Errors with timing chain and balancer

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2021, 05:21 PM

Errors with timing chain and balancer

Whoever it was n this forum that said "double check everything" was spot on. Couldn't get the my custom cam to degree properly...off by 13 degrees. Cam supplier suggested that either the dowel in his core was off (hat's off to him for not getting defensive) or the timing gear was mismarked. Indeed when I moved the timing gear one full tooth, the cam degreed perfectly. So I "moved" the DOT on the cam timing gear. Still don't know which was wrong...the mark on the timing gear or the locaiton of the dowel in the cam core.

Next problem: I discover timing mark on harmonic balancer is waaaayyyyy off. To the tune of about 150 degrees. I had it rebuilt by Damper Doctor and someone musta been hungover that day. Since the engine was balanced with this balancer, I don't want to sent the balancer back and have them tinker around with it. I think I'll fill in the timing groove with JB Weld and cut a new timing groove and the engine paint should cover it.

Well at least I've got time for these pesky detours since roller lifters appear to be unobtainable for a few months. Got same story from Topline-Hylift and Morel...several months out.
Old June 29th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Glad you caught it. The timing chain and cam is one thing, it happens. What brand is it, probably the issue. The balancer being off is unexpected especially with it being a rebuilt stock unit. No surprise on the lifters, everything is still behind, good luck.
Old June 29th, 2021, 05:37 PM

Thanks for posting. Another example of why you need to verify the timing events and not just "align the dots" and expect things to be perfect.
Old June 29th, 2021, 06:35 PM

Timing chain is a Cloyes with 9 way crank gear. Before i called the cam grinder, i bought a cheapo timing set to double, double check and got wierd readings with it too. So i suspect it’s the cam core has the dowel in wrong spot.

As mentioned, the cam guy had great attitude and didn’t try to deny or defend that it was possible a cam core could be off in this day and age. He offered to take the cam back but advised that Olds roller cores are back ordered and might be weeks before he could replace the cam. We agreed that if i couldn’t degree it using the 9 way gear and maybe a whole tooth shift, that i would return it. But turns out it was as simple as jumping one tooth.

Old June 29th, 2021, 06:40 PM

Speaking of simply “lining up the dots” and calling it a day…

I can’t imagine the endless frustration a poor soul would have unknowingly trying to fire up an engine that the timing chain was one tooth off AND the timing mark on the balancer off by >100 degrees.
Old June 29th, 2021, 07:12 PM

Changed cam gears and chain a couple m ok months ago and installed at the 6 advance marks to end up 2 advanced when checked with tools.
Old June 29th, 2021, 07:22 PM

Glad you got to the bottom of it.
Outer ring on the balancer doesn’t effect balance unless they’ve drilled on it. Balance weight is cast into the hub for that reason.
Velcro says he has Morel Olds rollers in stock. Hit him up for a set or I have some Comps in stock.