Hello all, new and need some info

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:25 PM

Lightbulb Hello all, new and need some info

First of all Id like to say Im glad to see such a comprehensive site dedicated to these cars, its impressive

I just purchased a 1970 442 and I am dire need of some information. It needs a full restore, which I am about to start once I get some info
it is missing the 12 bolt rear end, I was told thats what it came with fromt he guy I got it from. The interior is definitely salvageable, with the rally gauges all missing but the speedo. the radio and random things are missing, but the door panels (the top part, not the ugly cut-pile carpet) are good, as is the rear seat and the other interior components. Those can all be reconditioned, and the bottom portions of the door panels re-upholstered black or something..
there is some rust, but not TOO much. Its mostly along the front and back glass, and where the vinyl top was. Can I just use straight sheet metal to fix those spots?

the best part is the original dueal exhaust is there, and the floor and trunk pans almost look brand new! they will clean up very nicely, also the firewal and engine bay are minty fresh looking

So, I am pretty sure it is a W-30, but I am unsure how to tell that because I cannot locate the body tag or a build sheet. Actually, the only place I could find the vin number was on the door tag. Did these have vin plates in the windshield? because the windshield is broken and a perfect square is cut out on the drivers side bottom of the windshield

I did read this however:
"All W-30 for the 1966 to at least 1972 model year were made in Lansing "M" is the 7th character in the VIN. W-30s have less body and sound insulation.

which mine has, and also the carpet didnt have much insulation under it at all

"Look for a build sheet on top of the gas tank, or behind the rear seat or even under the front seat or under the carpet. make sure the VIN starts with 344. That determines it is a 442. "

my vin does begin with 442

So....... Do you think I am going to be able to get a title for this car, or will I have to find another vin plate with a good title to it.... If so it wont be a 70 W-30 and will be considered a clone wont it...

From which cars can I use the rear end from? I want everything to bolt up with no problems... It had a 12 bolt

all that being said...........I need some advice

Since it is a W30 (unless someone corrects me, I could most definitely be wrong on that) will it still be worth anything if I fix it up to the original specifications?/ how can I do that without the body tag....

Should I just find some random title for it, and resto-mod it? Or get the original 12-bolt, white vinyl top, etc

sorry for writing that small book, I am excited to start this project this is going to be a nice car when I am finished. thanks for the time, Bryan
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM

also, here are a few pictures...

http://yfrog.com/28previouspictures129j

http://yfrog.com/4zpreviouspictures151jx
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by busted442
The VIN tag should be visible through the windshield at the bottom driver's side corner. If it's not there, this is a parts car only. The body tag is on the cowl in front of the VIN tag, above the firewall. Neither will tell you if the car is a W-30 or not, but the lack of red inner fenders would suggest not.

HOWEVER...

The motor mount brackets on the frame are clearly big block mounts. The car used to have manual brakes. I don't know if the paint is original or not, but the side stripe is typical of those used on 442s, but not W-30s. Of course, the thing that makes it a W-30 is the engine, which is long gone.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM

thanks for the reply. The VIN tag is in fact gone, so I cant use this car for anything other than parts? the floor and trunk pans, and firewall are immaculate. Its a shame, I was looking forward to working on this vehicle
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

thanks for the reply. The VIN tag is in fact gone, so I cant use this car for anything other than parts? the floor and trunk pans, and firewall are immaculate. Its a shame, I was looking forward to working on this vehicle
Unfortunately, when a car is scrapped the VIN tag is sometimes cut out and turned in to the DMV. Alternately, the VIN tag, cowl tag, and title for this car are on ebay somewhere.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:42 PM

I searched and didnt see this on Ebay? Could you post a link please?

I think I may just part this car out, as I can get an OK amount out of what I have
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

I searched and didnt see this on Ebay? Could you post a link please?
I was being facetious. Many times one will see auctions for VIN tags and titles from scrapped musclecars. Since I don't know the VIN of that car, how would I know if the right VIN tag was on ebay?
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM

nevermind, I didnt realize I hadnt posted the vin
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:31 AM

well, looks like Im scrapping this now then...

if anyone wants any of the interior or the dual exhaust email me at the_remedy@hotmail.com and I'll put it on buy it now on Ebay for you, I have good feedback