Leaky drain plug in Moroso oil pan

Search this Thread

Old November 10th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Blownfuel

Smile

Originally Posted by Olds64
Well, I checked the pan this afternoon after work and it had leaked some. There is a washer between the drain plug bolt and the pan. The pan came with a nylon washer; however, I received a box of replacement copper washers when the first oil pan I had leaked out of the drain plug. The pan I currently have leaks with the nylon washer AND the copper washer (just like the first one I had).

I guess I will return this one and order the Milodon pan. I would have thought that the quality would be better from Moroso. I have always got top notch stuff before when ordering from Summit.

I'm kind of confused what you meant here, you didn't use a copper washer and a nylon washer at the same time, did you? I'm also of the camp that you should have just put some Teflon tape on the threads (although I do agree your NEW pans shouldn't have leaked twice). The stock washer seal has never been all that good of a solution to me, I've seen and owned many stockers that leaked as well. The straight cut threads will not seal on their own, but Teflon tapeing them "should" have prevented the oil from ever reaching the bolt head to pan sealing surface, solving the problem. I have a Moroso pan on my Corvette (the 7 qt. low profile one Summit sell's as a kit: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku ) and it also seaped a little so I taped it. Problem solved. Hope your Milodon performs up to your expectations.

Ps: Speedway's website is a little thin (or maybe just hard to use), order the street rod and Circle Track catalogs (their free) and you'll have better luck!

Old November 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM

you didn't use a copper washer and a nylon washer at the same time, did you?
No. I thought that someone might read my sentence that way. Sorry, I am not very good with words.

you should have just put some Teflon tape on the threads
I guess I could have, but I don't want a subpar oil pan. My stock oil pan that is 40+ years old leaks slower than either Moroso pan I had and I don't ever use teflon tape on it.
Old November 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Blownfuel

I understand your feelings exactly, but having worked in the high performace and Corvette Restoration Field for 30+ years, I gotta say that MOST aftermarket stuff doesn't fit or work the way it's supposed too! It's just a fact of life. I've lost count of the number of manufactures whose brand new parts required modifications to install! Sometimes just minor fitting (No big deal), but sometimes MAJOR redesigning! As far as oil pans go, like I said before, I think the washers are an imperfect solution to the problem, Teflon washers are the worse (almost no ability to make up for uneven surfaces), solid copper washes are second best (softer, but still limited in how much crush they'll allow), and the hollow, tube shaped coper washers are the best (Mercedes use this style in some of their applications)!

Old November 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM

I will keep everyone posted about the Milodon pan. I hope to get them sometime next week.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Exclamation

GM dealers sell a drain plug washer with a molded O-ring.

Works PERFECTLY.

About $1.60
Old February 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Note the age of the thread before you post a reply. Just a hint not being critical.
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM

FWIW, I did get the Milodon pan and it didn't leak. I have had it on the engine for some time and there hasn't been one drop yet.