Mechanical Water Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Mechanical Water Temp Gauge

I am trying to install a water temp gauge in my 61 394 and there appears to only be one spot to put it. I would like to keep the original temp sensor in. Has anyone got any ideas? I don't want it to look stupid. They must make a "T" fitting that allows you to do this.

Thanks
Pat
61 Olds 2dr sedan
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Doesen't it use just regular pipe threads? If so, you should be able to buy a T and make it work.May stick out to far, and be in the way off something, or look funny?
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Regular 3/4 pipe thread. I can find pipe fittings that will work but the look Mickey Mouse. The instructions on the Summit gauges show an adapter but I can't find one.
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by KQQLCAT
I am trying to install a water temp gauge in my 61 394 and there appears to only be one spot to put it. I would like to keep the original temp sensor in. Has anyone got any ideas? I don't want it to look stupid. They must make a "T" fitting that allows you to do this.

Thanks
Pat
61 Olds 2dr sedan
A "T" fitting will NOT work. Unlike an oil pressure sender, the temp sender must be in the flowing coolant. A "T" fitting will be stagnation point and will not be representative of the actual coolant temperature.
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Past Administrator

Would there be some un-used bungs in the front water crossover that he could use? I am not familiar with the 394 manifold but can remember that there are some on 455s depending on how many additional "valves and/or sensors" are or are not used.
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM

there is a petcock on the right hand side of the block. You might be able to adapt something to that hole.
Old November 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I suggest you install the new coolant temp sensor in the spot where your old one is at. If you want to keep the functionality of your HOT / COLD dummy light then all you have to do is go to Radio Shak and get a simple logic circuit. You would need a circuit to apply ground or 12V (whichever was switched by your old sensor) to your original temperature lights based on the voltage of the new coolant temp sensor. It sounds complicated but you should be able to find something like that at Radio Shak or on the internet.
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I suggest you install the new coolant temp sensor in the spot where your old one is at. If you want to keep the functionality of your HOT / COLD dummy light then all you have to do is go to Radio Shak and get a simple logic circuit. You would need a circuit to apply ground or 12V (whichever was switched by your old sensor) to your original temperature lights based on the voltage of the new coolant temp sensor. It sounds complicated but you should be able to find something like that at Radio Shak or on the internet.
Go back and read the title of this thread. The aftermarket temp gauge is a MECHANICAL gauge, not an electric one. Not gonna find a lot of help at Radio Shack...