455 Intake Manifold comparison

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 04:07 PM

455 Intake Manifold comparison

Hi Everyone,

This may be a bit premature but in the next few weeks I will be finishing a build on a 455. I'm looking for feedback/ideas. The owner has given me his blessing to allow me to spend a little more time on the dyno. Here's the build;

Ga Heads 2.07/1.68, crossovers filled, divider welded, very minor bowl work
.040 over Icon IC886 pistons, .005 in the hole
Eagle H beam rods
N crank
Erson Hyd Roller (what else) Adv. 288/294, 230/234 @ .050, 110 lobe sep, lift .584/.568
Full roller rockers 1.6
New Quick Fuel 750 Vac secondary
HEI
1 3/4 Flowtech Headers

O.K. here's the fun part. It will be broken in on the dyno with a stock Performer intake. I have already purchased a new RPM Air-Gap for comparison as well. The test will be done back to back using the same carb etc. Both manifolds with have the center divider cut down the same amount. Time permitting we will make multiple pulls, each manifold with and without a 4 hole tapered spacer and with and without an open spacer. Both are 1".
Also if time permits I have a Holley SD single plane as well. I'd like to compare that one too but we'll have to see how it goes.
I've already put the Performer and RPM side by side, I'll reserve my findings but for the record based on those findings, I expect the RPM to equal or maybe even outperform the standard Performer, even at lower rpms, but we'll just see.

Unfortunately I don't have another size carb available right now but I'm working on it, maybe something will come up before dyno day. I've already contacted my guy at Edelbrock, they're interested in the results as well.

I'll keep you posted, we'll just have to wait a few weeks!

Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM

Its like the week before christmas all over again Mark
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:22 PM

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:52 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I have a torker here you could borrow as well, Mark. Let me know if you have enough time/interest.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:07 AM

Nephew just went from Torquer to Air-Gap, and caused 8"of snow!!
Mentioned a spacer, and he's already worried about hood clearance issues without it!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

Hi mate, from London, England. I have a 72 Old's Cutlass supreme and use the Eldebrock Torker manifold with a 1 inch spacer as Car Craft did an Old's 455 build up some years back and reckoned the spacer gave the motor another 30 bhp. My Olds has run 11.83 @112 on the motor and 10.73 @125 with a 200 shot of nos, good luck with yours.
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Paul dodd
Hi mate, from London, England. I have a 72 Old's Cutlass supreme and use the Eldebrock Torker manifold with a 1 inch spacer as Car Craft did an Old's 455 build up some years back and reckoned the spacer gave the motor another 30 bhp. My Olds has run 11.83 @112 on the motor and 10.73 @125 with a 200 shot of nos, good luck with yours.
I lost 22 hp on the dyno with a 1" spacer on a Torker manifold... Car Craft sucks.
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM

ah64pilot,

Are you running the Torker or the Performer now?
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM

Still running the Torker...I'm waiting on the outcome of this darn thread before I break down and get an RPM. I still haven't even run the car, we're going next Friday...
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
I lost 22 hp on the dyno with a 1" spacer on a Torker manifold... Car Craft sucks.
Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel! Lol

Should only be a couple weeks, got held up on the heads.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM

After fixing all of the shortcomings on a Popular Hotrodding "Build" I feel a little jaded by the crap that the magazines put out.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...ang/index.html

The harsh reality is that magazines don't make enough money by the ads placed in the pages...they have been supplementing the formal ads with "article ads". Read the above article on the 1966 Mustang a buddy of mine owns. It reads like a Summit parts overview.

On that same car mentioned above, I found 2 bolts missing from subframe connectors, a solid motor mount loose at the frame and engine with LOCK NUTS on the through bolt (never torqued), front bumper bolts didn't even have nuts on them, headlights didn't work, NO lights worked, speedometer didn't work, weatherstripping was hanging down, window crank handles were stripped...do I need to go on?

They throw these cars together to get a pic for a magazine and advertise for sponsors that donate parts to the project. The reason you don't see many Oldsmobile engine builds is because vendors don't produce new parts often enough to justify the article "ad". I was really into Car Craft when I was younger, and then I grew up and realized that my quality of work was well above what they produce... Car Craft sucks.
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:58 PM

Car Craft did an Old's 455 build up some years back and reckoned the spacer gave the motor another 30 bhp.
Car Craft "reckoned" the spacer gave them 30 bhp... couldn't have proved my point any better myself. Car Craft sucks.

Mark...let's get to reckoning which intake makes more power so I can throw some coin down on an Air Gap...500HP here we come
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:23 PM

Car Craft "reckoned" the spacer gave them 30 bhp... couldn't have proved my point any better myself. Car Craft sucks.

