New Carburetor?

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:31 AM

New Carburetor?

Hi

I have recently purchased a 1970 toronado and am completely new to Oldsmobiles and I'm from Australia, anyways the carburetor is in need of a rebuild and I was wanting to know is there any other carburetor {elderbrock, Holley etc} that will suit the low intake manifold with hood clearance and give better performance ? I am wanting to by a new carburetor because parts for the Q jet or complete q jets in general are very scarce here but aftermarket carburetors like holley etc are readily available. Whatever information you share is appreciated.

Also while Im asking the questions, Is there any basic mods, non-machining, I can do to the toronado to give it a bit more power or am I restricted on account of the FWD etc

thanks
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site Matt. As long as you pay attention to the bore pattern on the manifold and match that with the replacement carb you should have not troubles. People have used Edelbrocks and Holleys before. You might also look at the possibility of having the carb rebuilt by someone here in the States. We have at least one person here on our site that does it well, maybe more.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:38 AM

You can always put a cam in the engine. Welcome to the site.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:59 AM

I cut and pased from "small block" area:

There is a guy that rebuilt my Rochester 4bbl for around $200. Some idiot epoxyed my carb together, so he had to get me another core. He charged $75. I had a rough idle due to the throttle bushings and leak down issues after when hot.

Mountain Man fuel systems in AK:He did eveything including re-bushing the throttle shafts and epoxying the float bowl well plugs. Carb came back to me looking brand new, and worked great! Seeing how a rebuild kit was 50-75 bucks, I thought it was worth it.

ADDRESS IS: MOUNTAIN MAN FUEL SYSTEMS
c/o TED LOWE
9401 SUGARLOAF MTN. RD.
HACKETT AR 72937
479-639-2022

Last edited by 68ragtop; June 10th, 2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You can always put a cam in the engine. Welcome to the site.
What cam would you suggest? If it helps the engine comp is 10.5:1 and gearing 3.07:1

I really dont know much when it comes to cams so your advice would help.
I would like to make the car as powerful as I can before I need to start maching parts etc as this may be a possibility later down the track but until then.

thanks people
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM

not to diverge from the thread but welcome from another OLDS STARVED member from down under.For smaller parts such as a carb , you should check out freight ex states .It is almost cheaper to send to oz or new zealand than to ship from state to state in USA.
ps --these guys here know as much about olds as we would about holdens down under --more in my case
mike
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by geckonz08
not to diverge from the thread but welcome from another OLDS STARVED member from down under.For smaller parts such as a carb , you should check out freight ex states .It is almost cheaper to send to oz or new zealand than to ship from state to state in USA.
ps --these guys here know as much about olds as we would about holdens down under --more in my case
mike
That's one reason we are here then.
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:03 AM

I had a slight problem with my holley on a 67 Toro engine.
The bottom of the throttle arm would hit the manifold.

It didn't take much to re-bend the arm to clear.
Although the return spring was a bit askew from center...nott a big deal really.

How many miles are on it? If it's too high a cam swap may not be too wise.
Old June 11th, 2008, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rallye469

How many miles are on it? If it's too high a cam swap may not be too wise.
around 78000. What type of holley was it & did you have to fit a adapter or modify the original manifold to fit the carburetor? Am I able to change to a aftermarket intake or am i restricted on account of hood clearance?

thanks
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Just the facts...

the hood clearance issue will preclude you from using a different intake. that is why only the toronado's used the "sunken" intake.

you may also want to check out www.sparkyscarbs.com
he is also a major toronado guy.

bill