455 main bearings

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2020, 08:26 AM

I am looking at a bad tolerance. All though I think Mark is right it needs to come apart . So being to tight could cause this issue. Have journal loosened half a thousand .The crank was never shown does it have a scratch from debris like main journal? If it does need polished anyways. IMO
Old June 21st, 2020, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
You know all the main caps have factory numbers on them !

Gene
yes i know ,now they have two sets of numbers but mine are way more visible for my tired eyes
Old June 21st, 2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
I am looking at a bad tolerance. All though I think Mark is right it needs to come apart . So being to tight could cause this issue. Have journal loosened half a thousand .The crank was never shown does it have a scratch from debris like main journal? If it does need polished anyways. IMO
all the crank surfaces were nice and smooth
Old June 21st, 2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
all the crank surfaces were nice and smooth
all i am saying is I had a problem similar and loosened my tolerance on my journal problem went away. We checked everything first before that decision was made. I can not stress enough what Mark said. With bearing material going all through the engine it needs to come apart and re-clean the complete oil system heads,oil galleys, all parts.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by tquillen
I saw this issue a long time ago on a 455....

If the #5 bearing is set up with more clearance than the other four (which is highly likely), then any imbalance at the rear of the crank will manifest itself in the #4 bearing. Imbalance could definitely come from improper rotating assembly balance (as cutlassefi said); in the engine I saw, it came from a torque converter that was out of balance. This caused minor wear on the #5 bearing, but it completely obliterated #4. It also caused it to pump oil out of the rear main seal (rope seal). It also had caused the front pump seal in the trans to leak, as well as wiping the bushing in the pump.

Travis
Travis, would you happen to know if this imbalance caused any unusual vibration that would have been noticeable to the driver? Charlie
Old May 2nd, 2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by chasman414
Travis, would you happen to know if this imbalance caused any unusual vibration that would have been noticeable to the driver? Charlie
An imbalance can take out a set of mains long before you feel it, fact.
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:10 PM

New member here.
Have our families 69 H/O. It rarely gets drove much but is drove "firmly" when I do drive it. was Bored .060 in late 70's (we are original owners) and has a set of TRW slugs in her. Had a Erson flat tappet start to flatten so doing a redo on engine. I'm quite fluent on heads and it recently had guides/valves installed and the D heads have bowl/runners done. Will flowbench later during this build to verify #'s.
Will give list of parts later "hyd roller, oiling, intake etc" as building it back to near stock appearing. My main question is this.
1. best bearings suggested. Coated? grooved and how much?
2. Full Milidon oiling system. Block has restrictors installed. Do you suggest other pump than suggested Melling? high pressure/volume?
3. What is concensus on best clearences? Will have line honed if needed but was perfect at last build so they say.....
4. restricted pushrods or not? Howard Hyd roller 233@.050 for W-31 cam close copy with added area and lift.

it will see lots of 1/8 mile trips and a few 1/4 here and there. with combo before Erson it ran in 11's pretty easy so I had throttle limiter to run 12.10 to avoid rollbar as original carpets, paint etc. This is a 3.90 geared car and probably getting a Hughes 2500 convertor to replace the 3000 I had before. It is Hooker 1 7/8th coated with 3"x-pipe and runs out to 3" trumpets. Know my Chevies but this is different animal.
Thanks for any help and suggestions. Terry