The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Newbie here- seeking advice on how to join your ranks!

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Newbie here- seeking advice on how to join your ranks!

Hello all. New to the forum… don’t own a cutlass, but hope to soon!

I recently became a Father and am looking for a more “Family friendly” car.

Once I hit college I started with a 92 Camaro and then moved on to an 85 corvette which on graduation I sold for financial reasons. Nothing dire but I was getting married and finances were tight enough to provide some unwanted stress. Just last summer I got back into things with an 87 Vette. Living in Michigan at the time, I bought it and a week later, drove it down to the beach in NC for a family vacation!

Anyway, we have recently moved back to live near family in upstate NY and had our first child. I’m starting to realize that the corvette is less than ideal with only two seats because with what little free time I do have, it’s still not “just the two of us” anymore. And I’ll admit it… the Wife has never really been fond of Corvettes… I’m also looking for a project that I can involve my father and uncle. We have talked for a while of doing an engine build among other things..

This brings me to today and my new desire. I started doing some looking around at the traditional 60’s-70’s Camaros, Cevelles, novas, chargers etc. and ran into the Olds. It seems like any show you go to there are tons of Chevelles and Camaros despite how rare they may be and I’m just drawn to the styling of the cutlass much more. Of course this means traveling into uncharted territory because I have no familiarity with Olds engines. Anyway, I’ve basically decided I MUST have an Olds Cutlass 71 or 72. I love the grill on this car and how aggressive it looks rising above the headlights. Honestly I think I like the Cutlass S hood more than the 442 with scoops.. I’ve already measured the garage and I’m losing 3 feet compared to the Vette, but I still have enough for a walk way!!! So I’m officially on the hunt….

Only question I really have for you all is what drew you to the Cutlass? Anyone out there that had trouble deciding between Camaro/Chevelle and the Cutlass you ended up with? Oh and of course if anyone knows of a clean project car in upstate NY feel free to hook me up with the owner…Or even if you have your own car and want to show off… I’d love to see a clean complete car so I know what I have to look forward to!

Also looking for any advice on how to make the transition.
1- What can I expect to pay for a solid project car? I think my problem is going to be I have such a narrow window of years I want… Can a 68-70 be made to look like a 71-72 with bolt on parts? I’d hate to change a car like that… I’m sure I can find the car I’m looking for without defacing another year…
2- Think I will find someone who will trade for the Vette? I’m sort of hoping for the right project car I will have some cash coming my way in the trade to put into the project but I think it will be hard to go to someone selling a car and ask for their car AND cash…I don’t want to buy the cutlass first and deplete the bank account but don’t want to have to sell my car going into winter…

Thanks for all of your support in advance… ( sorry that became a little long winded….)
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:24 AM

Hi welcome to the site. Well when you get hooked on Olds the only cure is owning one. The 70 is basically the same car as the 71-72. The hood, grill, bumpers, and core support are different, other then that its the same car. The body lines on the 68-69 are completely different from the 70-72 years.

We have few guys on here from NY, so good luck on your hunt.
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:31 AM

tj78,

Welcome to the CO. I totally understand your thought patterns. I own a '69 camaro SS and let me tell you, everyone and their brother has one and if they don't, they have another year or a chevelle. Yes, they are very eye appealing and don't get me wrong, fun too. But, when you start to see so many around you feel like just another sheep amongst the flock. This is exactly why I moved towards oldsmobile. My dad had one and I've always admired it even in its weathered glory right now, I started rebuilding the motor, and I will sell my camaro to finance the rest. Plus, they are so much more rare in my opinion. When you set yourself apart from all the Camaros, Firebirds, Chevelles, and Mustangs real folks typically gravitate towards a nice Cutlass, GTO, or GSX for some reason. At least I do when I go to the shows now. Good luck in your endeavor.
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:37 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Welcome and good luck in your hunt. I have a 71 convertible. Parts are a little more difficult to find but not to bad. One nice thing is alot of the parts on olds engines interchange even from small and big blocks. As for getting into olds, An olds was my wifes first car and it was what she would let me buy. Now I wouldn't change.
Larry
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Thanks guys. Probably a hard question but does anyone have any idea of an estimate of how many of these cutlass cars have survived over the years?

70 cutlass s - are you saying i could achieve a 71-72 look with a 70 for not to much grief? will i be able to find the parts?

Tj
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Im thinking if I move toward the 455 it should be easy to find one at a pick and pull since they used them in motorhomes right?
Tj
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! My favorite is the 72 Cutlass, though I love em all, lol! My brother in law had a 72 back in the day that I took my drivers test in, and that was it. I was hooked! I had 2 72's way back when, a few Delta 88's and an 85 Cutlass, but my heart belongs to the 72. I too love the look of them! Good luck on your search!
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. If you look hard, are patient, and lucky you will find yourself a very nice Cutlass with a 455 engine and TH400 transmission in good condition. Good luck, and hope we can help you in the search.