a long list.