Frame off? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Frame off? Is it worth it?

Hello. Im in way further than I though id be already! Ive got the entire car stripped down, nothing left on the underside at all. I spent the long weekend grinding what little dirt and rust was on the underbody off...talk about a dirty job! My plan was / is to just paint everything underneath with the body bolted on. I have no rust to repair, so I figured I could get pretty good results with a scuff and shoot. The only areas Im not sure about are the inner rockers and some areas above the rear spring supports. As they say, this would be a spray and pray situation...Bottom line is, I am debating whether or not its worth it to drop the frame off or not. Any Opinions? How big a PITA is it at this point!
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
2Blue 55

Personally I think it is easier to Spray & pray, In my case i would run into a time issue, and a money issue, also, If you take everythin off, it has been in the same place for so many years, I would be worried about not being able to get it back together, but if yiu had friends, and equipment it would be worth while, it is a very important descision ... there are many variables to consider... It depends on what you are starting with and your expectations. Personally i wouldn't do a Half-***, or a frame off I think that your origional plan is what I would do as it is the next best to a frame off. after all, when you drive down the road you do not see underneath, but if it were a show car, not a driver, you may want to do a frame off. Whatever you choose you will be happy with it...Just my 2 cents

Good luck with your project
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the opinion. I think Im leaning that way too. I am too afraid to remove the body and I dont think what I have to gain is worth it. Money and time are definately issues for metoo. I dont want to be looking at a disassembled car 3 years from now! My goal for the car is to have a nice solid driver. If someone wants to crawl underneath and look at the fact that the body bushings have paint on them, then that they're problem. I have no reason to remove it other than cosmetic, and its NOT gonna be a trailer queen. Besides, Itll probably turn out better than I expect. Thanks again
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. Nice project. Here's another option, if rust isn't an issue. Don't do a frame off, just do a frame-up resto. Separate the two just enough to get paint in the tight spots, and then install new body mounts. The new rubber will make a difference to "the ride" Just my $0.02. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do. Jim.
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:42 PM

i second that jim
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM

If it is stripped down to just the main body with the front clip and doors off i would go for it. You should probably change the body mounts anyway if you haven't yet. If it wasnt ever undercoated you probably will have surface rust come back. I would use an encapulater on the bottom. IMO