Alero horn, cruise and turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM
President Blue/Grey OCA

Alero horn, cruise and turn signal problems

Hello Everyone!

After the well known and nationally recalled Alero turn signal fix failed to work I wanted to share with everyone what else causes the failure of Horn, Cruise Control and Turn Signals.

I had changed the Hazard switch as in the recall and also changed the turn signal switch in the steering colum both failed to correct the problem.

wanted to tell you that the recall on the 1999-2004 turn signal recall is only good for 10 years or 100,000 miles. Also after having no success with repairing the problem by changing the hazard switch I have found a critical problem that mimics this recall issue.

Alero with the following conditions:
Turn Signals flash erratically when manual or automatic headlights are on.
No horn condition and when horn is depressed the cruise control light blinks while horn is depressed.
Cruise control operated erratically or has no operation.
All turn signal lights illuminate when left or right signal is made when headlights are on and flash at a rapid rate.

Under the hood on the drivers side next to the air cleaner box there is a small black box the size of a match pack that is supposed to be screwed into the inner fender. There is an issue with the bolt snapping off from age and this is a critical ground point for the circuit breaker that controls the above functions.
If your circuit breaker becomes ungrounded this will cause the above problems and also drive one crazy.
There is a unused hole just to the front of the original location and if you use a self tapping screw and re attach the breaker all conditions are fixed!!

I was about to try a Body Control Module which also controls this function after no success with changing the hazard switch and also the turn signal switch in the steering column.

I found this by accident when working under the hood on another issue and it solves all problems.
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:09 AM

That's a good one...my kid has an Alero, but she has not had that type of problem yet...fingers crossed.
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:42 AM
Lansing built

Thanks for the heads up! I doubt I will have any trouble from mine, only 5,090 miles and has never been driven in the snow and barely seen rain.

Pat
Old July 23rd, 2014, 04:19 PM

Thank you a million times over. My moms 03 alero was doing this and I was about to give up. Problem solved !!!!! The bolt fell apart right in my hands when I moved the box slightly. Thanks for the post