Fuel pump fitting

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Fuel pump fitting

I was replacing the fuel pump on my 65 Starfire with AC and managed to mangle this fitting in the process. Male threaded end went to fuel pump, female went to carb., and 1/4" male push on went to the return line. I haven't been able to locate a replacement anywhere in this configuration. Does anyone know where I can get one online or elsewhere? I searched sites like rock auto and inline tube but haven't found one just like it. Any suggestions on finding one would be appreciated.
Old July 9th, 2017, 10:34 AM

Every fuel pump I see listed for a 65 has an in and an out (airtex 40030 on my car now top pic). A fuel pump for a 66 (airtex 40262 bottom pic)has an in, an out and a return line male straight off the pump itself. These sites say this pump is not for the 65, but would there be any reason why I couldn't use the 40262 and ditch the fitting all together?

Old July 9th, 2017, 10:38 AM

The return to the tank was designed to prevent the fuel pump from overpowering the float valve in the carburetor. You can try the pump that you pictured, but it will be hard to tell how well that fuel pump will work with a carburetor that was designed with a return. Generally speaking, GM used this method to resolve a known problem, not to add additional parts that were not necessary.
If you can't find a replacement part, possibly you can find a part that doesn't have the return nipple, and then drill and solder the nipple from the one that you have into the new part. Might not look factory, but it should get you back to working as intended fuel pump.

Last edited by Junkman; July 9th, 2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old July 9th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Junkman
The return to the tank was designed to prevent the fuel pump from overpowering the float valve in the carburetor.
No, actually it wasn't. Olds built millions of cars without fuel return. The return was designed to circulate hot fuel back to the tank to cool, helping to prevent vapor lock. The return fitting in the pump had a restrictor to prevent excessive pressure loss from the return line. You'll never find a new version of that fitting. As shown, replacement pumps (and most factory pumps) have a separate return line barb. That will work fine on your car.
Old July 9th, 2017, 02:29 PM

Great, thanks.