Mark...let's get to reckoning which intake makes more power so I can throw some coin down on an Air Gap...500HP here we come
That's alright. years ago HP TV did a piece on the infamous 4-7 swap stuff on a SBC. The cam was done by Lazer cams and supposedly the same grind as the one they tested against it. They said the 4-7 made like 47 more hp, Lazer isn't in business anymore.

But I'll bet your Torker will actuallly turn out to be better for upper end hp and the RPM will be better for midrange torque.

We'll see.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:20 AM

i'm curious as to how the holley will do, i ran one in the late 80's/early 90's and liked it well enough...
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:40 AM

You guys are finally reading BETWEEN the lines of the magazines.
As for the intake & spacer issue,it depends on what spacer you run.I run the tapered 4-hole,from Wilson Manifolds.I DID gain from that.You also need to address the opening of the intake itself.The Torker has a funny Q-jet shape,that needs some tweaking & blending,to channel the air down through there correctly.I ran a Port-O-Sonic,Torker,and Street Dominator all on the same engine,with no modifications to any of those intakes,or any other changes to the engine,and the car ran down the track the same.Some had better short-track compared to another,but the end results were all in the same tenth range.I then took the Torker,air-gapped it,straightened the runners,welded-up the carb throat & machined it for a 4150 opening,then blended the opening into the runners.I then matched the spacer to the opening on the manifold,so everything had a nice transition.I did try this intake without the spacer,and with another open spacer,and it went slower with both.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:55 AM

Brian, I'm sending you an intake...I expect you have a 2 week turn around? Thanks...lol!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
car guy

Looking forward to the results on this one.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM

Too bad you don't have a set of Tri Carbs to test
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:20 AM
Telecom Guru

Wow.. I mean, you have a point and everything, but you didn't have to be such a jerk to the guy who posted it. Completely uncalled for. There's more than one way to make a point.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by jslabotsky
Wow.. I mean, you have a point and everything, but you didn't have to be such a jerk to the guy who posted it. Completely uncalled for. There's more than one way to make a point.
I never said anything negative about Paul Dodd...was I a jerk to him? I didn't mean to be. And I'm sorry that you think I was. But, did you notice that you are the only one in the thread that took it that way? Did you read my long literary masterpiece about magazine cars? If you did you might understand why I say Car Craft sucks. In any case "...This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who".
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
Telecom Guru

I never said anything negative about Paul Dodd...was I a jerk to him? I didn't mean to be. And I'm sorry that you think I was. But, did you notice that you are the only one in the thread that took it that way? Did you read my long literary masterpiece about magazine cars? If you did you might understand why I say Car Craft sucks. In any case "...This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who".
I did read it. I do understand the thought process. Don't condescend to me by assuming I don't understand what you're saying. I actually agree with the thought process, which I acknowledged in my previous post. I'm the only one who *said* they took it that way, but that doesn't mean I'm the only one who did.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:10 AM

I really don't know what to say...really? I guess the military ruined me...or made me a little more of a man. Who knows, either way we'll probably never see eye to eye. Some have thick skin, and some get "boo boos"...sorry dude.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Texas Jim

• u lost 22 hp w/ a one inch spacer... yes, the magazines do sometimes, not all the time, exagerate, but your lost 22hp is over-stating it, surely you want us to take that as sarcasm. I have to say that thirty five plus years of reading different car magazines, I've come across some good info. I've seen builds that were copied from magazines that came out right on point. I built a 383 that Chevy Power Magazine built w/ AFR heads Comp Cam, etc., and got 3 hp less than what they quoted inthe article. Let's keep it real everyone. Comedy shows are great as long as no one states their info as real factual news.
  • If you guys think that all car mags are BS, then you must get all your info from the pros and spending/wasting alot of money on trial and error builds. PLEASE...
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
  • u lost 22 hp w/ a one inch spacer... yes, the magazines do sometimes, not all the time, exagerate, but your lost 22hp is over-stating it, surely you want us to take that as sarcasm. I have to say that thirty five plus years of reading different car magazines, I've come across some good info. I've seen builds that were copied from magazines that came out right on point. I built a 383 that Chevy Power Magazine built w/ AFR heads Comp Cam, etc., and got 3 hp less than what they quoted inthe article. Let's keep it real everyone. Comedy shows are great as long as no one states their info as real factual news.
  • If you guys think that all car mags are BS, then you must get all your info from the pros and spending/wasting alot of money on trial and error builds. PLEASE...
Actually, I don't want you to take it as sarcasm. I'm running a ported Torker and Holley HP 950 into ported Edelbrock heads. I made 492 HP on the dyno and was looking to get it over 500. Thinking a carb spacer might do it, we threw one on and ran it again. After that pull the numbers showed that the extra plenum volume really hurt us. 470 HP with the spacer vs. 492 HP without the spacer.

