Do crankshafts warp lying down?

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM

Question Do crankshafts warp lying down?

This is really puzzling,can it be true?If they do warp,can they be fixed?How?
Like to settle this ,thanks for any insite as to why this might be possible.Later,BO
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM

i ask my machine shop that question about 15 years ago. they laughed at me and asked me if my car had muffler barrings. they had me look out back and they had a skid of crankshafts tossed on a pallet and said they were seasoning them and after being outside for a couple months and piled up on top of each other they will be fine. he said they will bring them in and rework them but said that they don't bend from laying down.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i ask my machine shop that question about 15 years ago. they laughed at me and asked me if my car had muffler barrings. they had me look out back and they had a skid of crankshafts tossed on a pallet and said they were seasoning them and after being outside for a couple months and piled up on top of each other they will be fine. he said they will bring them in and rework them but said that they don't bend from laying down.
if one is bent, they can fix them. i had a buddy with a 302 chevy that had a slight bent crank (at least that is what his shop told him) and they fixed it.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I too find it hard to believe that a crank that can survive the stresses seen inside an engine will warp under simple gravity loads. Despite that, I still store my cranks on end.

One of the coolest crank storage system's I've ever seen was a series of racks under the workbench, where the cranks were hung from the rear flange, sort of like wine glasses.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:57 PM

Just my opinon....I state that the myth of cranks bending while stored laying down is a result of cranks being set on end then falling over. When found some assume it was because they were stored horizontal.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM

i do have a couple junk crankshafts that i want to weld together and make a mail box post out of.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

In simple terms ...........NO

Unless you heat it to 1525 degrees,Then it becomes liquid and it will be unusable
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM

OK so why do machinists hang them then? Easier to store? Take up less space? I have never seen one lie around after machining.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
OK so why do machinists hang them then? Easier to store? Take up less space? I have never seen one lie around after machining.

Just guessing but easier to store,Easier to find one with numbers on the end,And lastly you dont have to bend over as far to pick it up??
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:36 AM

One of the coolest crank storage system's I've ever seen was a series of racks under the workbench, where the cranks were hung from the rear flange, sort of like wine glasses.
I've seen this as well. As the others said cranks are stored on end to take up less space and prevent them from falling if hung on a rack.
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:12 AM

So the conclusion that laying them on their sides warps them is a myth right? I have the forged steel crank for the 455 I am building for the 48 standing on is end just in case Its to expensive to mess with

Last edited by citcapp; July 24th, 2009 at 08:14 AM.