Help! Engine keeps cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2016, 12:04 PM

Help! Engine keeps cutting out.

Hi Guys, I have a problem with my 73 Delta 88. I started it up and left it running to warm up then I noticed the engine had stopped running. I started it again and it will only run for a minute or two then it stops. There is no sputtering or anything it just shuts off. When I took it out I was driving down the road and realized the engine wasn't running. I was coasting. It shut off five times. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks.
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:18 PM

Engine cutting out

Mine keeps cutting out too. It will start but cuts out after a minute or two. Do you think its the accelerator pump on mine? I didn't know there was one mine is a 73.
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

I merged your two identical questions. Typically you will get better information if you keep all responses in a single thread, so all can see and correct potential misinformation. Also, dredging up a three year old thread probably isn't your best option.

What is your engine and carb? What is the state of tune?
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:59 PM

The problem will be fuel or ignition related. If it is not sputtering before it dies it could be ignition. Electrical gremlins can be a pain to diagnose so more info will be needed. What type of ignition system do you have? Points or HEI? What is the maintenance history of the vehicle? When was the last tune-up performed?

Fuel related issues can be just as much fun to diagnose. Fuel filter and fuel pump are usually the culprits on this side of the equation. And again, the maintenance history would help with suggestions for troubleshooting.

Hoist.gifHoist.gifHoist.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Hoist.gif (36.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: gif
Hoist.gif (36.9 KB, 0 views)
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:18 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Trouble shooting is a systematic order of pin pointing the root cause of the problem going at the easy stuff first.
Most likely there are two systems to look at here; fuel and ignition.
Has anything been done recently? Has the car sat for a long period etc...If you can give us as much history as possible that helps as well, eg. mileage, service history etc...

Fuel sys:
1. The fuel pressure needs to be read. Could be a bad pump?
2. Look for any leaks in the rubber and steel fuel lines from above the tank, along the frame to the carb.
3. What about the fuel filter? Has it been changed? If not that is a simple fix. Careful with he threads on the filter fitting at the carb. You can damage the carb quickly and pay attention to the direction it was removed. It is directional.
4. The carb may need a rebuild if its never been? We can suggest vendor's that provide this service if needed.
5. Choke setting should be verified.
6. The carb could be lose on the intake? Dont just tighten it. It can be damaged by aggressive tightening. Thus just snug it gently if its lose. Of course if it was lose it likely needs a new base gasket.

Ignition:
1. Ever been serviced? If not it may need plugs, wires, point set, Cap and rotor. Always purchase high qual non-chinese parts. Standard ignition products are generally higher quality. The corvette market sells the better ignition parts and so does Jegs and Summit.
2. Read the spark plugs. Pull a few and look at them. Black=rich, White = lean, Brownish = good.
3 Verify the timing and dwell is set where it should be.
If you dont already have literature on the car nows a good time to get some. Get the Chiltons and motors manuals. Get the fisher body manual and the factory assembly manuals. The Haynes manuals available online and at parts stores is a good easy to understand cliff note style.

If I was to guess with the limited info you provided I would start with the fuel system.

If all of this is more than you want to tackle look for a good old school mechanic in your area. Also look into a local OCA member in your area for guidance. Join OCA isnt a bad idea either.

Last edited by droldsmorland; February 14th, 2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Administrator

First is verify there is fuel in the carb the next time it stalls. You can do this by operating the throttle while looking down into the throat and seeing 2 solid streams of fuel. If you have fuel then its time to look at your ignition. Do you have a points style distributor?