dip stick install

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2008, 02:07 PM

dip stick install

Anybody got tips on installing the dip stick. It was not very smart of me to for get it before putting the motor back in the car. I had the exhaust manifolds on before I realized I had forgot the dip stick. I know stupid. Now I have taken the driver side exhaust back off and I have ruin a new chrome tube and tore up the old one I had trying to put it back in also. I tried lining it up and hitting a peace of wood to drive it in, channel locks holding the tube and hitting it. I even tried to use a flat screwdriver on the lower lip of the tube, and it cut into the tube. And other ideas? I tried to put a small wrench on the lower lip and hitting it, but it is to close for me to get to. thanks for any help.

relay bent out of shape.
Old July 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Did you try putting it in the freezer first?
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM

If the end is fitting into the bore, you could take a small piece of plywood or a paint stick as a buffer and lightly tap it in. I had to do that just today, worked out slicker than snot
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM

I got distracted by the kids... use a hammer to tap the dip tube in with the wood as a buffer to avoid peening or other damage
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:10 PM
442=A perfect 10

The standard dipstick should go in relatively easy following the suggestions made so far....especially the freezer option.

If you are using a chrome dipstick ( I think you mentioned that) there might be too much clearance taken up by the chrome making for an extremely tight fit. Sanding the chrome on that input end would help.

Regards,

Fred
Old July 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I got it in. I used all the advice above. One small step for man, one giant leap to getting it done.
Old July 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Also if it is to tight, I grind off just a little off thr rings thjat go into the blosk. Also put a bolt in the hole, the size of the inside pipe, and tap on it, this will help from running the tube. Also, works better with two guys, one under the car, help guide and push and watch so the tube does not bend
Old July 14th, 2008, 07:50 PM

I usually drop a bolt into the end of the dipstick tube and drive it into the block by tapping on the bolt head. It will usually only put the first of the two bulges into the block without bending the tube, but that is enough.
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM

I used a 3/8" open end wrench on the top ring and slowly taped with a small hammer on my chrome dipstick and it set in nicley.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I usually drop a bolt into the end of the dipstick tube and drive it into the block by tapping on the bolt head. It will usually only put the first of the two bulges into the block without bending the tube, but that is enough.
It's enough to get the wrong level reading, anyway...

The factory had a special tool for doing this. It was essentially a length of thick wall tubing with an inside diameter that just slipped over the OD of the dipstick tube. One side of this thickwall tube was cut away so that you could slip it over the dipstick tube sideways and bear against the formed ring on the bottom of the tube. The bends in the dipstick tube allowed this tool to project straight up, allowing you to tap the dipstick tube into place. It wouldn't be hard to make a duplicate. Tapping on the upper end of the dipstick tube, with or without a bolt, is asking for it to bend and kink. (Do NOT ask me how I know this...)