Broken Body Mount

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Broken Body Mount

I am wondering if any of you have any suggestions on how to repair a body mount on my cutlass convert. The nut broke loose and is spinning inside the body channel. It is the # 5 mount behind the axle on the right side. I have some idea but they all involve cutting and welding. Hoping someone has a simpler solution.
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:06 AM

If the cage nut is spinning not sure there is a way without cutting?, there isn't even room to reach up and try to tack weld a spot. The good news it is in the trunk, you could perhaps cut 3 sides of a square bend it up, then after you just bend it back down and weld it shut, I suppose you could use a hole saw, and an appropriate size body plug they are rubber but it isn't ,correct, but will work, look at gear head,s thread on his convertible he fixed a few , sorry couldn't be more help.
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
If the cage nut is spinning not sure there is a way without cutting?, there isn't even room to reach up and try to tack weld a spot. The good news it is in the trunk, you could perhaps cut 3 sides of a square bend it up, then after you just bend it back down and weld it shut, I suppose you could use a hole saw, and an appropriate size body plug they are rubber but it isn't ,correct, but will work, look at gear head,s thread on his convertible he fixed a few , sorry couldn't be more help.
Thanks Eddie. This is the same bolt that I thought was stripped and you recommended the Craftsman sockets. Turned out to be the cage nut but those Craftsman sockets have come in on two other occasions. Recommend a set for every toolbox! I am going to look into the trunk access idea. I had also thought about drilling the nut out and welding a nut to a large washer and welding the washer to the underside of the body.
Old January 30th, 2014, 06:42 PM

had the same issue...ended up with a recip saw to cut the bolt. The used a zip cut to cut around three sides, bend up the metal, reweld...etc. turned out real nice when complete