CKP Crankcase relearn procedure??

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2009, 04:05 PM

CKP Crankshaft relearn procedure??

Is there a home process to relearn for crankshaft positioning sensor after replacement or is it the basic dealer only $100+ ripoff to connect a box for 2 minutes? The manual calls for taking it to 4050 RPM and have a box relearn. Please take me back to the 60's and early 70's when one could fix a car without dealer high markups and special boxes.

Last edited by gtonut57; December 30th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old December 31st, 2009, 05:16 AM
Past Administrator

I hear you. What you just referred to almost sounded like Martian to me I am so old school. I think if you want some feedback and good info you might contact Olds64. He learned that stuff in college and is one of our go to guys for the newer stuff. He might be able to answer or get an answer for you.
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gtonut57
Is there a home process to relearn for crankshaft positioning sensor after replacement or is it the basic dealer only $100+ ripoff to connect a box for 2 minutes? The manual calls for taking it to 4050 RPM and have a box relearn. Please take me back to the 60's and early 70's when one could fix a car without dealer high markups and special boxes.
My 1999 Chevy truck requires the external test tool for the CKP learn procedure. I went through this recently, though since I have several OBD II cars, I bought my own OTC Genysis on ebay. Owning such a tool is pretty much mandatory if you plan to do much of your own work on a newer car.
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM

I assume its a aurora but what year?
Old December 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM

2001 Aurora 3.5 V-6
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:45 AM

You should check your manual to see if a relearn procedure is necessary. I always buy a Chilton's guide for my newer vehicles. They are invaluable. If you need to go through a relearn procedure then you might be able to get it done at your local auto parts store.
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks Olds64. I actually have dealer manuals and appears there is no way out of having to use some version of electronic scanner as in Genysis OTC,Hp Tuner or dealer ripoff hook up. Sad the mechanics at dealers today don't know the mechanics of cars just how to replace boxes or parts based on what the computer readout tells them.
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gtonut57
Sad the mechanics at dealers today don't know the mechanics of cars just how to replace boxes or parts based on what the computer readout tells them.
Now don't get me started...

Even the factory service manuals from the 1990s and newer leave a lot to be desired. Unlike the 1960s and 70s manuals, where the operating theory of each system was described so you could diagnose problems, the newer manuals are only flowcharts. Even tasks as simple as diagnosing the headlight circuit or heater blower motor circuit have lengthy flowcharts that tell you to check specific voltages instead of just teaching you how to trace a circuit with a voltmeter or test light. Worse, the more complicated systems all have flowcharts that at some point say "Replace computer with known good unit and repeat test." Not a problem for a dealership, but most of us don't have a warehouse full of new ECUs or other electronic components. Most parts stores have a no-return policy on electrical components specifically for this reason.

OK, I guess you DID get me started...