after market hood

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by WTony
From what Im told, they dont come with the hood if ordered seperatly. But I have a set of them in my tool box if you need them. I'll trade you for your stock springs.
I'm planning on buying my hood as part of a package and it includes the light springs. But if you're still interested in my old springs, I might send them to you.
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:42 AM

I have some interesting news. I went into the city to buy those two bumpers I mentioned in another thread when the guy told me his business partner has a REAL ram air hood from a 72 442. The only problem is there's a corner broken out of it, supposedly it's not that bad. But, considering I'm a body man with lots of fiberglassing experience, it shouldn't be a problem for me. He's going to send me photos of the hood in the next few days and if it's not too badly damaged, I'm buying as fast as I can get to his house.
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice to hear you can get a real W25 hood. Those are somewhat hard to find, and when they do get found, it's usually around 3500 - 3900 for the hood. Hope the price takes into account the damage...I know you're not fishing for numbers.
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Better look it over with a fine tooth comb, most people dont know how to tell the difference between a real hood and a fake hood so they end up just going by what the guy they got it from said and of course they always say theyre real if they can get away with it. Then the seller advertises it as a real hood without even knowing its not. Ive been there >.<

As luck would have it my accidently buying the fake hood would turn out awesome for me trade-wise, but i just lucked out lol. Ended up getting 2 455s from it, one with a drilled crank and one with a forged crank :-)
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Vega
Better look it over with a fine tooth comb, most people dont know how to tell the difference between a real hood and a fake hood so they end up just going by what the guy they got it from said and of course they always say theyre real if they can get away with it. Then the seller advertises it as a real hood without even knowing its not. Ive been there >.<

As luck would have it my accidently buying the fake hood would turn out awesome for me trade-wise, but i just lucked out lol. Ended up getting 2 455s from it, one with a drilled crank and one with a forged crank :-)
Vega! Long time....
Sounds like you were able to get rid of that fake one for 2 (two???) 455's?? Wow, good job. How'd things to with the CS?
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Haha thanks! yeah it has been a while, ive been spending a lot of time over at thirdgen.org getting parts/info for my daily driver 91' RS Camaro. Lots of cool stuff going on with that now! ^_^

Yeah its a funny story, i always kinda believe in a type of fate and that bad things usually happen for good reasons, guess this one just kinda supports that haha. I had a spare 70' fender in good shape and a guy wanted it so i sold it to him for like $100 (wasnt looking to start a trust fund just wanted to move it along to someone who would use it) when he came to see it he was also interested in the hood, i gave him the whole story on it and he still wanted it, his father worked a lot with fiberglass so he could really make something nice out of it. He offered to trade me 2 455s he didnt know much about for it so we ended up trading, turns out one was a 76 with J heads and one was a 68 with small valve C heads and a forged crank. Both had awesome blocks in great re-useable shape. sold the forged crank to a member on here and using the manual crank out of the 76 for my build. The 68 block was in great shape and had never spun any bearings so im thinking the oil passages must be pretty up to par, so im gonna be using that in my build as well. Things are coming together nicely now. I still have the Supreme. Still have no idea what im gonna do with it either lol. Its pretty much a parts car so i may just part it out. Sucks to say so but theres a bright side in that it would help fund a much more solid fastback project :-) just goes to show though, no matter how bad things seem it first they always work themselves out in time! Karma is real! haha
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Nice to hear you can get a real W25 hood. Those are somewhat hard to find, and when they do get found, it's usually around 3500 - 3900 for the hood. Hope the price takes into account the damage...I know you're not fishing for numbers.
It's extremely cheap for what it is. He's sending me pictures later today. I'm experienced with fiberglassing, so unless the hood is bent in the middle, or something crazy like that, it shouldn't be a problem for me to repair it. I plan on using my steel hood to make a mold for repairing the missing piece.

It also has the paint from the previous car still on it. I can't wait to see it. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to find a real W25 hood.
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM

This guy is a serious Oldsmobile guy. His house is huge and he has, at least, a half dozen classic Olds cars in pristine condition. These are just what I saw. There were more buildings out back of his house. Plus, the upstairs of his garage is like a museum for Oldsmobile parts. He's the guy I bought my bumpers from. If he says it's a real W25 hood, I believe him.

He has a '68 442 that looks like it came from the factory.

Oh.....and one last thing. This hood has the steel undercarriage. The only ones I know that have the steel undercarriage is Thornton's and the factory original. Either way, I'm getting the most valuable hood. But, I still trust the guy.
Old April 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM

I should also add that I'm not buying the hood to add value to the car because my car did not come with one. I'm buying it because it's a good deal and I want one because they make the car look amazing. I was willing to buy one from Parts Place just for the look. But now I can buy the real thing for only a couple hundred dollars more.
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:08 AM

Thats fine, not trying to disrespect anyone or anything just lookin out for you
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:26 AM
KDW

hood spring & Pins

Hello everyone it’s been awhile I started this post awhile back with my hood episode from the Parts Place. I finally got a hood from OPGI in so Cal and it’s made by Glasstek. This hood is made so much better than the one from the Parts Place. I will post pics later so you can see the difference.
I still have 2 questions the first
Can anyone shed so light on light weight springs? The light weight one from Parts Place doesn’t seem to have enough tension to keep hood level with fender when the hood is closed. I should also say it dose keep the hood up when checking thing out under hood. Back to my problem, I can lift up the rear of the hood about a 1/4 of an inch, I’m sure it’s the spring and I do have shims under the rear of the hood.
I’ve heard of guys using old worn out factory spring they say they work better. Any input would be great.
The second question
Anyone have a pic of drilling and slotting hole for hood pins.
Thanks
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Thats fine, not trying to disrespect anyone or anything just lookin out for you
I know you were and I appreciate it.

