It started with a small noise....

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:24 PM

It started with a small noise....

I have been working on my engine for a few months now, here is where it all started https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-my-455-a.html

Since then I have gotten all the parts required for a full rebuild, probably over kill. I have replaced pretty much everything except the crank, con rods, block and heads. Anything else is brand new stock replacement but the pistons, they are 30 thou over. Here are some pics of before and what I am currently up too, I should have done this ages ago but have been quite busy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
before small.jpg (137.7 KB, 77 views)
current small.jpg (127.9 KB, 75 views)
current small 1.jpg (132.7 KB, 81 views)
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:48 PM

One thing leads to another - i know it well. Mine started with an upper control arm squauk...
Looking good so far!
Old July 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Past Administrator

It is so true. I bet half of the projects mentioned on this site started with 'just something small' a weekend fix-it job.
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yet another case of the dreaded MIGHTASWELLS...
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:53 AM

In the mid 80s I bought a numbers matching '70 GTO Judge off the original owner. It was a solid used car so I drove it for a while until the left exhaust manifold gasket blew out. The Ram Air III manifold was difficult to remove without jacking the engine...7 years, 2 moves and 3 states later I finished the body-off-frame restoration that I never intended to do! I'm glad I did it but NEVER again!
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:54 AM

once you start down the road....................and then.............it never really ends
Old August 2nd, 2011, 08:24 AM
this is not my car lol

Originally Posted by citcapp
once you start down the road....................and then.............it never really ends

if i only knew then, what i know now.....

i would have gotten into collecting them faberge eggs. cheaper and easier!
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM

My machinist called me yesterday to inform me that my pistons are different sizes Bought in a set and 6 are 4.1535 1 is 4.152 and 1 is 4.150 he says he can balance the engine all good just not sure about clearances with such a "large" variation in size. I emailed the manufacturer and am now awaiting there response. Lets hope I have some good news soon I don't want to be having to wait while they ship out some more
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:21 PM

That sucks, hope the manufacture stands behind their product and sends you the replacements without a hassle
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ausraven
My machinist called me yesterday to inform me that my pistons are different sizes Bought in a set and 6 are 4.1535 1 is 4.152 and 1 is 4.150 he says he can balance the engine all good just not sure about clearances with such a "large" variation in size. I emailed the manufacturer and am now awaiting there response. Lets hope I have some good news soon I don't want to be having to wait while they ship out some more
What manufacturer? I wanna know not to buy from them Lol!
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM

The pistons were Kieth Black performance. I got no response so had to have my machinist fix the problem for me! I will be getting my block and the rest of it back from him today but I won't be able to start anything yet as I don't have the new bolts, head, conrod, mains. While it was at the shop I beefed up my engine stand, just wasn't cutting it for me. When I take a pic of the engine on it you will see lol. If all goes well it will be done in a month, fingers crossed
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:57 PM

I wonder how he can balance the engine out. I can understand how u might do it with respect to the weight of the different parts, but one would think that given the differnent diameters that literally the power of each cylinder's ignition would be unbalanced..........or are the differences too small to effect that?
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

If it was me those pistons go back for a full refund asap...........
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:26 AM

Being that I am in Australia they simply ignored me so I can't send them back to someone who will not admit fault and give me a refund

The difference is only .0035" so the difference shouldn't be to big. They were able to balance it all up to within a gram which is pretty good if you ask me.

Next on my list is getting the conrod bolts replaced. I only found out that you have to have the rod resized when you replace the bolts after I had the engine balanced. On the plus side the pistons have not yet been put onto the rods. Can I call my machinist and have him replace them and resize without having to balance the thing again or not? I have 36 hours before they open for business again and put the pistons on
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:50 PM

Yes - the nuts and bolts weigh the same, or very close, and the resizing shouldn't change the weight, but ask them to check it anyway!
Old August 21st, 2011, 02:43 PM

I was able to get onto my machinist this morning before they put the pistons on. He is happy to wait a couple of days till I can get the rod bolts to him and install and resize them.

I have done some more on the front end too, just some cleaning up. I will post some pics when I copy them over.
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:29 AM

I have gotten all my stuff back from the machine shop now, he was able to install the con rod bolts no probs when they turned up. I am just waiting on the mains bolts and the head bolts and then I can start to reassemble her and get her back on the road where she belongs
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Cutlass Lover

Alright, Adrian!!!!!
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Yahoo Adrian,

Soon it will be summer down under and you can enjoy cruising. Too cool
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Well I started the rebuild and it wasn't long before I was stopped. I got the cam in, the crankshaft in and the pistons in. Next I went to install the timing gear and turns out the chain that came with the set is to f*#@ing short!!!! It is missing one link by the looks of it. I have added a pic to let ya'll see. I laid the new one over the old and as you can see way too short. I just need some conformation before I ring them to sort out another one. I hate to start calling people idiots and such unless I am right At least the set was alot cheaper then the pistons
Attached Images
timing chain small.jpg (38.1 KB, 20 views)
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:02 AM

I called the couple of American car parts shops around here and I actually found one that had a timing set on the shelf so I just went and bought the thing I was not letting a stupid chain stop me from finishing this engine I am just waiting on the head bolts now, the guy I ordered them from is upgrading my postage to FedEx international for free because of the delay, he had to order them from the manufacturer. I have put the heads on with the old bolts for now, just 4 per hear finger tight, so I could get the lifters, pushrods and rocker arms on, also finger tight. That way I can just torque it all up when I get the bolts Here is a pic of my progress. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
rebuilding engine (19)small.jpg (124.5 KB, 14 views)
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:12 AM

Update. Car is back on the road With the new twin exhaust she sounds really sweet. I have to get a pic of the new engine bay so ya'll can see the before and after. Here is a link to a video of her after a long awaited bath http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8zhXHM3zxE
Old October 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Cutlass Lover

Great job Adrian!!!!