Mufflers and x pipe

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Mufflers and x pipe

Hi Guys,

I know this has been covered a million times but I wanted a personal touch to the discussion.

So as many of you know I have a freshly built '68 442 400. Roller rockers, cam, forged .030 pistons, stock ex manifolds etc. I bought a Pypes Street Pro x pipe and muffler set up. After putting a few hundred miles on it, I'm thinking it is a bit too loud. Man that hurts to say! When did I enter old fart-dom? They also have a drone to them.
I had stock mufflers on it before the build and always thought it was way to quiet for a muscle car. I have seen many posts on Turbo mufflers. Does this sound like where I need to go? I have a set of Walker turbos on a Corvair that I love (I know, different animal) I believe Dynomax bought Walker a few years back. I'm also noticing a flutter sound with it. I have seen where an x-pipe can cause that. What are your experiences with turbo mufflers and what brand is recommended? Again sorry for the repeat!

Thanks!

Craig
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:01 AM

I've used dynomax on several vehicles, nice throaty sound. I put borlas on my 70, louder than turbo mufflers as they are flow through but less drone than flowmasters.
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:05 AM

I have Harthrob on mine sounds nice just dont look stock
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Engine Builder

Originally Posted by 442craig
Hi Guys,

I believe Dynomax bought Walker a few years back.

Thanks!

Craig
About 30 yrs ago. LOL

The X pipe changes the way every thing sounds. Personally I like the ORIGINAL "50 Series" Flow Masters with tail pipes all the way out the back. They sound great at low rpm around town and can sound off if you want them to. But when your humping down the high way they grow really quiet.
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:58 AM

Thanks guys! I am wondering if I should pull the x pipe out. The thing sounds like a delivery truck.
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Pick up a set of Dynomax Super Turbo's or even the Summit Turbo mufflers. Very quiet inside and more potent sounding outside. Keep the X till you try the new mufflers.
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:28 PM

Use the Dynomax long case Super Turbos and either an X or H pipe. The X will enhance upper rpm power, the H will have a more positive effect on lower rpm power at the expense of the upper range.
Old August 14th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442craig
I know this has been covered a million times
And a million times, the answer has been Walker Dynomax Turbos...
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:26 PM

I just installed a 2 1/4" system front to back with Dynomax Super turbos that I picked up for $150 ! I love it ,sounds awesome at idle and when you get on it ,it makes a nice growl .It came with an H pipe installed to. It's not too loud or droning at 50-60 mph.I would go with them .FWIW the fella i got the system from installed a 2 1/2" Pypes system and thinks maybe it's too loud.Probably going back to Dynomax.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...42-update.html

Last edited by 61reoldsman; August 14th, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:04 PM

Any fiberglass packed muffler will work just fine to keep the drone down. I had a Bassani chambered system on my Lightning and felt the same way...I just put cats on it and then a Magnaflow muffler, barely noticed it was running until ya stepped on it.
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:43 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like Dynomax mufflers are the consensus! Wheels and mufflers are a very personal choice and are hard to guess about. Maybe the muffler shop will accommodate me by trying a few out!

Thanks again!

Craig
Old August 18th, 2014, 09:05 AM

I am another fan of the Dynomax Super Turbos. I have the long case versions on my '65 and think it sounds perfect. It has a nice DEEP rumble at idle that is much quieter than the Pypes Street Pros I had on my '68. They will still bark a bit when you go WOT but are pleasant the rest of the time when you want them to have a little more manners.

I previously had a set of 40 series Flowmasters and holy hell they were annoying. Drone city even with pipes out the back. I also don't care for the X-pipe sound. Sounds too European for my taste.
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
I am another fan of the Dynomax Super Turbos. I have the long case versions on my '65 and think it sounds perfect. It has a nice DEEP rumble at idle that is much quieter than the Pypes Street Pros I had on my '68. They will still bark a bit when you go WOT but are pleasant the rest of the time when you want them to have a little more manners.

I previously had a set of 40 series Flowmasters and holy hell they were annoying. Drone city even with pipes out the back. I also don't care for the X-pipe sound. Sounds too European for my taste.
Pypes race pros 18" (packed) case are in between both and are perfect for me to date. Quieter than the street pros. I have been through a lot of mufflers! Hate the x. Had one. Running an H now.
Old September 1st, 2014, 01:13 PM

Well,

I finally broke down and had a set of Dynomax Super Turbo's put on. I aced the X pipe and had a H pipe installed. The pipes tuck up a lot better and it is a bit quieter (just right). So that being said, anyone in the market for a slightly used Pypes X pipe and 2 Street mufflers?

Thanks again for the input, as usual you were spot on!

Craig