Pertronix install help

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2012, 05:55 PM

Pertronix install help

So I want to install the Flamethrower HEI in my BB rebuild but am confused by different instructions from neighbors, forums, videos ...
#1 cylinder is at tdc on compression stroke. I know I need to have rotor at terminal to #1 cylinder when it slips in. I see no marks on cap showing which is #1. In theory, as long as firing order is correct, it shouldn't matter where I start, right? I have seen videos saying point rotor towards #1 cylinder. I have also seen drawings that say first from center right top terminal should be #1. My first rebuild and I need advice from some of you gurus. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2875.JPG (112.5 KB, 31 views)
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by zodiacblueS
... as long as firing order is correct, it shouldn't matter where I start, right?
Right.

Originally Posted by zodiacblueS
I have seen videos saying point rotor towards #1 cylinder. I have also seen drawings that say first from center right top terminal should be #1.
The reason there is a generally advised direction is so that the advance can doesn't bang into anything when you adjust your timing.

As long as you can move the distributor enough to set the timing where you want it, it doesn't matter where any of the parts are.

That being said, pointing the advance can toward the passenger rear, and the HEI plug toward the driver's side (so the letters on top of the coil in your picture can be read when standing in front of the car) will put it in the conventional position.

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:58 PM

I had a horrible time with mine, it took me three evenings and a lot of cussing to get it running again, And I didn't notice any change in performance from my old points, I kind of thought I should have spent the money somewhere else haha
Old April 5th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Geezer

No electronic ignition system conversion is going to offer a significantly noticeable increase in performance in an older stock engine other than a minor increase in fuel efficiency and may not even do that unless accompanied with a matching coil. A conversion is of great benefit over points if a new more aggressive cam has been placed in an engine as points are often unable to keep up. That's why in the good old days aggressive cams virtually required a dual point ignition.

Given time, you one may see some increase in fuel efficiency but don't expect miracles. Main benefit is not having to jack around with replacing and adjusting points in the future.
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:07 PM

I've had the BB bored .30 over, decked, FM 2323 18cc pistons, an Erson TQ40 (mild)cam, Edelbrock performer intake, roller rockers, big valve "C" heads milled to about 78cc's, replaced the factory 2-1/4 duals with 2-1/2", so its not really stock, but a mild mannered street machine, with gonads. I got a really bad case of the "as long as I'm in here...." thus the Flamethrower. Some of you know the story.
Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by zodiacblueS; April 5th, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM

When you install the dist, and yes you can set it anywhere you want. You just have to make sure the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire on the cap, with the #1 piston is at TDC. Then you can run the firing order from that point.
Some times you have to move the dist a tooth or two to get the adjustment you need for timing.

Gene
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Well, there was a small, flourescent green dot on the dist. body, under the cap, that indicated the top, right, drivers side terminal. Went in like a charm. Now for the A/C.
Thanks again