Here is the story of priests442

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Here is the story of priests442

So as to confine the restoration thread to the work on the automobile and since questions have been asked...Here is the story of priests442:

Tom was a burly cuss. He was quick witted, quick to the joke, just not quick a foot. He could be found in the trenches on Friday night and on a creeper most other times. In fact, Everett, Tom’s father, did not exactly appreciate the sensibility behind the gridiron. He preferred a more traditional meddling; one that resulted in returning automobiles to the splendor once beholden.

Priest & Sons could most often be held in more singular terms. Randy, the other son, had more…or less…appreciative hobbies. Hence, Tom turned in the cleats and spent more time in the paint room.

Usually, Tom drove one of his reclamation projects. He was pretty good considering he was already nearly half a decade tested. ’67 and ’68 brought 442 endeavors. The guys at the nearby drag strip said that they were, well, fast. Often, fastest.

Everett was really good. Much of the major body work from Chesrown (Olds Cadillac Dealership) was getting farmed out to him. David Chesrown and Everett were becoming friends. Tom was simply a car prodigy. The projects and the “real job” that Tom thought necessary to raise a family were providing the wherewithal for nosing around Dave’s new models.

Tom handpicked…seems funny…you actually “built” your own car back then…Sorry, I know it’s not funny…it was when the world was right with automobiles. You weren’t stuck with whatever some suit thought was right for the consumer. Anyway, he checked all the right boxes, one day the phone rang, and off he went to get his 1969 442 W30

He drove her for awhile (11,000 miles or so) and she started hittin the sauce…sorry, using oil. Again, the relationship between Dave and Everett interjects…and in comes a 455 intended for a 70 Hurst.

Later, David would play spoiler again; in cahoots with Everett on a 442 drag car, they convinced Tom to give up the 4.33 rear. Of course, they would return it or a replacement one day…that day never came. Meanwhile, Tom put an open 2.56 from a Cutlass in her. He didn’t get her out as much after that. He had two jobs and a family.

Oh, how the story turns. Tom is struck paralyzed from the breast bone down after an accident. The old girl is fired up from time to time…for a few years. Everett stored her for a while; then, he passed. I made every effort to assist in the multiple relocations of her until I could build her a new home.

Meanwhile, Tom is diagnosed with cancer. Seriously, he was told he would maybe make 40 after the paralysis. In his 50s comes the “c” word. They gut him (sorry, but its true, he lost over 100 pounds) and give him 18 months.

He has been clean for over two years. He continues to do rehabilitation…and now he is thinking of greater goals. I have to help him get that car back on the road. He emails pictures, ads, and the like. He is in his 60s now. Although that real job got him some computer skills, he is not exactly an Internet Forum kind of guy.

So, here I am. Take it easy on me men for all the usual know nothing, heart in the right place reasons. My father and I will be starting a restoration. Wait, make that a “return my Dad’s car to the road” project (for accuracy’s sake). Dad bought the car new (1969 442 W30). He knows everything…well, at least, when it comes to that car.

Me, I know a lot of minutia…and little about that car…besides, the fact that it would make my father complete to get her back on the road, I am trying to be a good son. That’s priests442 in a rather salty and overly toasted nut shell. I hope you enjoyed our little story. Feel free to drop your two cents on our little project by the restoration thread.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/442/9374-preparing-restoration.html
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM

interesting story, good luck with the build. post pictures when you can and keep us updated. If we can help with ideas and/or parts location let us know and we on will help. I know I speak for all of us who use this site

Pat

1957 Super 88 with 455
1948 series 66 fasbsack with 455 and 5-speed
Old December 9th, 2008, 04:56 PM

I am a car guy albeit not an Olds guy (yet) from way back and have a kncak for locating those almost impossible to find parts for any vehicle. Too bad most of my resources are not on the internet. But if there is anything I can do to help I am here and will do what I can. I know what you are doing and have been in the same situation in a different place in time.
Old March 16th, 2021, 07:10 AM

Project updates coming soon.... thanks to @69442murph !!!

Teaser:

"I learned to drive in that car!" -Mom

Soon she will have the chance to drive it again!