Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Frame Off or On

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2011, 08:28 PM
GM's Best Division

Frame Off or On

Is it really worth it to take the car off the frame or just to do a frame on rebuild. I want to paint the frame, the visible part anyway - engine bay. The bottom on my car is pretty clean, after pressure washing with no engine or trans everything loos good. Contemplating on pulling the front clip for easier access. Just some thoughts and ideas on what you guys are out there doing, i'm not going to be competing or anything. Whats a good primer and paint to use, rattle cans are fine to.
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Randy C.

On my '68 when I restored it, I contemplated removing the body from the frame but, in the end, didn't do it. Mine was similar to what you described - pretty clean underneath and not in need of a lot of attention. I had the fenders and the core support off so that allowed plenty of access the the forward part of the frame. The biggest difficulty I had was replacing the old fuel lines, which were rotten. The old ones came out real easy (because they were in pieces) but we struggled with the new lines at first. What we ended up doing was loosening the frame-to-body bolts and using a transmission jack to lift the rear part of the body up from the frame, just enough to snake the new fuel lines between the body and frame by the passenger rear wheel hump - could feed the fuel lines both forward and aft that way and secure them. That's as far as the body on my car came off of the frame.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442front.jpg (44.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg
0510111116.jpg (65.0 KB, 13 views)
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:40 AM

We did not do a frame off on mine either. The body was jacked up one side at a time, then all body mounts replaced and rust repair was done. The under carriage was sprayed with Body Shutz. In the engine bay I brushed on glossy black rustoleum on the frame. So far Im happy with everything. Good luck.
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM
GM's Best Division

I might have to change the fuel lines also or check the fuel tank. When I bought the car it wouldn't pump fuel from the tank, it had 4 fuel pumps in it. I just removed the rubber line and stuck it straight in a gas tank and it fired right up and ran smooth Can't believe they just kept changing the fuel pumps I will most likey the way you guys had it done and save the time and money. Not like i'm going to have people jumping under my car to check how clean it is. I will post some picks when I get chance.
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:36 AM
GM's Best Division

Ok, how about this I have a friend of a friend who powder coated a frame and then we told him he couldn't put a convertible car on a regular frame so he just powder coated the right one. The question is now would it be better to get that frame and build it up and swap them out or just paint my own. The powder coated frame will cost me $550

Last edited by UnkleMarc455; May 26th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.