restoration kit?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2014, 09:18 PM

restoration kit?

After not being licensed since 1983, and probably not run since at least 1985, my one-owner '68 442 4-speed convertible is being brought back to life. I just got it running tonight, and wondered if anyone is aware of any kind of kit or package being available for all the new hoses, belts, lines, etc., this kind of project will take. That is, can these things be bought together as a package, or do they all have to be bought individually. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:11 AM

I haven't heard of any kit...go to your auto parts store with you list of stuff and see what they can come up with...and welcome to THE site.
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1.

No.

- Eric
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:26 AM

Rockauto will be your friend for parts. They are almost always alot cheaper than your local parts store. If its a specific item you need for restoration Fusick and Inline Tube are a few of the parts suppliers.

As said there is no all in one kit. Get out a notepad and start writing down what you need as you come across it in the teardown. If you cant find something dont hesitate to ask the forums.

Oh and where are the pictures! :-)
Old May 20th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Administrator

If your not trying to go for a pure stock looking resto, then your local auto parts store for hoses, belts, tune up parts, filters, etc is the easiest way to go. Rockauto is a good source if you like shopping from your couch nekkid while eatin pizza.
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Magna86
Rockauto will be your friend for parts. They are almost always alot cheaper than your local parts store. If its a specific item you need for restoration Fusick and Inline Tube are a few of the parts suppliers.

As said there is no all in one kit. Get out a notepad and start writing down what you need as you come across it in the teardown. If you cant find something dont hesitate to ask the forums.

I've been on this site for about a year, when my best friend in the world just gave (that's right, GAVE me) his one owner '68 442 convertible. I've posted pics earlier on this forum. I finally got the sweet car running and am now chasing all the wear-out items (hoses, belts, fuel pump, plugs, plug wires, etc.) that it'll take to get it to where it's dependable. Thanks for the Rock Auto reference. Lots cheaper than O'Reilly's. I'll try to post periodically on progress. By the way, my car is Saffron Yellow (remember that song by Donovan? Mellow Yellow?) with a black top, and in really good condition. I'm really looking forward to getting it back into top condition. When I called my buddy, and let him listen to the engine running (after 30 years), he was really excited. We both were. Sorry for the long post.
Old May 20th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Magna86

Pics in the thread right below this one. Thanks, Mike.
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:03 AM

Old May 21st, 2014, 07:46 AM

wow.. That is some friend!
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:54 AM

He is indeed a great friend. He was the best man at my wedding. He never married or had kids, so he decided the Olds should go to me because we had so many great memories in it, and I should give it to my son (an only child) when I die. I'm so grateful he kept it all these 46 years and never modified it at all except for some ET Mag wheels he put on it when it was brand new. And, of course, I'm very grateful he deemed me to be his successor to owning this great car.