Just bought a 65 442

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:15 PM

Just bought a 65 442

I have now replaced the 1970 Olds 442 that i lost in a fire in March. It was the car I went to the prom in, in 1970. At the age of about 14 I remember seeing a 1965 442 (white over green) in a show room at Pristows Oldsmobile in Winber, PA. Finding another 70 would be hard for me and I decided on the 65. It's the one that I found at Streetside Classics in Charlotte, NC. It needs some TLC from a 2003 body off resto but it's nothing I can't handle and I look forward to working on it. I will never get over losing the 70. We had a 65 Cutlass stolen in 1968 and never got it back. I think my Dad would be happy that I got the 65. I still have the keys to the Cutlass.
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:08 AM

65 Cutlass F-85

I have a White over Green 65 F-85 that I purchased several years ago. I have yet to see another one. Mine has green interior. Post some photos.
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Pic's are always appreciated, sounds like a nice car.
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM

The car isn't here yet but will come on a single trailer by itself. I was given the resto paperwork or at least some of it. I'm a Type A person so it will be detailed to the max. It's not bone stock as my 70 was but I realize to find a car like the 70 would be impossible. Basically it is all stock except for the steering wheel. It has Flow master exhaust system and headers with an Edlebrook intake and Holly carb. The resto receipts indicate the motor was bored .030. over. It has a chrome type valve covers with a standard element exposed/chrome top. The wiring is neat and better than the stock wires and it has a Petronix deal in the distributor. power brakes and power steering and the radiator looks NOS. It needs an insulation blanket. I will pull the motor and detail it. Under carriage is all good and just needs my touch. The only oil I saw was that it could use a differential seal. There must be a slight leak either in the 4 speed trans input shaft or maybe some coming out the rear main. But it's not that bad like it's flying out and going on the underbody. The power steering pump must be oozing a little but nothing I can't correct. There is some oily dirt where the oil installation tube goes into the motor. But all this is minor for me. The rear bumper has a dime sized rust area and upon close examination there are some minor waves on the top right side of the bumper but when I get it rechromed they should be able to fix that. Also, I don't know what the previous owener did but the chrome piece that goes between rear brake lights looks like it was rechromed but it doesn't look exactly like the stock finish. But I'll figure that out. So now that I've picked the car apart the rest of it is great! Great eye candy, fun to work on and drive. I like a stock car but at least this one is probably how I would have made it anyway. Of course as you know back in the day it was typical to add the carb, headers, valve covers and air cleaner. It has the Olds slotted mag wheels that were an option of 442's but I'm not sure these were an option for the 1965 models. I will post pictures when I get the car. Due to working on my building and motorcycle touring in the summer, I'll jump into this machine this coming fall. Right now I have to get the man cave apartment ready for the car.
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM

looking forward to seeing it
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:05 PM
car guy

Welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing it.
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a nice car, congrats.
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM

http://www.streetsideclassics.com/sh...le-442-Holiday

Im not the type that pics cars apart, not my style. But I did read that you said the car is mostly stock besides the steering wheel, theres a lot more that you havent noticed yet. I hope you checked the cowl tag to see where it was made and if it has 4V on it (Lansing only).
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:53 PM

According to the vin number it was built in Lansing and the numbers show a Holiday coupe, which it is. The shifter shows 442 on it and not Hurst. I had checked the Bro442 website regarding clones and some of the details. The grille assembly is black painted as they claim the true 442's were, which you can't see well in the pictures so I figured there was enough there that this car is a true 442 and not some clone car. Of course I know the exhaust is not stock. But at this point in life it will give me something to work with. Hell, the Olds that burned was so original it had the factory under coating that was applied to the car during the third week of November 1969 in Lansing and had the stenciled letters applied there on the cowl. It even had the original back seat in it where me and my girlfriend..................... the back seat was too confining. That was in the spring of 1970. Now, how stock can you get. So, on with the new car. I've already cried enough. But, NO, this car was build in good ole Lansing, MI.
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jRoofgunner
According to the vin number it was built in Lansing and the numbers show a Holiday coupe, which it is. The shifter shows 442 on it and not Hurst. I had checked the Bro442 website regarding clones and some of the details. The grille assembly is black painted as they claim the true 442's were, which you can't see well in the pictures so I figured there was enough there that this car is a true 442 and not some clone car. Of course I know the exhaust is not stock. But at this point in life it will give me something to work with. Hell, the Olds that burned was so original it had the factory under coating that was applied to the car during the third week of November 1969 in Lansing and had the stenciled letters applied there on the cowl. It even had the original back seat in it where me and my girlfriend..................... the back seat was too confining. That was in the spring of 1970. Now, how stock can you get. So, on with the new car. I've already cried enough. But, NO, this car was build in good ole Lansing, MI.
So you didnt check the cowl tag then. All that stuff you mentioned doesnt mean its a real 442. That shifter is from a 67 442, and the grill isnt painted black like a 442 originally was. And Im guessing you dont know the door panel trim is on backwards, and the dash is from a 64.

