Lansing VIN Rivets

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Lansing VIN Rivets

I have been searching this site and others for days now and am wondering if Lansing was consistent with how they attached the VIN rivets. On one of the Chevy forums they noted that some cars had the rivets inserted from below others from the top. Most cars that I have seen the rivets have had the rosettes facing up, my dash is completely apart and the rosettes can be seen from underneath. My rivets are original style and have a bit of black over spray but look original. I checked my 1970 assembly manual and sure enough it shows that the rivets are indeed installed from below. What is the consensus out there for rivet installation.
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:08 AM

I think the consensus will be that you can't install rivets on a VIN. There is no reason to tamper with the VIN plate, even if you are doing a frame off nut and bolt restoration. Don't forget it is a federal offense.
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM

that is neither my intent nor my question, I was asking if the rivets were installed from underneath as it has been pointed out by the Chevy guys that was common place in some assembly lines. I have heard from one Old's member last night that at Lansing the windshields were often installed before the VIN so yes they would be installed from underneath - that is the clarification I am looking for.
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Oh, sorry. I'm not sure how Olds installed their rivets.
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I have been searching this site and others for days now and am wondering if Lansing was consistent with how they attached the VIN rivets. On one of the Chevy forums they noted that some cars had the rivets inserted from below others from the top. Most cars that I have seen the rivets have had the rosettes facing up, my dash is completely apart and the rosettes can be seen from underneath. My rivets are original style and have a bit of black over spray but look original. I checked my 1970 assembly manual and sure enough it shows that the rivets are indeed installed from below. What is the consensus out there for rivet installation.
The factory assembly manuals show the rivets as being installed either way - it was an option. By the way, it is NOT a federal offense to remove and reinstall the VIN tag if this is necessary for a repair. Read the law, which is 18USC511:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...Cite:+18USC511

VIN tag tampering is only illegal if there is intent to commit fraud. Note, however, that this is NOT always the case with state law, which is less well informed. In Maryland, for example, it is illegal to tamper with the VIN derivatives, which means that engine, trans, and frame swaps are illegal. Anyone ever comply with this?
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM

thanks, that is what I thought, two of the guys at the shop were disagreeing with whether they were installed one way or both ways and I checked two other 70's from the Fremont plant and the rosettes were above the VIN tag not below so I started to flip a bit, then when I looked at mine myself it was clear they were original rivets put in from beneath. In the end not sure it matters but still its nice to know - peace of mind I guess.