Fuel pump Qs

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:23 PM

Fuel pump Qs

The fuel pump on my 60 98 394 is acting up.

Anyone know why it would be leaking oil out what looks to be a small vent hole in the pump body, above the bottom diaphragm? There's a square recess in the body facing the right side of the car, and what looks like a vent hole in the back left corner.

I took the pump out this morning to clean it and see what was wrong -- both diaphragms look fine. After I re-installed it, the car started and ran fine for a little while but soon stalled and would only start and stay running with the choke closed. It seems like there's no fuel in the carb body -- the accelerator pump doesn't squirt gas when you open the butterflies.

I pulled the top fuel line connection and cranked the engine -- got some fuel but not what I'd call a lot and not a steady stream. Is this normal?

Could I have installed the pump with the lever in the wrong position? Is the end of the arm supposed to go above or below the eccentric in the case? I made sure the ignition rotor was pointed toward the rear of the car when I pulled the pump, as instructed by the previous owner.

Service manual is on the way, so fewer questions soon.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve