Howdy - 1968 4-4-2 LOTS of questions

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Mike has seen those stripes he took the pic before I bought the car

That was John ebbs collection all the cars seen in that pic are gone. He has a fraction of what he use to have
Old August 18th, 2015, 02:30 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ahh John Ebbs lucky man, just Like Fred...Thats the first thing I do if I had a boat load of 100s is buy em all up. One for each day of a long month...still very interesting either way on the stripes. Thats why I love this hobby. Been trying to get Mike to come to Damascus Shrine in Webster NY on Fridays with that beauty of a 68. 4-600 cars on a good night. Another guy, Joe, has a beautiful 69 W30, trophy blue on white with Cragar SSs. Mike you and I would be the only 68s out of that number of cars.
Old August 18th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Ahh John Ebbs lucky man, just Like Fred...Thats the first thing I do if I had a boat load of 100s is buy em all up. One for each day of a long month...still very interesting either way on the stripes. Thats why I love this hobby. Been trying to get Mike to come to Damascus Shrine in Webster NY on Fridays with that beauty of a 68. 4-600 cars on a good night. Another guy, Joe, has a beautiful 69 W30, trophy blue on white with Cragar SSs. Mike you and I would be the only 68s out of that number of cars.
John had an amazing collection at one time 3 ramrods , every year w car from 68-72 not anymore sadly . But agreed few olds seen at open shows.

I am taking a break sold all my cars perhaps when kids get a little bigger will get back into it
Old August 18th, 2015, 07:30 PM

guys Kurt sent me this and he as always has good points. Perhaps I should of not taken what J.Ebbs said for absolute. Well here are his thoughts:

Dean, I really do not believe any ghost/hood stripes are original. After the '68 H/Os came out, lots of guys added all or parts of the H/O stripes. Ebs had a lot of cars, but he was not really much of a researcher. He "observed" a lot, no doubt about that. But you know what observations are like as far as any proof of originality goes. Notice that Ebs said that, but offered nothing as proof? In other words, take my word for it? That never has and never will be proof.
I also challenge anybody, any paint guy, ANYONE to prove or even give any reasonable explanation of how a paint stripe can be deemed "original" on a 40 year old car. Can prove that the stripe was put on at the plant and not a dealer or even an individual when the car was weeks old? You don't have to be a paint expert to know the answer to that.
Another thought to add to the absurdity of the hood stripes being factory. The '68 H/O hood stripes were put on where? Not at the factory. So.......

So without one shred of evidence to support the supposition, how can it possibly be believed?
Old August 21st, 2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ezman604
A great welcome folks, I appreciate that. For a newbie, it's a good feeling.
I just made my introduction post, probably should have done that first. But was a bit anxious to get started learning.
Will cruise around and look for the classified section. I guess my first post there will be to offer a swap of steering wheels. LOL
This one is super clean and after looking at the BAP catalog, I suspected it had been changed and wasn't the correct one. I suspect the interior is all updated also. One clue to me is the drivers door panel has a mirror remote stick but the mirror is a manual one. The correct one though. But no passenger mirror to match. After looking at many pictures online, it seems about 50% had passenger side rear view mirrors.
We bought an enclosed trailer to take our car to long distance shows. This was my first time to pull such a box and I had maximum pucker factor going on not being able to SEE my cargo. And it was a 2-1/2 hour drive one way. I was finally able to relax a little AFTER the wheels touched my driveway. Here I am unloading.

Unloading 4 4 2 - YouTube
That SOUND!

Nice car, can't really go wrong with triple black
Old August 21st, 2015, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zrzoun
That SOUND!

Nice car, can't really go wrong with triple black

LOL
That IS a nice sound, isn't it?
Thanks!!!
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:12 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Back when you could discern one brand from another just by its engine sound. I can here the headers as well. MUSIC! As a Kid I could tell a ford from a chevy or olds or...etc with about a 90-95% accuracy rate...try that now. We have had nothing like that since about 1978. Think only car to have a cool note up until the modern Mustang and the Hemi Challenger, was well a 302 Mustang.