Bad day, need some oil pan info

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Bad day, need some oil pan info

My wife and I took my 70 442 our today and we hit a dip in the road coming off a bridge. We lost the front tire and knocked a hole in the oil pan. Thankfully we got it shut down before the oil ran out and it was at 30 psi when I shut it off.

I have a deep sump 7 quart Milodon pan (I think). It hangs pretty low and I have scraped it before the incident today

i am thinking about going back with a stock type pan

is there any reason that I should not use a stock capacity pan and regain some ground clearance?

also.

do I just need the pan gasket set, or do I need to do the timing cover at the same time?

i also assume if I go with a stock type pan I would need a different oil pump and pickup... Is there a pan that has its own dipstick provision?

I currently have no dipstick because because I cannot get anything to work with the longtube headers

Last edited by mattking; May 26th, 2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old May 26th, 2018, 06:17 PM

Canton 6qt only way to go imo.
Old May 27th, 2018, 05:36 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You should be able to sneak a dipstick tube between the second and third tube. Buy a cheap chrome dipstick and tube, carefully bend as necessary. I usually have to grind the end going into the block to fit into the hole and clear. The Supercars Unlimited dipstick tube and stick are very high quality and a very tight fit, unlike the chrome ones but cost more. I know Mark and others have had issues with both the Milidon and Moroso deep pans. Try either Felpro diesel oil pan gasket, rubber coated with Cork and rigid carrier or the Milidon fiber pan gaskets. If you rev up your motor, the deep pan is extra insurance.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; May 27th, 2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:44 AM

Thanks

Thanks for info guys.

Im out now getting everything pulled off the motor so I can pull it out. I’ve learned my lesson about trying to do a pan gasket with the motor in the car.

I just finished installing a vintage air system and had an appointment to get it charged this week

im going to get the canton pan ordered I think.

In thier pictures I just see a relief in the top of then pan rail for a dipstick, but thier website keeps referring to a 1/4” npt fitting for a separate dipstick. I’m going to call them Tuesday to confirm. And if so use thier flexible dipstick (looks like a lokar in the pictures)

thanks again
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:56 AM

Must've been some dip to do all that damage! Car looks bitchin', love the dark blue with the factory stripe, nice combo with the wheels. One of the nicest 442's I've ever seen.
Old May 27th, 2018, 08:22 AM

Hey thanks. Makes me feel better for sure. It was a vinyl top car and had a little rust under the top. We pulled the top at home and de-glued everything then a local restoration shop color matched the roof and rear quarters to the rest of the car. They had a time dealing with the laquer paint that’s on the rest of the car but they did a bang up job getting it looking good
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Rocket Renegade!

How do you drive your car? Are you subjecting it to some kind of abuse that would necessitate the use of a deep-sump pan? If not, just go back to a factory pan and you won't have to worry every time you approach a speed bump.
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:53 PM

I've had the same problem. Canton's stuff is nice, and they charge appropriately.

IMO a stock style pan is generally fine. You only need the pan gasket and a pickup appropriate for the pan. Your oil pump will take either a bolt-on or press-on pickup - just buy the correct style stock replacement.

No off-the-shelf Olds pan has a dipstick in it.

The fancy way to solve the dipstick problem is to get the Lokar LS dipstick. Grind down one side of the lower end to clear the block, might need to cut an inch or so off the bottom, and it'll slip right in. You have to trim the overall hose length to get the bottom of the dipstick to the right place. It's just a teflon braided hose, so it's quick and easy on a bench with a stock dipstick next to it.
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:49 PM

I don’t think I drive it any harder than anyone else does really. Out of driving around for an hour I only ever really get into it two or three times

I guess I’ve read stories and heard everyone talk about olds motors having oil starvation issues. As I don’t want to pay for a rebuild I try to be fairly cautious and I pay attention to my gauge. I have heard that high volume oil pumps can make the oil issues worse from pumping all the oil up to the top end and letting the sump get dry. I didn’t build the motor in my car so I don’t know what pump is in it. I know it doesn’t have and oil restrictors that I have seen in the valley or any thing like that.

Im hopefully going to finish getting the motor out tomorrow morning before it gets hot and I’d like to measure the depth of my current pan and compare it to the specs on the canton pan

I’m also curious to see how the current pan failed. I think the corners are welded and it split open.

I like the idea of fancy pans, but I like the size and clearance of the stock one. I’d really like to not have to drain the oil to check it. Currently it gets drained into a clear bucket marked in quarts with a sharpie
then poured back in.
Old May 27th, 2018, 02:33 PM

The Canton pan isn’t a whole lot deeper than a stock one, certainly less than a Moroso or Milodon. Plus the Canton has trap doors to hold the oil in the center and seems to be a bit heavier construction. I’m batting a 1000 with the Cantons so far. Can’t say that for the other two.
Old May 28th, 2018, 05:23 AM

Thumbs up OIl pan Drippin

If you are removing the engine from the car to r/r the oil pan i would sure as heck replace the oil pump.You can use a high pressure pump it will give you more psi but not starve the pan. The oil pump to an engine is like your heart is to you. It keeps you moving. Beast of Luck.
Old May 30th, 2018, 08:59 AM

I got the motor out last night, and have all the parts ordered. I went with the canton pan, and their pickup, and the high volume pump they recommend. I called Lokar and ordered the flexible dipstick that they recommend.

Ive got a new tire on the way too.

thanks for all the help
Old May 30th, 2018, 10:53 AM

Good to hear you'll be able to fix the damage. I have a Milodon pan on my 455 and scrape it from time to time. Luckily, I've never clobbered it.