I appreciate your attempt to reign in the magazine bashing but please don't attempt to mitigate real world experience as in my case. With regard to your final comment, I do consult the pro's and will continue to do so. I built a 455 based on "PRO" advice and my own experience for the same amount of money that Horsepower TV did. Unlike HP TV we didn't struggle to make 1 HP per Cubic Inch. I'm really happy I didn't blueprint an engine off of their example...

Steve
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Texas Jim

The military did make you a jerk. ... I've met your kind in the Military. The "know it all" pilot. Everything 1st. class. A seriously sickening MF. I've read your posts in the past, but you didn't come on as arrogant or big-headed as you have here. You should be-little some of your all-pro buddies, and now guys who are still looking for answers . Paul surely knows you're the "Ugly American," if you're old enough to fully understand where that came from.
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:47 PM

CutlassEFI, I sincerely apologize for my comments in this thread that do not pertain to the subject. I did not realize that I would be offending anyone when I made them. I am also not going to acknowledge any more of them so that this thread can stay on track.

If anyone else would like to call me a "Seriously sickening MF" I would ask that you use the new chatbox feature so that we can talk in real time...and so that you might get a better idea of who I am before making bold statements about me. Thanks!

Steve
Old February 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM

Ok, ladies let's calm down here. We're all friends here.
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

No Spacer no worries

No offence taken guys we brits are a hardy bunch, but maybe I am naive to beleive all I read. All I do know is my 455 features edelbrock ally heads and torker manifold, with one inch spacer, which I chose above all others for a bit extra top end rpm and the carb is a Barry grant 750 speed demon. It all seems to work as 11.83@112mph on the motor and 10.73@125DPP07DA0501140E36[2].jpg with a 200 shot of Nos ain't too shabby.
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:47 AM

I always make sure I have my salt shaker nearby,when reading the latest magazine.Never hurts to have some pepper either.
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Paul Dodd, 10 sec Old's

I like your Supreme Brian, I would swap my cowl induction hood for your twin scoop anytime, here is another shot of itPicture 014.jpg
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM

No offence taken guys we brits are a hardy bunch, but maybe I am naive to beleive all I read. All I do know is my 455 features edelbrock ally heads and torker manifold, with one inch spacer, which I chose above all others for a bit extra top end rpm and the carb is a Barry grant 750 speed demon. It all seems to work as 11.83@112mph on the motor and 10.73@125Attachment 39983 with a 200 shot of Nos ain't too shabby.
Those are some great numbers Paul. I'd be interested to know what power you're making. Did you have the engine dyno'd? When we dyno'd mine it didn't like the spacer at all. What pistons are you using? Comp? Etc?

And thanks for the email, I appreciate you going out of your way to let me know that I am not a jerk as was previously stated. It's funny, the one guy calling me an A-hole looked like the biggest A-hole of all in his comment. Anyway, thanks Paul!

Steve
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM

eesh, cant get a word in anywhere here without some kind of argument breaking out haha. I feel like people would do well to proof-read and think about how their words say before they say them, not saying anyone was at fault in this specific instance but still...ive been there before and it really does get on your nerves feeling like you've gotta walk on eggshells all the time

Aside from that lol, im interested in the outcome here. Ive been wanting the RPM for my 455 build, ive heard two sides of the story to the torker, one side says its decent but its ancient and out dated, the other says its recommended nearly 90% of the time. I feel like William Wallace at the end of the movie here haha
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Texas Jim

ah,
I also stated that I had not seen you come off in the past like you did heret. I also realize that you want to" save face" which is why you're trying, in your last post, to put it all on me. You started this,came off wrong, ******* out this guy about taking supposed good info to the bank which you insist is pure BS. I do agree that the car mags use build articles to promote mfgs., but when a mixed number of parts are used from diff. mfgs, and changed out as they go and dynoed each time, they sometimes make good points. You have to, like in any situation, take and keep what's worth keeping, and w/ the breath of good judgment, blow the rest away. I have seen build articles, ie; in Chevy Power Mag., where the numbers were right on, from my 1st. hand experience, due to having numerous SBC parts on-hand and having done a series of similar builds and afew same builds. NO, I've never seen a carb spacer give up 20 or 30 straight out HP, but I'm still not going to laugh in a person's face who suggests that it's a true thing. I wasn't a pilot in Viet Nam or in Iraq, but just another Ranger, who used what I could when the situation called f/ it, and at times was, as I had to be, flexible, so as to cause things to go smoothly rather than start a fire storm, or to treat a person respectfully even when I disagreed, as that person may be different than what that first impression showed me. My specific wording last night was harsh, but that was the impression I got from your post,and as I previously stated, you hadn't come off that way in the past. I DO tend to look out f/ the under-dog. No hard feelings here. I do feel that if you "sift" through the mag articles, you'll find some good stuff. Sincerely, Jimmy.

