HELP! 1971 442 455 engine placement

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM

HELP! 1971 442 455 engine placement

Hello all, Im going to give a little background on what I have done because something in the past may effecting where i am now.

I blew the 455 that was in my 1971 442, it was not the original motor so I sold it and bought a rebuilt one from S&J engines. The new motor I bought is a 455 Fa block.

I am doing a 4spd conversion and learned the Fa block does not have a provision for the z bar stud. I found someone who was able to make a bracket with a stud welded to it and it lines up perfectly to where the provision would be.

I had a cheap set of headers on my old engine that fit well (except by the proportioning valve) , I am using them again.

I bought new motor mounts because my old ones were beaten up.

My motor and transmission is in, but the engine seems to be too far over towards the drivers side. The headers hit the steering column and the zbar does not have enough room to pivot. I originally thought it was the motor mounts, but purchasing a second set from someone else showed they are the same (unless i bought the same mounts again).

I used shims and washers to try and push the drivers side of the motor up. It worked until the car was lowered to the ground.

I don't feel good about using the washers and shims, and denting the headers to make everything fit is going to effect the cars performance and is simply should not have to be done.

I do not know what to do from this point, maybe someone here has already had this problem? Any input would be helpful. Thanks in advance -Travis
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:00 PM

First, check this thread by Joe to confirm you have the correct motor mounts matched to the correct metal engine perches that bolt to the crossmember. That would be my first guess and the easiest thing to resolve if it is the problem.

P.S. Be sure to scroll down in the thread to view photos of the engine perches. If someone had changed those before you got the car it could be the problem.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-list.html

John
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM

If the headers are hitting the steering column take them off and drop the motor back in, the headers sound like the problem.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

If your 71 has the stock frame mounts, you must use Anchor P/N 2328 motor mounts. You will NOT need any shims, washers, or anything else. Headers can be all over the map on fitment, expecially as far as clearing the Z-bar.
Old July 5th, 2013, 10:28 AM
72 Olds CS

You don't say what the original engine was in the car. If it was a 455 then 2328 mounts....if it was a small block. Then anchor 2261 is what you need.
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
You don't say what the original engine was in the car.

Yes he did. It's a 1971 442. The only available engine was a 455. The factory frame mounts require 2328s, as I posted above.
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM
1971 442 conv

Old July 5th, 2013, 03:08 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes he did. It's a 1971 442. The only available engine was a 455. The factory frame mounts require 2328s, as I posted above.
Lol joe I read that as well, my thinking is if the OP is unfamiliar w the engine mounts, he may also be unfamiliar w Olds and may have a tribute car....can't assume to much so i added my reply to cover the bases
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
Lol joe I read that as well, my thinking is if the OP is unfamiliar w the engine mounts, he may also be unfamiliar w Olds and may have a tribute car....can't assume to much so i added my reply to cover the bases
I am not unfamiliar with olds anymore. This car is my first car and ive had it for a little over two years. Ive learned a lot over that time. Its definitely not a tribute, "34487" vin. Here on the island we know a guy that you just ask for the part and he either has it or orders it. Very knowledgeable man but we have gotten the wrong part a few times.

I am going to look further into the motor mounts, im starting to lean heavily on the fact that the headers may be the issue, but they fit well on the old motor. Perhaps both are the issue. Whatever it is, hopefully its resolved soon and not when the summer ends.
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by TWP442
I am not unfamiliar with olds anymore. This car is my first car and ive had it for a little over two years. Ive learned a lot over that time. Its definitely not a tribute, "34487" vin. Here on the island we know a guy that you just ask for the part and he either has it or orders it. Very knowledgeable man but we have gotten the wrong part a few times.

I am going to look further into the motor mounts, im starting to lean heavily on the fact that the headers may be the issue, but they fit well on the old motor. Perhaps both are the issue. Whatever it is, hopefully its resolved soon and not when the summer ends.
You said the 455 you blew up wasn't the original motor. Who knows what the owners before you may have done to the car. I'd encourage you to check the mount pads with the photos above to confirm which rubber mounts you should install. Once that step is done if it still doesn't fit then move on to other things to check.

John
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

All big block Olds motors are externally identical. If the old motor was a 455 and the new motor is a 455, header fitment should be exactly the same. If the old motor was NOT a BBO, and you have small block headers, that is a problem.
Old July 7th, 2013, 04:59 PM

I just installed the proper mounts today, however the engine is still low on the drivers side and high on the passenger side. Somehow I have to shift the engine.
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TWP442
I just installed the proper mounts today, however the engine is still low on the drivers side and high on the passenger side. Somehow I have to shift the engine.
The engine was not tilted from the factory, so something is wrong or mismatched. Are both frame mounts the same? Are you measuring this tilt from some reference point on the block or just based on header fitment?
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The engine was not tilted from the factory, so something is wrong or mismatched. Are both frame mounts the same? Are you measuring this tilt from some reference point on the block or just based on header fitment?
All of the mounts are definitely correct, unless the mounts are specific to each side. From underneath looking at where both mounts meet, the frame side mounts have oblonged holes. looking forward, the drivers side mount is in the lower part of the oblong while the passenger side is all the way up.
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't suppose there is any chance of getting some pictures of this situation?

- Eric