Dual Striper Tool used at the factory

Old December 16th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Dual Striper Tool used at the factory

This my friends is the tool they used to stripe [edit- was "strip"] your Olds at the Lansing factory. Shown in use in the 100th anniversary book.

Thick -n- Thin stripe wheels...

Last edited by Octania; December 17th, 2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:58 PM

So, was this hand held?
Old December 17th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Oldsdruid

Beugler offers a similar tool and may have made these. I know a couple people who bought them and got passable results for folks who didn't really know what they were doing.

I admire people who can lay down a pinstripe, either with this tool or with a brush. My hands aren't steady enough anymore.
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:29 AM

Smile

I had one for years that you could put the single wheel on for single stripe, or double for two.Thanks for reminding me ,I loaned it to a friend ,and he has not brought it back. That gives me a good excuse to go see him tomorrow.
It was a chromed metal cylinder with a plunger at one end,and the wheel attachment on the other.The paint went in the cylinder,and when the wheel began to get low on paint, you just pushed on the plunger,slightly. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; December 17th, 2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Correction
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:39 AM

It was absolutely a handheld tool + job. Thanks for posting the pic, it's neat to see the tool! Right...Beugler, it's probably one of those. I think you can buy a modern cheaper version from Eastwood now.

Last edited by mrolds69; December 17th, 2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:49 AM

Thank you so much for posting this. I have never seen this before but knew they had to roll some of them somehow. I had a 72 W-30 with original stripes on the deck lid and you could see the little lines from the roller. Nobody believes me when I say that.
Old December 17th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Thank you so much for posting this. I have never seen this before but knew they had to roll some of them somehow. I had a 72 W-30 with original stripes on the deck lid and you could see the little lines from the roller. Nobody believes me when I say that.
The cross hatch or knurl lines? Really? OK
I thought those were to give the wheels a grip and provide space for some paint during delivery to the car surface.

I figure these were hand held, see the 100 year book for a pic of it in action.

There is however a dovetail feature so I assume that some sort of guide was attached to maintain spacing to a handy nearby body line.

Please note that this dual roller unit is SPECIAL- it has a thin and a thick roller. I recall that my brother's '67 had differing width stripes on the fender, and my '68 442 dash stripes are not the same width either. Wondering how they brought the 2 stripes together at the end on the 67 front fender- twist the tool? brush by hand?
Old December 17th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I had one of these when I was about 12. I used it to strip the fenders on my bicycle when I repainted it. That was about 1958. For a kid that knew nothing about what kind of paint to use, it turned out pretty good. I probably bought it from JC Whitney.
Old December 17th, 2015, 06:19 PM

I knew a guy in Boaz ,Al. that used a roller tool like the one I mentioned, professionally and the new car dealers around there would order their inventory without stripes,and pay him to stripe them. He would run a line of quarter inch tape,as a guide,and place the wide stripe against the tape line and he could stripe each side in a minute or less.He would twist the tool to where only the wide stripe would touch the surface, about 4 inches before the end of the stripes,then go back and line the smaller wheel and finish to a narrowed end.
If anyone is interested look up Beugler striping tool on Beugler .com
The exact kit that I have is The Deluxe Kit (in red box ) that sells now for $113! He used "One Shot sign painters paint". Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; December 17th, 2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Addition
Old December 17th, 2015, 06:46 PM

a link:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5pqo7wkqf0_b
Old December 17th, 2015, 08:06 PM
72 Olds CS

i like this app for that tool taken from one of the reviews

....My first project was a red pinstripe around the rim on my black truck rims, ......
Old December 18th, 2015, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
The cross hatch or knurl lines? Really? OK
I thought those were to give the wheels a grip and provide space for some paint during delivery to the car surface.
I would assume this is correct. If you looked at my stripes close you could see the lines in the paint. I had talked to Level one about adding stripes to my 70 W-30 and asked them about it. They were the only ones I ever talked to that knew why it was this way. I had never see a roller to understand the lines but now I know.
Old December 18th, 2015, 05:47 AM

I'd like to see one of these in action.
Old December 18th, 2015, 06:28 AM

Costpenn, Google Beugler striping tool at Beuglar.com.There's a video where he shows the basics. The deluxe kit also has an adjustable guide that you can place against any edge you wish to follow (such as a dog dish hubcap ,on old cars.)
To double stripe the old car wheels just jack the wheel up where it can be spun,set the distance you want from the hubcap on the guide,place the guide and slowly spin the wheel,with other hand , touching both painting wheels on surface of the wheel. Viola, double striped wheels.
They also make a magnetic strip that you can use on the side of car where you want the stripe,then set the guide to the distance you want above or below the strip.
You can purchase different width "painting wheels" but the deluxe kit comes with 1/8 and 1/16th sizes . Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; December 18th, 2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Add