65 Jetstar won't start

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2011, 10:08 PM

65 Jetstar won't start

Tonight about a block from the store, my jetstar acted like it wanted to quit, gave it a little gas and headed to the store, when I got to the stor, turned it off and it kept going for about a sec. Came back to get in the car and it cranks over bot does not sound like it's got any power to start it up. Ideas on what to check? My first instince is to check the coil, is there a way to check if they are good?

Thanks,
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM

Is it home now? I bet after it's cooled off it'll crank right up. Could have flooded...you mentioned it dieseled for a few seconds. What shape is the engine in? How old is the ignition, what type? More info needed to narrow the possibilities.
Old October 18th, 2011, 11:25 PM

Yep, the store is only about 5 blocks from my home so I called my son and we towed it home. Still won't start. The engine is a 68 delmont 455 with electronic ignition that is about 13 years old. It don't sound like it even wants to start, just whines when I turn it over. The engine is in great shape, I don't know alot about it other than it sounds good, doesn't smoke at all.
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Look to see if you have fuel and spark. Those are the 2 requirements for an engine to run!
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:17 AM

It has gas in the tank and I poured some down the carb before I towed it home, no change. How do I check the spark?
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:18 AM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Look to see if you have fuel and spark. Those are the 2 requirements for an engine to run!
Don't forget compression...a broken timing chain or even broken camshaft could also be the culprit. Still, lets hope its something simple.
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by dennisspeaks
It has gas in the tank and I poured some down the carb before I towed it home, no change. How do I check the spark?

You could check for spark with a timing light, or even by pulling a plug wire and using a spare plug, holding the threads to ground while someone cranks the car over (using a heavy pair of gloves of course).
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Instead of pouring gas, which could result in flooding and fire, I prefer a small shot of starter fluid.
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

The three things an engine needs are spark, fuel, and compression - all delivered at the correct time. Fuel is easy - look down the carb while moving the throttle arm and see if fuel sprays from the accelerator pump nozzles. Spark requires you to pull one plug wire off a plug and hold it near a ground point (NOT the carb!) while cranking. I like to stick a phillips screwdriver in the plug boot and use the plastic handle of the screwdriver to insulate myself from the shock.

Assuming you have spark and fuel, put a timing light on the engine and check the timing mark while cranking. If it's moved a lot, time for a timing chain.
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Ah64Pilot, you called it. Got up this morning and it fired right up as if nothing happened. Now what can be done to prevent this?
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Ha Ha, Joe, even I ain't that stupid to hold the spark plug wire towards the carb, can you say kabooom! I suppose there are those who have done it though.

Thanks for all the replies. So happy I have a few more days of sunshine before it gets put away for the winter.
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Maybe a stuck float or dirt in the needle valve causing a flooding condition? if it happens again and gently tapping on the outside of the carb solves the problem, could be a sticky float.