This car very well may be a real car, but you really should haved checked the cowl tag. So much is not original on that car that would have been the first thing I looked at.
Old November 30th, 2012, 02:07 PM

More info

The cowl tag has the 4v from Lansing. I will correct the area behind the grille and the door panel molding as you mentioned. There is flat black paint in the area of the grille between the headlights but it is faded. As far as the dash difference of the 64, I will need more info on that and I understand they are the same except for some paint difference. I did speak with the fellow who did the work on the car. In short, he found the car in a sorry state and the original 400 engine was lost so in keeping with what was done by some at the time and the dealers, he installed a 425 cid Olds engine, bored 030 over with a mild cam, but as he described not radical. Bottom line is it didn't end up in a crusher and it's mine.

Last edited by jRoofgunner; November 30th, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:09 PM

I decided not to buy the car. There was too much that wasn't quite right with the sale and the info surrounding it. They had it listed with the 400 cid engine but i contacted the owner and he said it was a 425 out of a 1968 Olds. The 68's had 455's, so the longer this went on the less I liked the whole idea.
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Registered Luser

Probably the right move...
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM

You seem like you really wanted a 70. Take your time and find one. Around the same money they wanted for that 65 will get you a really nice 70.
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sorry that it turned out to be not what you wanted but better now than later. I hate buyer remorse.
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:18 PM

I tending to go with the 1965 442 or cutlass as we had one stolen in 1968 and never got it back. I like the 70's but I figure if I get one I'll constantly compare it to the one that burned up, and I watched the building burn while I couldn't get the car out. I may not have PTSD but I understand it.
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Sorry the deal did not work out, there are others out there.
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM

This member spent about four months looking for one and finally found one a month or so ago. If you shoot him a PM I bet he can tell you the ones NOT to buy.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...965-442-a.html
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:06 AM

I am glad you made the decision to pass on this car. I could sense the pain in your posts. You should really look for another '70. Thanks to TK-65 for shedding more light on the authenticity of the car.
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM
CRH

Don't worry, you weren't confused... A'65 442 is much cooler than a '70!
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Here is what happened. Streetside classics changed their ad and came clean with the fact, as I found out, after doing some investigating that the car they said had a 400 inch motor actually has a 425 inch out of a 66/67 Olds. You can see this on their website. So they did fix it. However if I had NOT asked questions, etc. I would have ended up with a surprise. But this is all over with and I got all funds returned. What I did get was a 65 Cutlass like the one we had stolen in 1968 and never got it back. An OCA guy recommended it and my brother personally checked the car out so I will post photos of the car later. The fellow that has worked on this car is very detail oriented like i was with my 70. At this point I realize that the 70 cannot be replaced and if I get another then I will always be comparing it to the one lost so i'm just going to let it go, and move on. The 442 that I almost had is not a bad car, I think, and it needs corrections but the whole situation surrounding it wasn't good for me therefore I didn't want it and I think my Dad would like me having the 65 Cutlass and I think so, too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
028_26.jpg (102.8 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by jRoofgunner; December 27th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:01 AM

Talking 65 Olds

Great to hear that you bought the 65. Good luck with it, as it sounds like you made a good buy. Can't wait to see the pictures!:
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM

65 442's on ebay

I know ebay is somewhat suspect but in the last few days two different 65's have been placed on there.. It at least warrants a few emails..