Last edited by Texas Jim; February 5th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Hi Everyone,

This may be a bit premature but in the next few weeks I will be finishing a build on a 455. I'm looking for feedback/ideas. The owner has given me his blessing to allow me to spend a little more time on the dyno. Here's the build;

Ga Heads 2.07/1.68, crossovers filled, divider welded, very minor bowl work
.040 over Icon IC886 pistons, .005 in the hole
Eagle H beam rods
N crank
Erson Hyd Roller (what else) Adv. 288/294, 230/234 @ .050, 110 lobe sep, lift .584/.568
Full roller rockers 1.6
New Quick Fuel 750 Vac secondary
HEI
1 3/4 Flowtech Headers

O.K. here's the fun part. It will be broken in on the dyno with a stock Performer intake. I have already purchased a new RPM Air-Gap for comparison as well. The test will be done back to back using the same carb etc. Both manifolds with have the center divider cut down the same amount. Time permitting we will make multiple pulls, each manifold with and without a 4 hole tapered spacer and with and without an open spacer. Both are 1".
Also if time permits I have a Holley SD single plane as well. I'd like to compare that one too but we'll have to see how it goes.
I've already put the Performer and RPM side by side, I'll reserve my findings but for the record based on those findings, I expect the RPM to equal or maybe even outperform the standard Performer, even at lower rpms, but we'll just see.

Unfortunately I don't have another size carb available right now but I'm working on it, maybe something will come up before dyno day. I've already contacted my guy at Edelbrock, they're interested in the results as well.

I'll keep you posted, we'll just have to wait a few weeks!

Thanks!
^^Just A REMINDER..... this is the current subject.^^

1 type of dyno, 1 unique motor combo. 1 power range to pull examples from.

It doesn't matter what you have in your car. Not applicable.

By the way, Mark.... You can modify my torker for the experiment if you would like to borrow it. Just don't make it unusable.
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Hey J,

Sorry I haven't acknowledged your offer, thank you. But here's a question for all;

I may not have time to test 4 manifolds as I plan on doing at least 2 different configurations with each, i.e. with spacer, without spacer etc. So what is everyones opinion, J's Torker or my Holley Street Dominator?
Both have similar runners (except the Torker has those dogleg end runners) and both have similar size plenums as well.

What do you think Gentlemen? No gaurantees but I'll do my best.
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM

Torker definitely...there are more guys using them and more guys contemplating them. This would be a no holds barred Edelbrock intake showdown! And it covers the entire spectrum of offerings from Edelbrock, less the victor. And it would tell a bunch of guys already running Torkers whether or not it would be worth the money to switch over to one of the others.

This is just my totally unbiased opinion of course
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Wink

Torker vs
Performer vs
Airgap
Thanks
joepenoso
PS ...........................with a high lift build like that my money is on the Torker
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:21 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

No pressure. It's your time, Mark. I'm not offended either way. Just offering another option.
The basic reasons I mentioned the torker series is:

--It is easily double clicked brand new into everyone's checkout basket on summ!t or J3gs.

--some people claim it is crap down low
--some people claim it is crap up top
--some say put a spacer on it
--some say no spacer or the throttle will be boggy.
--It is still in the Edelbrock family, so why not have a showdown? People can buy the right one the first time.

Unmolested street dominators are a bit more elusive, unless you have a chebby.
I always wanted to use one for an experiment like yours though. I have a HSD on a small block here, and the throttle response is wicked.

Basically stock build from stuff floating around the shop. I took a 66 toro cam&lifters, and stuffed them into a 76 350, with #2 heads, for a 9.3:1 go about town motor.
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:50 AM

I know dyno time is money. Would a small donation for good solid no Bs info help to do a larger test. What will the test engine be? I also have a o4b I could throw in for the test ?
Old February 9th, 2012, 04:58 AM

i'd like to see the holley tested, my past experience with them has been very good... in fact i'm cleaning up one that i just bought on ebay, it's for a small block olds.

i think it'd be interesting to see you dyno an offy 360 equaflo intake as they are still commonly available and have a unique design...

Quick Reply: 455 Intake Manifold comparison