Engine Stands

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Engine Stands

Hey all.
I am going to be pulling my engine out of the car in the next couple months and redoing all the gaskets painting etc. I am wondering if a 1000lb engine stand adequate for the weight of a 455 ??
________
California Dispensaries

Last edited by Axeni; August 12th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:11 PM

were are you located
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Yes, 1000 lb.s is fine weight wise

However, most people don't care for the 3 leg stands. The 4 are much more stable. My 4 leg stand also has a removable tray to catch gunk when it falls off the engine
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:20 PM

Awesome
Thanks for the quick responses. I live in Kitchener Ontario Canada.
So I have nothing better to do other then save a few dollaars and rip the motor out after X-mas.
________
Web shows

Last edited by Axeni; August 12th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old November 27th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Axeni
Awesome
Thanks for the quick responses. I live in Kitchener Ontario Canada.
So I have nothing better to do other then save a few dollaars and rip the motor out after X-mas.

NAPA has a good 1000 lbs. Stand. I know 'cause I'm useing one of theirs' right now. When you get your engine on the stand and you want to rotate the Engine and it still has the Heads on it, get another Body so the engine won't through you across the room when it Rotates!!!
Old November 28th, 2010, 07:12 AM

I bought the 1000 lbs stand from harbor freight didn't like it took it back and got the foldable 2000lbs stand o feel way more comfortable with this one. It has 5 wheels the legs go outward do it much more stable. I got it for a 455 as well.
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Texas Jim

I can't agree w/ you guys more when you say that the 4-wheel stands are better, I've had afew of each, 3 and 4 wheel, and the difference is evident. BUT, let's face it, the regular 700lb. stand is usable, and NOT dangerous. I've had BB Chevys on my smaller stands and never had an issue. When turning the engine to get the bottom end up, w/ the heads on the block, you MUST be smooth and slow no matter what stand you have. Fact is, you're flipping alot of weight there and it's an awkward(sp?) condensed package. So, word to the wise, becareful when rotating ANY engine when it's on ANY stand. I have, what I would call, a pretty good engine stand, 3-wheel/700lb. cap., holding my 455ci Olds right now. It's sitting here next to me. I've rotated the engine w/ and w/o the heads on it several times, and have had no problems. The stand is just fine and supports the weight w/o a problem. In fact, right now, I have the flywheel, starter, pulleys, and even the oil filter on it, along w/ the heads, and the stand isn't leaning to the front or swaying when moved at all. As mechanics, we should always be careful, even when turning wrenches, as to not get "knucklebusters." Turning our own wrenches is a hazardous doing, and there are dangers involved. Taking on these projects, we need to be ready and stay on our toes from the start inorder to prevent disaster. The time to "be careful" is NOW, prior to starting the project, and not wait until an accident occurs to become aware and careful. When going to buy an engine stand, look at the design, check the welds, see that there are diagonals used to support the verticals w/ the horizontals. Good common sense comes into play when shopping f/ a stand. MY MAIN POINT: Most good stands, even the three wheel 700lb.cap. models, and I say MOST, but NOT ALL, are safe and usable f/ our 455ci Olds engines. Like was mentioned in this topic, one of the 4-wheel stands had an oil/crud catcher underneath, which is great IMO, and there will be some options you get on some and not w/ others, but all in all, w/ good common sense when shopping, and taking care to be safe in your work habits, a standard engine stand will do the job just fine. Good Luck on your rebuilds. Sincerely, Jimmy.