Fuel pump 59 371

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2022 | 08:33 AM
Kbs

Fuel pump 59 371

This is a 59 olds 371 wedged into a 1934 Ford. The fuel pump on the car is weak so added an electric fuel pump to basically move fuel from the tank to the pump (fill the glass bowl). The fuel bowl is now leaking when the electric pump is operating.
I am guessing that the bowl is sucking air and that is why the car quits after driving it a while. I dont use any of the vacuum from the pump (windshield wipers will be going electricj. Is there any replacement fuel pumps i can use to eliminate the glass bowl version ? Does it make sense to remove the mechanical and just use the electric.(electic Making 5-9 psi) ? If yes, where can i find.a plate to cover the opening? Buy a new fuel pump with glass bowl ? Thanks for any advice this forum has saved me countless times.
Old March 1st, 2022 | 09:48 AM

Don't use an electric fuel pump in-line with a mechanical one. The mechanical pump may degrade and start pumping fuel into the crank case. It happened to me.

Just use the electric if you can't find a good rebuilt mechanical fuel pump. Have you checked Kanter?

Kanter
Old March 1st, 2022 | 09:43 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Kbs
Does it make sense to remove the mechanical and just use the electric.(electic Making 5-9 psi) ? If yes, where can i find.a plate to cover the opening?.
Yes, it does make sense.
Here is a block off plate that will probably work. Check you bolt spacing, it should be 1 & 3/4 in.
Mr Gasket 1516 Fuel Pump Block Off Plate, BBC, Chrome (speedwaymotors.com)
It's also a good idea to wire the pump thru an oil pressure switch.
This will shut off power to the fuel pump if the engine stops suddenly in an accident.
Old March 2nd, 2022 | 08:33 AM
Kbs

Thank you another question

Thanks for the advise, i hadnt thought about the “fueling my oil pan” issue “YIKES”
i have found a few rebuilt ,mechanical pumps, however if i install the same pump, what do i do with the vacuum lines? Plug them or leave them open ? Letting them breath seems like the right idea but worried about the dirt that will enter pump.
Old March 2nd, 2022 | 08:43 AM

Don't leave the vacuum ports on the pump open. If you don't need the vacuum then plug the ports.

As I recall, the mechanical fuel pump on my 64 98 didn't have any vacuum ports on it.
Old March 2nd, 2022 | 08:51 AM
Kbs

The 59 olds i think used vacuum from the fuel pump to drive the wipers and various functions related to heat and ac? Its a double acting pump.
Old March 2nd, 2022 | 12:29 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Kbs
Thanks for the advise, i hadnt thought about the “fueling my oil pan” issue “YIKES”
i have found a few rebuilt ,mechanical pumps, however if i install the same pump, what do i do with the vacuum lines? Plug them or leave them open ? Letting them breath seems like the right idea but worried about the dirt that will enter pump.
It's a lot easier to just remove the pump and block off the hole.
The electric pump will supply fuel just fine.
Old March 2nd, 2022 | 01:53 PM
Administrator

You want to keep the fuel pressure to around 6 psi or you will have float issues. Why not just rebuild your mechanical pump?
Old March 3rd, 2022 | 05:26 PM

Or just buy a pump off a 394 that has no vacuum pump, they do fit, eliminate the need of the plate and are cheap. The vacuum on the 371 pump has nothing to do with manifold vacuum and can be left open or not, it will make no difference in the way the engine runs plus electric wipers are the way to go anyway..... Tedd

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; March 3rd, 2022 at 05:29 PM.