advice on head work for a street 455

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2017, 02:46 PM

advice on head work for a street 455

Hi, I am in the process of building a street 455 for a '72 Cutlass. I am planning on a .30 over forged piston around 9.75 compression and it will be a roller cam as well. I have had the block gone thru and now looking for some info on what should be done as far as cleanup work on the heads and what will net the best results for the money. These are G heads of a Toronado . I am going to be using the w-30 intake and w/z Thornton exhaust manifolds. I am thinking that I should be getting the center divider evened up to the manifold surface, a good multi angle valve job , and a street port and polish done. I also want to get the heat crossovers at least filled so they are only using one exhaust port instead of being siameesed between the two center ports.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:51 PM

2.07/1.68 valves with a bowl blend, multi angle valve job and backcut valves.
Welding up the center divider results in just a marginal increase when using manifolds but you can do it if you want to. Same with the crossovers.
When you're ready for a cam let me know, I might be able to help there. Best of luck in your project.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 05:11 PM

Hi cutlassefi, Already have the parts that you sold me about a year and a half ago. Finally getting the whole thing together . The shop I went to has done most of the machine work for me and they just did a standard re-con on the heads. Things got mixed up as they were supposed to contact me before finishing the heads .
Old November 24th, 2017, 03:03 AM

Cutlass: things have changed a lot since I was playing with cars years ago. I am having a +.030 455 ('74 or later with J heads with valve rotators, HEI ignition) being machined and rebuilt. Its going into a 4600 pound '64 Olds Starfire with stock (3.42) gears and Turbo 400.

I bought the Starfire with the 455 and Turbo 400. The previous owner was going to part out the car and I couldn't allow destruction of a "mostly" complete car, so I bought it.

What I am wondering, is there a good brand cam "grind" for my application ? Lots of cam grinders out there and lots of choices.
I have to decide what to do, very soon to get the cam, springs lifters and distributor gear.
Thanks