Summit Roller tip rockers any good?

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Ben

Summit Roller tip rockers any good?

Getting ready to order the last few things i need for buttoning up my 455 build.

I was looking to get the Comp pn:1442 magnum steel roller tip rockers, but spotted these from summit for $60 less:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...ake/oldsmobile

They look to be pretty much identical to the comp rockers. Anyone run them on a mild (~425hp) build?

Thanks-
Ben
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM

One part says designed for 1.25 in spring, the other says good to 1.500, hmmm.

Horsepower has little to do with rocker integrity. It would be more effected by lobe profile, rpm and spring pressures than anything else.
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:12 PM

I had some problems keeping the roller tip rockers adjusted. ended up getting harlan sharpe full roller rockers and I really like them.
They don't clear stock valve cover baffles
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
One part says designed for 1.25 in spring, the other says good to 1.500, hmmm.

Horsepower has little to do with rocker integrity. It would be more effected by lobe profile, rpm and spring pressures than anything else.
Sorry, i wasn't trying to say I expecting these to gain me anything HP wise- i was just saying my expected HP range as a way to identify my build and goals. I should have posted more info.
Basically I want something that will work well and not be horribly expensive.

455 .030 over- TRW L2323F pisons- Stock Rods- Balanced rotating assy. Line honed mains.

Cam is a lunati 60803. Specs here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10420703lk

My heads are the procomp aluminum's with their stock springs (i am having them blueprinted and will know the exact spring pressures in a few weeks)

Per Bernard mondello's site, here are the Advertised spring specs on them out of the box: 1.460"od 130-135 LBS ON THE SEAT & 320 LBS OPEN @.600 LIFT

----
When you compare the specs between the comp rockers & these summit ones they are identical- both say maximum spring diameter 1.5. Just the description on the summit peice that says it was designed for stock 1.25 diam springs- to me that reads differently than the "Max spring" size thats in the specs.

Anyway, I guess the same question goes for the comp 1442 magnums (since they appear identical and what i was initially looking at) ... are they ok for this application? Really don't have $300 to spend on fancy rockers.

Thanks-
Ben

Old January 16th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

take a look at the prw roller tip rockers they are cheaper than comp cams and come with posi locks included. Im happy with mine i have had them with no issues .
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I had some problems keeping the roller tip rockers adjusted. ended up getting harlan sharpe full roller rockers and I really like them.
Did you run polylocks, or just the crushed locknut that comes with them?
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
Yes they do on stock heads. For the hundreth time, the poly locks hit the valve covers, not the rockers. They make shorter poly locks, I have them on my car.
Rambow, with that VooDoo cam I'd run a good aluminum rocker. There isn't a faster more harsh hydraulic lobe on the planet.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
...with that VooDoo cam I'd run a good aluminum rocker. There isn't a faster more harsh hydraulic lobe on the planet.
Can you give a little more info on why you'd avoid the steel roller tiped ones?
Are these going to self destruct? cause the cam to go flat or cause valve float because they are too heavy?

GOOD aluminum full roller rockers are double the cost(or more!) of these- and I am on a tight budget. I'm also not attempting to squeeze every last HP out of the engine.

I need a specific reason to spend the extra $$.
If these flat out won't work or are going to destroy stuff, thats a good reason.

Not trying to beat up your recommendations, its just the way my brain works... I need to know WHY.

thanks-
Ben
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:32 AM

Ben, I seen multiple posts here and ROP where the comp pushrods that come with the kit have problems. By the time you upgrade to better pushrods, you might as well buy aluminum rockers. Other than that, I don't have any good reason why for a budget street engine. I have a set of Scorpion aluminum rockers that were quite a bit less $ than HS, but still more expensive than the 1442. I haven't run them yet, but have heard good things about them.
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by MX442
Ben, I seen multiple posts here and ROP where the comp pushrods that come with the kit have problems. By the time you upgrade to better pushrods, you might as well buy aluminum rockers. Other than that, I don't have any good reason why for a budget street engine. I have a set of Scorpion aluminum rockers that were quite a bit less $ than HS, but still more expensive than the 1442. I haven't run them yet, but have heard good things about them.
I was looking at the 1442 kit that is just the rockers, my heads already have studs & guide plates, and I prefer to buy my pushrods separately anyway.

anyone have input on these "high energy" aluminum ones from comp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-1-6-R-7...92a5bd&vxp=mtr

I've seen enough to know to stay away from the off brand cheap aluminum ones, but these are priced about the same as the Comp magnum ones, and come with the poly locks I would have bought separately for the other ones.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
I was looking at the 1442 kit that is just the rockers, my heads already have studs & guide plates, and I prefer to buy my pushrods separately anyway.

anyone have input on these "high energy" aluminum ones from comp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-1-6-R-7...92a5bd&vxp=mtr

I've seen enough to know to stay away from the off brand cheap aluminum ones, but these are priced about the same as the Comp magnum ones, and come with the poly locks I would have bought separately for the other ones.
One thing I learned when dealing whith rockerarms is that the stud i a difficult task to deal with if you dont want to machine for a wider stud in the heads.

Since the original tread in the head is only 5/16 inch you only have the comp stud that follows with the comp steel roller tip rockers, what i know. I matched that one with a 3/8 1:6 HS non Olds rocker arm with no success. The treads left are really short, about 1/2 inch. Maybee thats enough of thredlenght, but I didn't feel safe about it. What type of rockerstuds do you have?
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Are these going to self destruct? cause the cam to go flat or cause valve float because they are too heavy?

GOOD aluminum full roller rockers are double the cost(or more!) of these- and I am on a tight budget. I'm also not attempting to squeeze every last HP out of the engine.

I need a specific reason to spend the extra $$.

thanks-
Ben
I realize you're on a tight budget. But with that said, where would you find the money to do it right the second time if it failed the first time?
That's my point, wait a few days, weeks, months for the money to do it right the first time.
Those Comp aluminums are fine, I'd go that route.
And overall rocker weight isn't the issue. It's the weight over the tip and pushrod that counts the most. And the roller fulcrum on the roller rocker will be easier on those lobes no doubt.

And I hope you have good studs in it no matter which way you go.
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:01 PM

I also am running Scorpions and they are fine after 4 years. I also run the 803 Lunati cam with edelbrock heads. Less cost than the Sharpes.
Old January 19th, 2013, 12:07 AM

I believe on the comp 1442 rocker kit includes the guide plates and the studs. I don't see that on the "Summit" kit. It looks like all you get is the rockers, pivots, and nuts. The list of parts don't list any of extra parts.

Gene
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:30 AM

I am one of the guys who had a problem with the Comp pushrods.
In less than 150 miles 7 pushrod tips wore out. I sent them back and they had to send me a new set.
So far so good.
Joe
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:22 PM

I used the Comp Cams roller tip rockers and they worked great. I would think the Summit ones would work fine too. I haven't been displeased with anything I've bought from Summit.
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:19 PM

"Rambow" I read in another thread that you went with the "Procomp? heads. These rockers you are asking about won't work on the Procomp heads. You will need real roller rockers & 3/8 push rods.

Gene
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Ben

After much reading, Decided that i'm going to go ahead and spring for good ones per most folks advice- Looking specifically at the Harland Sharps.

Wondering if I need the 5003's which are made for the edelbrock aluminum heads (and by extension, the procomps like i have?)
or if i should do the 5001s

Read on ROP that the difference is because of the edelbrocks taller valve stem height. Unsure what the difference will be between that and my procomps.

I guess i should wait until my guy gets them blue printed and i find out how long the valve stem on these is & if its the same as the edelbrock valves are.
Any thoughts?