Last edited by Olds_71_442; April 7th, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:30 AM

Aren't the Parts Place hoods made by Glasstek?
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:41 AM
KDW

hood spring & Pins

I can tell you from what they sent me, No I don’t believe the hood I recied from Parts Place was made by Glasstek. Total different, the hood from Parts Place very thin, flimsy, body line were short and missing fiber glass. Unless they have a different hood they sale to venders like OPGI.
This what i got From Parts Place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hood1.JPG (101.7 KB, 88 views)
hood3.JPG (103.1 KB, 84 views)
hood4.JPG (107.0 KB, 79 views)
hood 6.jpg (26.9 KB, 83 views)
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
KDW

This is what I got fro OPGI. will post more pic from the under side later
Attached Images
OPGI.JPG (83.4 KB, 86 views)
OPGI.JPG3.JPG (95.0 KB, 83 views)
OPGI2.JPG (109.6 KB, 82 views)
Old April 7th, 2012, 01:12 PM

They definitely do not look the same. I did know Tamraz sells Glasstek hoods and I thought I read somewhere that Parts Place sells Glasstek hoods too?

I also read somewhere that VFN and Glasstek come from the same molds? Looks like I've got to do some investigating.....

Do you have any pictures of both hoods from a farther distance? I'd like to see how it looks in front of the scoops. I noticed the guy with the VFN hood had bumps on either side of the front of the scoop....similar to what the steel hood with the fake vents had. And the pictures of the Parts Place hoods look the same way. But the hoods that Tamraz are selling are flat in front of the scoops. Same with Fiberconcepts. They look a lot like the Thornton hoods, except they don't have the same quality.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Olds_71_442
They definitely do not look the same. I did know Tamraz sells Glasstek hoods and I thought I read somewhere that Parts Place sells Glasstek hoods too?

I also read somewhere that VFN and Glasstek come from the same molds? Looks like I've got to do some investigating.....

Do you have any pictures of both hoods from a farther distance? I'd like to see how it looks in front of the scoops. I noticed the guy with the VFN hood had bumps on either side of the front of the scoop....similar to what the steel hood with the fake vents had. And the pictures of the Parts Place hoods look the same way. But the hoods that Tamraz are selling are flat in front of the scoops. Same with Fiberconcepts. They look a lot like the Thornton hoods, except they don't have the same quality.
The Parts Place and Tamraz Hoods Are in Fact from Glasstek and Just to help clarify, The Glasstek And VFN hoods Do not come from the same molds, the Glasstek has the extra lip at the back and has straight off edges at the front of the scoops whereas the VFN Hoods have a return edge at the front of the scoops. Here are pictures of the VFN, notice the edge on the scoop openings, and that the inside of the scoop is smoother. The two company's are both in the suburbs of Chicago, but are some 20 to 30 miles apart along congested traffic routes

IMAG1599.jpg

IMAG1598.jpg
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Are these the steel frame hoods you guys are talking about?
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1carsick
Are these the steel frame hoods you guys are talking about?

The Fiberconcepts, glasstek and vfn are completely fiberglass versions, the thornton version is like a factory hood with a fiberglass top and airbox and steel frame on the underside and the cost reflects that
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by mondo1
The Parts Place and Tamraz Hoods Are in Fact from Glasstek and Just to help clarify, The Glasstek And VFN hoods Do not come from the same molds, the Glasstek has the extra lip at the back and has straight off edges at the front of the scoops whereas the VFN Hoods have a return edge at the front of the scoops. Here are pictures of the VFN, notice the edge on the scoop openings, and that the inside of the scoop is smoother. The two company's are both in the suburbs of Chicago, but are some 20 to 30 miles apart along congested traffic routes

Thanks......I thought I noticed a raise at the front of the VFN hood. It looks like they took the mold from the steel hood and added the hood scoops after.

I wasn't sure if they came from the same molds. I read it somewhere on here that they did. But I could tell they had some slight differences to them.
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Well........I got my hood today. It is the real thing. The steel webbing underneath is in perfect condition too. A lot of those old cars were rusted out where the hood latches and this one is perfect. I'd say it's been stored indoors for most of it's life. I'm still in shock that I found an authentic W25 hood.
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:14 PM

I purchased the steel framed hood from The Parts Place.
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 1carsick
I purchased the steel framed hood from The Parts Place.

Is it for a 70 or is it for the 71-72?

Right now the 70 is advertised but the 71-72 says "call for info"

Editted to add......sorry I didn't notice before. I see you asked a question about a 1970 Cutlass S in another thread.

Last edited by Olds_71_442; April 17th, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by WTony
I can personally say that the Fiberconcepts hood is the way to go. I bought one of Robs first 70 hoods and it fit my 69 pretty good. Since then they have made upgrades to the hood.
I still talk to him regularly because he is the guy making the bodies to my 69 HO ram air top cans for me.
He's a good guy that stands behind his product. If somethings wrong, he'll make it right for you, one way or another.

Here's some pics done of my FC hood. Generally it's been great, but it has needed about 15 hours worth of work to get it to what I ws looking for. Again, inlet openings were rough, and there was a pretty good void on the PS towards the front almost where it meets the trims, and the whole center section outlined by the air box on the top surface was low. Still, a great investment without completely breaking the bank
Attached Images
Hood Inlet Reworking.jpg (43.9 KB, 71 views)
Inlet After.jpg (54.4 KB, 71 views)
Air Box Low.jpg (4.3 KB, 71 views)
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:50 PM

I have a 70 hood.