Oil Leak at Distributor - Maybe this O-ring, here?

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2016, 12:30 PM

Thumbs up Oil Leak at Distributor - Maybe this O-ring, here?

Hey all! Since I picked up this '67 Delta back in September, it's had an oil leak, and it seems like it's gotten a little worse after the winter.

Eventually, I was able to find the source, and it's leaking from where the distributor meets the manifold. I pulled the distributor yesterday to see if I could find any obvious signs of failure in its sealing, and the only think I can think of is if this O-ring isn't the proper size. The Felpro 424, as suggested on the gaskets thread, looks more O-shaped, and this one almost looks D-shaped:

Just curious what your opinion is, and whether I'm on the right track or not. Tired of leaking oil!

Thank you all, as always.

-Jake
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:37 PM

They flatten over time. It's a cheap part, buy a new one!
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:39 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mrolds69
They flatten over time. It's a cheap part, buy a new one!
Oh, awesome! I was hoping that'd be it. I actually already did.. can't beat $1.49 to fix anything on an old car, right?
Old March 21st, 2016, 12:40 PM

And, to clarify, I ordered it.. should be at the NAPA across the street in about 20 mins. Also, any tips to replace these things? Just a flathead screwdriver or two?
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Cut the old one off, slide the new one carefully from the bottom and into the slot. Try not to let it twist.
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Cut the old one off, slide the new one carefully from the bottom and into the slot. Try not to let it twist.
Roger Wilco.. I can tell the current O-ring is bad, as it cracked and broke off the shaft.. Thanks, Eric!
Old March 21st, 2016, 02:46 PM
72 Olds CS

i try to use something softer than what the oring groove is madeof to remove the old oring. I typically will use a small dowel w the shaft sharpened slightly this allows you to get under and to lift the old oring up and out of the groove w out scoring the groove and leadin to another leak. also when reinstalling if you lay the same dowel along the length of the dizzy and roll the oring up you can make any adjustments before allowing the oring to drop into place.

also a common source of a leak in that area may be from the intake to block seal.
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
i try to use something softer than what the oring groove is madeof to remove the old oring. I typically will use a small dowel w the shaft sharpened slightly this allows you to get under and to lift the old oring up and out of the groove w out scoring the groove and leadin to another leak. also when reinstalling if you lay the same dowel along the length of the dizzy and roll the oring up you can make any adjustments before allowing the oring to drop into place.

also a common source of a leak in that area may be from the intake to block seal.
Thanks for the suggestions, Retro! I'll pick up a dowel next time I'm out. And I thought for sure it was leaking from the manifold-to-block seam, but it looks like someone did a fairly good job sealing that. I don't see any oil there.. looks like it's coming out of the distributor hole, and runs down the bell housing. Pretty grimey back there.. tried to get a picture of the seam but it didn't turn out:

Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:33 AM

I've got a leak in the same area. Let us know if this fixes your leak.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 455man
I've got a leak in the same area. Let us know if this fixes your leak.
Glad to hear this is kind of common.. I finally got the chance to run the car a bit last night to see if it fixed it, and it's a no go for now. Still getting a leak at the distributor. I'm gonna pull the distributor again tonight or sometime within the next few days to make sure the O-ring isn't twisted or something weird.

I will say, I got the Felpro 424, and it doesn't fill up the groove like the old one did.. kind of loose, in my opinion. I'm wondering if it's not a stock distributor. I'll keep everyone informed as I try to track down the issue.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:15 PM
Administrator

You can either match the old one to a new one or hand carry the distributor to the local parts store and find one that fits. The ID needs to be snug, the OD needs to fill the groove and protrude enough to seal against the block without binding or getting sheared off.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You can either match the old one to a new one or hand carry the distributor to the local parts store and find one that fits. The ID needs to be snug, the OD needs to fill the groove and protrude enough to seal against the block without binding or getting sheared off.
That's what I was thinking.. didn't look quite right to me. I'll post another pic of the 424 on there, if I get the chance, just for a closer look for all you guys.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:23 PM

And before you stick it smear it with syn. grease or o-ring lube. It will go in easier and seal out any moisture.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
And before you stick it smear it with syn. grease or o-ring lube. It will go in easier and seal out any moisture.
I was also wondering about that.. I'll definitely post a pic of the 424 on there and see what you guys think - whether it just needs some grease or not. Thanks!
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Vaseline or some bearing grease will work also.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 01:03 PM

OC is correct about size. I just don't use a petroleum grease around rubber, but any will seal it
Old March 23rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
72 Olds CS

RA lists the 424 as the correct oring for my 70 455 distributor FWIW.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:46 PM

I think the 424 should be the correct size for the '67 425 as well, right? Also, I'll post pics of what I've found after pulling the distributor again.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:59 PM

Here are some more pics of the 424 on it.. I'm curious what you guys think about the fit. These should show the gap I'm concerned with.. also, this is before the grease suggestion. And, I did notice a bit of a gash on one side, some material on the shaft that looked like eraser shavings, so I'm wondering if it bound up and I ruined this one:

Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That's definitely the right O-ring and the right fit.

There's only one.

The O-ring fills the space when it is compressed by installing the distributor.

What you need to do now is to install the distributor, and then clean off the whole rear shelf area thoroughly with Gunk or something similarly powerful, then drive the car and look to see where the leak is coming from - you won't be able to tell while it is all greasy.

Odds are it's the rear manifold seal.

- Eric
Old March 23rd, 2016, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
That's definitely the right O-ring and the right fit.

There's only one.

The O-ring fills the space when it is compressed by installing the distributor.

What you need to do now is to install the distributor, and then clean off the whole rear shelf area thoroughly with Gunk or something similarly powerful, then drive the car and look to see where the leak is coming from - you won't be able to tell while it is all greasy.

Odds are it's the rear manifold seal.

- Eric
It sure looks like it's coming from the distributor, but I think you must be right if that's the exact right O-ring. I'll look more into the manifold seal tomorrow. Thanks, sir!