Advice on possible purchase.

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2019, 01:27 PM

Advice on possible purchase.

I'm eyeing up this block I found on Craigslist and I want to know what you guys think before I pull the trigger on it.
it's a 455 block that appears partially built with rather crusty Mondello ported C heads.
Guy says it won't turn over which doesn't entirely scare me because I want a 455 block to build a 425 into.
Should I be weary of this, and do those heads look like they are salvageable?

https://york.craigslist.org/pts/d/wi...029476309.html

Last edited by Olds64; December 3rd, 2019 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Fix
Old December 2nd, 2019, 01:48 PM

Your link is not active but I did look at it, the heads I would think are desirable, don't know the level of porting that was done though. If seller is honest probably just some stuck/rusty rings or could have a problem with assembly on the stand, who knows. Everything is a gamble. Bought a running engine, 455 that was said to have a leak at the freeze/core plug. They do commonly leak after time and rust. Turns out there were cracks in the block there.... found under magna fluxing...
Old December 2nd, 2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Everything is a gamble. Bought a running engine, 455 that was said to have a leak at the freeze/core plug. They do commonly leak after time and rust. Turns out there were cracks in the block there.... found under magna fluxing...
Oh God, that's why I'm kind of afraid of buying a mostly built engine. The ported c code heads seem cool, but I don't know if it's worth driving all the way to York county for to find a hot mess.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 02:25 PM

Life and engines are a gamble. I would ask why he stopped building and how long. It might be a fair deal.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Life and engines are a gamble. I would ask why he stopped building and how long. It might be a fair deal.
He he told me that he's selling it for a friends family, because his friend passed away. Apparently he started building it to put in a trans am but changed his mind and decided to go back to a Pontiac motor.

Really can't find out anything else about it. It's kind of like the car I'm trying to put a motor in. Same story. Rebuilding some other dude's hotrod.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by heavenfaced
He he told me that he's selling it for a friends family, because his friend passed away. Apparently he started building it to put in a trans am but changed his mind and decided to go back to a Pontiac motor.
Really can't find out anything else about it. It's kind of like the car I'm trying to put a motor in. Same story. Rebuilding some other dude's hotrod.
Make sure there is no water in the block. I'd try waving $100 bills to see if you can get it for $500. You can see heads, rockers and block. You have no idea what size the bore is, or what pistons are in it. I would shake the dice and go for it.
......Just my two cents worth. Good luck !

Old December 2nd, 2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Make sure there is no water in the block. I'd try waving $100 bills to see if you can get it for $500. You can see heads, rockers and block. You have no idea what size the bore is, or what pistons are in it. I would shake the dice and go for it.
......Just my two cents worth. Good luck !
My my thoughts exactly, he said if I'm serious I can tear into it a little bit, take the heads off. I definitely might do that. Worst case scenario I'll see if he can at least sell me just a heads.I know if I do the 425 build there's going to be a lot of parts that are going to be spares. But that's okay. I'm sure I'll have future projects.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 03:14 PM

My my thoughts exactly, he said if I'm serious I can tear into it a little bit, take the heads off. I definitely might do that. Worst case scenario I'll see if he can at least sell me just a heads.I know if I do the 425 build there's going to be a lot of parts that are going to be spares. But that's okay. I'm sure I'll have future projects.
I would pull one head to check for a fresh cross hatch (hone pattern) and look for piston numbers to figure out if they are cast or forged pistons, also what dish they have. If they are O.S. they could have +.030 or .060 stamped on them. I would gamble on the whole package !
Old December 3rd, 2019, 04:58 AM

From looking at the pictures it does not appear to have been ever run since the build started so I would not be too concerned with the block being cracked from water freezing. I think its a pretty good deal. The rockers alone are a couple of hundred bucks. I dont see how you can go wrong personally.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:35 AM

I fixed your link.

I wouldn't look at it. If the engine doesn't rotate with a wrench that's bad news. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BillK
From looking at the pictures it does not appear to have been ever run since the build started so I would not be too concerned with the block being cracked from water freezing. I think its a pretty good deal. The rockers alone are a couple of hundred bucks. I dont see how you can go wrong personally.
Right, between the rockers the ported heads and a couple other odds and ends even if the block is iffy (which I doubt it is) it still sounds like a good deal just for parts.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:23 AM

Right, between the rockers the ported heads and a couple other odds and ends even if the block is iffy (which I doubt it is) it still sounds like a good deal just for parts.
I think its a fair deal at $500 or $600. You're not gonna get hurt. I wonder if they are using a "rope" for the rear seal, that could be the problem.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; December 3rd, 2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:27 PM

It appears to have arp head bolts also so that good. You can also rotate the engine on the stand and look at the cylinders. If they didn’t clean out the ring lands on the pistons before assembly that could keep it from turning over. Look and see if they stamped the main caps, if they didn’t put them back in the original order they could be binding also.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 09:50 PM

Guy was nice enough to take heads off to take some pics fore me before I go up there. He said he actually got the crank to spin with the help of some penetrating fluid, though not much.

Bores look nice I think. He says She was bored .30 over before the build started.

Old December 4th, 2019, 03:55 AM

For 600 bucks, I’d roll the dice on it. Obviously, try to talk him down, but I think I would be a good deal. Does he have any receipts for the machine work, or could he tell you who did the work?
Old December 4th, 2019, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
For 600 bucks, I’d roll the dice on it. Obviously, try to talk him down, but I think I would be a good deal. Does he have any receipts for the machine work, or could he tell you who did the work?
I I doubt it, like I said he's selling it for a deceased friend he doesn't seem to know a whole lot about it. it's a gamble but I think I'm going to go ahead and take it.
Old December 4th, 2019, 07:07 AM

I I doubt it, like I said he's selling it for a deceased friend he doesn't seem to know a whole lot about it. it's a gamble but I think I'm going to go ahead and take it.
Its a gamble with very little risk. Jump on it, you'll regret it if it gets away from you.
Old December 4th, 2019, 10:19 AM

I’d plan to take it apart to check the machine work and clearances, and that gives you a chance to clean and lube everything up.
Old December 5th, 2019, 12:14 PM

Factor in the cost of the stand also... looks like a decent one (maybe worth $100).
Old December 5th, 2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Factor in the cost of the stand also... looks like a decent one (maybe worth $100).
It it looks a little bit better than the $75 harbor freight engine stand I'm currently using. I'm going to go up there and look at it this weekend. I'm pretty sure I'm going to bring it home.
I still think I will want to tear it down and build a 425 into it though since I have that pretty 425 forged crank. And of course it'll just make me feel better.
Old December 5th, 2019, 06:34 PM

No substitute for cubic inches.....
Tear down, inspect & reassemble to make the most of your good deal.